NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

And I like Dune most of all which, I guess, is just about the most heretical thing you can say as a purported Lynch fan (Heretic of Dune?).
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Looked into this and on Amazons website it says shows are typically available on demand the same time as they're broadcast.
I, too, noticed that the marketing stated that shows would be available at the same time as they're broadcast. But when I contacted Showtime and Amazon customer service, initially just to ask about when Parts 3-4 would be available, I was told by both Showtime and Amazon representatives that Amazon usually doesn't post episodes of Showtime original programming until 24-36 hours after it airs. I was upset for sure! The Showtime rep, not surprisingly, recommended that I order directly through Showtime.com and that if I did so, they could ensure that each Part would be available on-demand immediately. I was surprised, however, that the Amazon rep said the same thing!

I guess the operative word in the marketing is "typically"--gives them wiggle-room if/when it doesn't happen.

Glad to hear about Guerrilla premiering on time and I hope it bodes well for all the folks here with the Amazon Showtime channel.
Jaipeur

Post by Jaipeur »

I just updated my apps from the iTunes Store and the showtime app's update was stated as "support for twin peaks." Hoping this bodes well for us cord-cutters.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I went out and purchased a new 65 inch OLED tv for this event. And then was appalled to find that Comcast lowered the quality of their HD from 1080i to 720p. It looks like crap on the new TV. So, I then tested Amazon Prime's Showtime app through Fire TV. If you purchase Showtime for $8.99 through Amazon Prime and watch it through the Fire TV app, you can watch a live stream of Showtime and rewind up to 60 minutes. And on my 65 inch TV, it looks better than Showtime on Comcast. Just FYI to anybody and everybody.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

LateReg wrote:I went out and purchased a new 65 inch OLED tv for this event. And then was appalled to find that Comcast lowered the quality of their HD from 1080i to 720p. It looks like crap on the new TV. So, I then tested Amazon Prime's Showtime app through Fire TV. If you purchase Showtime for $8.99 through Amazon Prime and watch it through the Fire TV app, you can watch a live stream of Showtime and rewind up to 60 minutes. And on my 65 inch TV, it looks better than Showtime on Comcast. Just FYI to anybody and everybody.
Interesting ... maybe I'll stream it through my Apple TV on the showtime anytime app instead of Comcast !
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LateReg wrote:I went out and purchased a new 65 inch OLED tv for this event. And then was appalled to find that Comcast lowered the quality of their HD from 1080i to 720p. It looks like crap on the new TV. So, I then tested Amazon Prime's Showtime app through Fire TV. If you purchase Showtime for $8.99 through Amazon Prime and watch it through the Fire TV app, you can watch a live stream of Showtime and rewind up to 60 minutes. And on my 65 inch TV, it looks better than Showtime on Comcast. Just FYI to anybody and everybody.
It bugs me to no end large media providers skimping out on proper HD. It's like they actively want to make internet streaming a better experience. For example, here in Canada, my dad spends a ton on a big cable package; but the majority of channels are still standard definition. Maybe people wouldn't turn to piracy or cord cutting if the one utility *dedicated to transferring video* would actually do it better than just getting it online. It boggles me mind, as at this point it's probably been over a decade since you've even been able to buy a standard definition television set, maybe longer.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Gabriel wrote:
LateReg wrote: Those are interesting points. Something that I find very interesting, however, is that without getting into a debate about which films are Lynch's best, the three films of his that are considered his established masterpieces are those that he wrote himself with no collaborators or prior source material: Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.
Yes, but opinions are subjective. For me, Eraserhead is a load of old toss and Mulholland Dr is 90 minutes of great TV pilot followed by 45 minutes of nonsense. Blue Velvet, though, is an all-time favourite and I adore The Straight Story, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart (which apparently it is now 'uncool' to do so,) FWWM and The Elephant Man.

Eraserhead... I'm dubious about it being a 'masterpiece.' It's a cult hit that has had some critical reappraisal (usually a case of critics chickening out shen a large minority of people like something they didn't) but it doesn't have the crossover appeal of the likes of Blue Velvet.

I dunno, even when I think David Lynch makes something I consider 'bad,' such as Mulholland Dr or Eraserhead, I still respect it. Absolutely my favourite filmmaker.
Yes, sorry if I was unclear at all. I was just stating as a counter to Frost's opinions that it's interesting that Lynch's established masterpieces are the only three he wrote by himself without collaborators or existing source material. By "established" I was trying to be objective, not going off anyone's personal opinions but the general critical esteem of his work. I think Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive are the three films that are bound to top any critics polls of his best films because they've been doing just that for years now. As for Eraserhead not being a masterpiece, I think there's still a great number of fans out there who were on board since the start and believe that it is still his purest, and therefore his best, movie. Jonathan Rosenbaum, for example. And it placed in the top 200 films of all time in the most recent, prestigious Sight and Sound poll, ranking just behind Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive and well above his other films; it also ranks third amongst Lynch films on Theyshootpictures, placing in the top 300. It also receives 5 stars on Allmovie.com. Etc. All of this is just to say that I think it's a pretty fair assessment that those three films are generally considered his masterpieces, whether you or I or anybody else agrees with them or not. For the record, I do think it is a masterpiece. In my eyes, it's an astounding technical achievement that is also unlike anything else out there, a fully imagined world that remains elusive 40 years later.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Jonah wrote:
Again people make it sound like the ratings started to go down only during the second season and because of that they moved the air day to Saturday,
while the reality is that the ratings were already dropping during the first season and the decision to change they air day to Saturdays was made before the first season ended.
I was just watching the 1990 Donahue show with the cast of Twin Peaks where I was again reminded of this by Frost telling before the last episode was aired that Twin Peaks continues to the second season but in Saturdays.

It's one of my pet peeves on the subject of Twin Peaks because it always makes people to make more knee-jerk "season 1 was a golden success and season 2 was shit" reactions while in reality Twin Peaks was already in trouble during the first season.

Other than that those are great videos and I was suprised to see two videos released at the same time! I hope this means they will upload perhaps even daily videos for us :)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rudagger wrote:
It bugs me to no end large media providers skimping out on proper HD. It's like they actively want to make internet streaming a better experience. For example, here in Canada, my dad spends a ton on a big cable package; but the majority of channels are still standard definition. Maybe people wouldn't turn to piracy or cord cutting if the one utility *dedicated to transferring video* would actually do it better than just getting it online. It boggles me mind, as at this point it's probably been over a decade since you've even been able to buy a standard definition television set, maybe longer.
That's exactly how I feel. I never watch TV. I'm accustomed to blu-rays, and some netflix. I've accepted that streaming wasn't always the best, but grasped its virtues and hoped that it catches up sooner than later. But I couldn't believe that cable was still not regularly broadcast in 1080p, especially when it is billed as HD and when so many people have owned 1080p televisions for years. I understand that comcast only recently started this process of downgrading the quality of their HD channels, so perhaps if Twin Peaks would have aired a year ago, I wouldn't be complaining. But on a 65 inch 4k TV...the 720p doesn't cut it. It will, however, look much better on even a 55 inch TV. It's that extra screen space that actually makes a world of difference in highlighting the flaws of lower resolution and poor transfer speed (or whatever you'd call how the signal is broadcast).
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Last 45 min of Mulholland Dr ... are what I consider Lynch firing on all pistons. Brilliantly directed material.

On another note, here's a fun, creative promo made by our local cinematheque for FWWM screening:

https://www.facebook.com/winnipegcinema ... f=NEWSFEED
Last edited by Snailhead on Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Snailhead wrote:Last 45 min of Mulholland Dr ... are what I consider Lynch firing on all pistons. Brilliantly directed material.

On another note, here's a promo made by our local cinematheque for FWWM screening:

https://www.facebook.com/winnipegcinema ... f=NEWSFEED
Absolutely. The last 45 minutes of MD are everything.
Odnetnin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Odnetnin »

Mind sharing what brand? I'm starting to fear my 42" isn't going to cut it. I'm even more worried about sound, though I don't know where to start with sound bars and speaker systems and the like. I wanted to go all-out for this Return.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Odnetnin wrote:
Mind sharing what brand? I'm starting to fear my 42" isn't going to cut it. I'm even more worried about sound, though I don't know where to start with sound bars and speaker systems and the like. I wanted to go all-out for this Return.
It's an LG. Blu-rays look amazing on it...Mulholland Drive looked better than I've ever seen it. But sadly, not Comcast.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I have one issue with my LG TV which might be fixed in newer models.

You get the "soap opera effect" unless you turn off the frame interpolation, which is fine. That's normal on modern TVs. The problem is that when you use apps from the Smart TV, it overrides your settings and basically seems to ignore any picture settings. That makes the Smart TV useless for any serious viewing (it's only ok for Peppa Pig for my son!). I get round it by plugging a laptop in, but it's annoying.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Just picked up an OLED as well.... 65 inch.. Netflix, either 4k (preferable) or regular streaming is amazing. Kung Fun Panda 3 (the best of the series, IMHO) is unbelievable. I also checked out the Showtime streaming look, and it's fine. In fact, better than fine. I do understand that streaming is just that.... an imperfect stream, but it sure looks a helluva lot better than 1990 Twin Peaks on my 19inch Toshiba tube. :mrgreen:
We live inside a dream.