'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:59 am

Has anyone yet noted that the "murder weapon" Dwayne holds up after Dougie's death in Episode 19 is a (fictional) book called My Secret Life by (series AD) Chris Gerrity? I doubt it's intentional, but the title is oddly appropriate for Doug in retrospect.
User avatar
AXX°N N.
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby AXX°N N. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone yet noted that the "murder weapon" Dwayne holds up after Dougie's death in Episode 19 is a (fictional) book called My Secret Life by (series AD) Chris Gerrity? I doubt it's intentional, but the title is oddly appropriate for Doug in retrospect.

No, but wow!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
User avatar
laughingpinecone
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am
Location: D'ni
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby laughingpinecone » Mon May 08, 2017 5:27 am

Reading up on House of Leaves (highly recommended, especially to the Inland Empire crowd) and there's this interview with the author where he states
Pretty soon you begin to notice that at every level in the novel some act of inter-
pretation is going on. The question is, why? Well, there are many rea-
sons, but the most important one is that everything we encounter
involves an act of interpretation on our part. And this doesn’t just apply
to what we encounter in books, but to what we respond to in life. Oh, we
live comfortably because we create these sacred domains in our head
where we believe that we have a specific history, a certain set of expe-
riences. We believe that our memories keep us in direct touch with
what has happened. But memory never puts us in touch with anything
directly; it’s always interpretive, reductive, a complicated compression
of information.

source
...sounds familiar, doesn't it! Look at these majestic literary precedents.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
User avatar
secretlettermkr
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby secretlettermkr » Mon May 08, 2017 7:20 am

laughingpinecone wrote:Reading up on House of Leaves (highly recommended, especially to the Inland Empire crowd) and there's this interview with the author where he states
Pretty soon you begin to notice that at every level in the novel some act of inter-
pretation is going on. The question is, why? Well, there are many rea-
sons, but the most important one is that everything we encounter
involves an act of interpretation on our part. And this doesn’t just apply
to what we encounter in books, but to what we respond to in life. Oh, we
live comfortably because we create these sacred domains in our head
where we believe that we have a specific history, a certain set of expe-
riences. We believe that our memories keep us in direct touch with
what has happened. But memory never puts us in touch with anything
directly; it’s always interpretive, reductive, a complicated compression
of information.

source
...sounds familiar, doesn't it! Look at these majestic literary precedents.


NICE!
User avatar
secretlettermkr
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby secretlettermkr » Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 pm

HI, I read this book when it was realesed last year, but only LISTENED to it (the audio version) recently. The Cooper's parts got me thinking, he sounds COLD, ROBOTIC, almost CYNICAL. The reading really adds to the theory of BAD COOP messing things up. It sounds like Coop, cause is Mac Lachlan reading, but it feels off, because is not Coop but his "evil" double who wrote this papers.
-thoughts?

and excuse me if this was discussed before, as I said, the audio version i just listened recently
User avatar
laughingpinecone
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am
Location: D'ni
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby laughingpinecone » Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

secretlettermkr wrote:HI, I read this book when it was realesed last year, but only LISTENED to it (the audio version) recently. The Cooper's parts got me thinking, he sounds COLD, ROBOTIC, almost CYNICAL. The reading really adds to the theory of BAD COOP messing things up. It sounds like Coop, cause is Mac Lachlan reading, but it feels off, because is not Coop but his "evil" double who wrote this papers.
-thoughts?

and excuse me if this was discussed before, as I said, the audio version i just listened recently

I felt the same, but the contents of his section really didn't strike me as out of line for regular Coop... could it be just an uninspired reading by Kmac? Or his "Coop reading official reports" voice? Or maybe Doppelcoop really isn't that far from the Coop we know, it's him and he'd write very similar reports on Josie etc.
idk if/how this factors into anything, but a lot of voices were shuffled: DPK played Gordon, Amy Shiels didn't play her show character... maybe it was the wrong Coop reading those lines, haha!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
User avatar
secretlettermkr
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby secretlettermkr » Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 pm

laughingpinecone wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:HI, I read this book when it was realesed last year, but only LISTENED to it (the audio version) recently. The Cooper's parts got me thinking, he sounds COLD, ROBOTIC, almost CYNICAL. The reading really adds to the theory of BAD COOP messing things up. It sounds like Coop, cause is Mac Lachlan reading, but it feels off, because is not Coop but his "evil" double who wrote this papers.
-thoughts?

and excuse me if this was discussed before, as I said, the audio version i just listened recently

I felt the same, but the contents of his section really didn't strike me as out of line for regular Coop... could it be just an uninspired reading by Kmac? Or his "Coop reading official reports" voice? Or maybe Doppelcoop really isn't that far from the Coop we know, it's him and he'd write very similar reports on Josie etc.
idk if/how this factors into anything, but a lot of voices were shuffled: DPK played Gordon, Amy Shiels didn't play her show character... maybe it was the wrong Coop reading those lines, haha!

I felt there were mean coments on some of the persons he talked about, didnt notice when i first read the book, maybe because this was not a section that i was very interested in, or i dont know why, but listening (and reading at the same time) i defenitly felt that was not the "good dale".
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon May 08, 2017 1:54 pm

laughingpinecone wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:(...) Amy Shiels didn't play her show character...


I don't think we known that, unless you've read spoilers that I haven't. (I do kind of hope that's the case, though, as I found her delivery very grating and would prefer to see her play a different type of character.)

Kyle's reading was definitely flat, but I interpreted it more as a "choice"' to do a more straightforward audiobook reading, as opposed to Tamblyn and Horse's more colorful (and enjoyable) in-character approaches. It is interesting that the flat delivery is a bit reminiscent of "I need to brush my teeth."
User avatar
secretlettermkr
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby secretlettermkr » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:is interesting that the flat delivery is a bit reminiscent of "I need to brush my teeth."
this...
User avatar
laughingpinecone
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am
Location: D'ni
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby laughingpinecone » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:(...) Amy Shiels didn't play her show character...


I don't think we known that, unless you've read spoilers that I haven't. (I do kind of hope that's the case, though, as I found her delivery very grating and would prefer to see her play a different type of character.)

Kyle's reading was definitely flat, but I interpreted it more as a "choice"' to do a more straightforward audiobook reading, as opposed to Tamblyn and Horse's more colorful (and enjoyable) in-character approaches. It is interesting that the flat delivery is a bit reminiscent of "I need to brush my teeth."

I'm very bad at voices, so I relied on the sleuthing on this board - I'm 99% sure the consensus was that Amy Wersching, who's not on the show, voiced Agent TP. Therefore, Shiels had to be one or both of the other female voices, which were Audrey and Margaret.

secretlettermkr wrote: I felt there were mean coments on some of the persons he talked about, didnt notice when i first read the book, maybe because this was not a section that i was very interested in, or i dont know why, but listening (and reading at the same time) i defenitly felt that was not the "good dale".

He was salty as a sardine for sure, but I chalked it up to Coop's meaner streaks (like in the pilot) and the fact that he had a very legitimate beef with Josie for wrecking Harry and also maybe shooting him
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon May 08, 2017 2:16 pm

laughingpinecone wrote:I'm very bad at voices, so I relied on the sleuthing on this board - I'm 99% sure the consensus was that Amy Wersching, who's not on the show, voiced Agent TP. Therefore, Shiels had to be one or both of the other female voices, which were Audrey and Margaret.


Ah! For some reason I thought people had decided that Shiels was TP. I'm also awful with voices. My mistake!
User avatar
laughingpinecone
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am
Location: D'ni
Contact:

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby laughingpinecone » Mon May 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ah! For some reason I thought people had decided that Shiels was TP. I'm also awful with voices. My mistake!

The reason is probably that we all thought she'd be TP before the book's release! Just like we thought that the book would feature Jerry, because DPK was in it, and that we'd get our first glimpse of Robert Knepper's character. Getting characters confirmed more than six months before the premiere, sure... ah, the naivety of youth... :mrgreen:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dalai Cooper
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 am

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Dalai Cooper » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm not great with voices either, but I'm pretty sure that's knepper voicing the young dougie at least.

Re Cooper, he could be a little flinty in the show at times, with suspects or people he disliked or the kids or doc hayward - and he was wary and mistrustful of Josie throughout, to the point of being kind of a dick to Harry after her death (as someone pointed out to me, his slightly out-of-character judginess about eg her past as a sex worker might stem from hostility over the fact that she shot him, a plot point that's easy for me to forget, but I prefer to attribute it to, as coop himself would say, "sexual jealousy" :D )
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue May 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Couple more things I noticed on my rewatch/reread: Audrey's mention of Ghostwood possibly including a prison (page 229) seems to be a really deep-cut reference to p. 109 of the Access Guide, which says some shadowy organization known as DLMF Creations (har har) has been proposing a prison development for years, and Ben knows an opportunity when he sees one. I'm assuming this was some plot idea Frost had for season 3? It's curious that he brought it back in TSHoTP...wonder if it will be mentioned in the Return.

The Mill land sale contract (p. 227) appears to have been based off of the Ghostwood land sale contract prop in Episode 7: same executing administrative judge (Hon. M.J. Kaffee), same money amount ($33million), same county (Timber Lull -- I assumed this was the name of the county where One Eyed Jack's was located). It's not an exact copy, however; in addition to changing the parties and the land at issue, it also corrects the series' "March 1990" date to "March 23, 1989." Weird bit of pseudo-continuity.

Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests