is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by Panapaok »

Soolsma wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Fargo S3 started off pretty darn good last week. Episode 3 is on tonight.
Ep 3 has Ray Wise :)
Such a wonderful surprise! :)
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Watched the Season 1 finale of The Leftovers last night. What a great episode.
I'll see you in the trees
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Rainwater wrote:Watched the Season 1 finale of The Leftovers last night. What a great episode.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's my own favorite episode by far so far.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Haven't been as obsessed over anything - TV and Film, as I am with Twin Peaks. Well, the only thing dancing in the same league are Lynch's other fiction work. Nothing else. I'm a huge movie geek but nothing else than the work of Lynch comes close. I don't watch TV series, at least if they are longer than one season.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
Rainwater wrote:Watched the Season 1 finale of The Leftovers last night. What a great episode.
Mine as well.
Comments about the show switching gears in Season 2 have me a bit worried, as I really enjoyed the tone of this one.
I'll see you in the trees
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

The other show I've been obsessed with has been Attack on Titan. It's so, so good. I don't really watch any other modern anime, but I will always love anime. I also read the manga, which is WAY ahead of the anime, and it is batshit crazy in the best way possible!
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Rainwater wrote:
John Justice Wheeler wrote:
Mine as well.
Comments about the show switching gears in Season 2 have me a bit worried, as I really enjoyed the tone of this one.
There are many who love that second season and are very vocal about it and consider it far superior to the first (perhaps exactly because of the tone shift you mention). I am not among them. I like and admire much of that season and I think it's about as well done as it could be given its focus but for me at least it only served to indicate what a remarkable accomplishment that first season was and how delicate and precarious it was too. It's a very fine balancing act.The emotional catharsis of the season 1 finale is earned and developed toward while the finale of season 2, while much lauded, just seemed excessively self-indulgent to me (as is much of that season).
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NightTimeMyTime wrote: I don't watch TV series, at least if they are longer than one season.
You should probably change that ASAP. It's where the excellent storytelling's at nowadays. Movies really can't hold a candle to it.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent Earle wrote:
NightTimeMyTime wrote: I don't watch TV series, at least if they are longer than one season.
You should probably change that ASAP. It's where the excellent storytelling's at nowadays. Movies really can't hold a candle to it.
Damn right! I find myself losing more and more interest in current movies while at the same time gaining more interest and appreciation of TV today.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Since having kids, TV has been much easier than movies. I rarely get 90 minutes to watch something, let alone 2-3 hours.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I only get 45 minutes to watch TV by doing the old "do you want me to go and rock the baby to sleep?" + noise cancelling headphones and laptop trick :-D
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

underthefan wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Damn right! I find myself losing more and more interest in current movies while at the same time gaining more interest and appreciation of TV today.
I respect TV series and the form very much, when it's free and brave in it's narrative and loosen up from the "dramatic curve"- and "3-level narrative"-structures. In short, when TV series gets creative in the narrative and doesn't bound itself on episode structures and season structures and structures overall, but the bigger story. Which is happening alot now, what I've heard. The reason I watch too little of it is because I suck when it comes to structure and following things. I drop out in the middle of seasons because of my concentration issues.

Also though, my interests in fiction are atmosphere/feeling-based more than narrative-based. The series I should watch are those with a lot of atmosphere. I also love when I get addicted to the world of the series and just want to watch more and more and more. I am able to get to this state (the key to loving series) but then I need a lot of time and don't have other interests in mind at the same period of my life. I'm a deep focus kind of guy. Quality before quantities. :)
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

AXX°N N. wrote:I think in terms of sheer mindless addiction I was more obsessed with LOST, although I for sure love and at that respect Twin Peaks more just out of sheer artistry. The only other TV show which comes close in the department of subversive art is all the way over in Japan, with Evangelion.
Seconding this. I got unhealthily addicted to Lost, but the only other show I've loved and thought about as much as Twin Peaks is Evangelion.
Agent Earle wrote:
I prefer cinema as a medium, for quality over quantity reasons. I prefer something tighter moment to moment. Aesthetic value is really important for me, and film is still a much richer medium for this.
But there's no question that America is producing better content on the small screen right now. I'd still give the edge to cinema if international work is considered.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

Outside of Twin Peaks, Dennis Potter's "The Singing Detective" is the only "show/serial" that I have time for. Potter's multi-layered serial is the best TV writing that I've ever seen, and will ever see.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Cde. wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:I think in terms of sheer mindless addiction I was more obsessed with LOST, although I for sure love and at that respect Twin Peaks more just out of sheer artistry. The only other TV show which comes close in the department of subversive art is all the way over in Japan, with Evangelion.
Seconding this. I got unhealthily addicted to Lost, but the only other show I've loved and thought about as much as Twin Peaks is Evangelion.
Agent Earle wrote:
I prefer cinema as a medium, for quality over quantity reasons. I prefer something tighter moment to moment. Aesthetic value is really important for me, and film is still a much richer medium for this.
But there's no question that America is producing better content on the small screen right now. I'd still give the edge to cinema if international work is considered.
Yeah, movies are winning if it's "the best movies of all time vs the best TV of all time" competition. And I rather watch 10 handpicked movies I haven't watched but seems interesting, than watching two seasons of a top noche TV series. The great thing is that I doesn't need to do that kind of choice. :)

I'm going to watch Legion in a couple of days. Been hearing it's pretty complex and bold. Even some comparisons with Lynch and Twin Peaks. Watched True Detective season 1 when it was new and I loved it obvsiously. Watched Stranger Things season 1 and liked it. Looking forward to season 2. Hoping to watch Taboo sometime soon, but will focus on Legion first.