MTTH: Buying a watch

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

MTTH: Buying a watch

Postby applesnoranges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:28 pm

The music continues from the previous segment in Smithie's house, so this seems to be one block of the movie, not separate ones. We see a lampshade (which I don't identify), then a slow pan up a painting of a pregnant angel reaching up for doves but whose foot has been scratched, then we see a pool with torches around it and the interior of what seems to be a somewhat "eastern" looking temple. People are wandering around like zombies and some are dancing mechanically in another room.

No characters are identified so I'll use the initials of the actors to indicate who is speaking, G for Gruszka and M for Majchzrzak. I can't tell exactly everything that is said because of the accents so I'll indicate that by (?).

M. is sitting on the floor with a zombie woman opposite him not speaking; the impression is that he is controlling her with his thoughts. As she leaves we see G. looking around, zombie couples watch her approach M. with pained but helpless expressions. She sits on the floor facing M who is slouching against a wall.

M. (says something in Polish)

G. What?

M. (more Polish)

G. You're speaking ... Polish.

M. (more Polish)

G. I don't understand.

M. (says something, maybe it means, "Are you Polish?")

G. I don't ... speak it.

M. You want to buy a watch? (opens his coat to show many watches inside.)

G. I have heard about them.

M. What did you hear?

G. That they are magic.

M. Magic!

G. Yes and that they bring you some good luck. Do they?

M. They tell time!

G. What else?

M. What more do you want from a watch?

G. I already have a watch that tells time.

M. So what more do you want?

G. I want ...

M. Yeah?

G. I heard that they bring good luck.

M. Only if you give something. No?

G. What? Money?

M. Yeah! They cost twenty-five dollars!

G. And this is it? (?)

M. No! You hold my hand.

G. I don't understand.

M. I'm speaking English. (?)

G. Hold your hand I mean....

M. You give me twenty-five dollars. you hold my hand for ... two seconds!

G. And then?

M. Then you'll have good luck.

G. Real good luck?

M. Yes. I will look over you.

G. What?

M. Don't you understand?

G. I want to have some good luck. Things are not going so good. But ... no it's just, uh, crazy to be thinking a watch can bring good luck. And you say you'll look over me ... it's just pooping me out?. (?) (Old expression meaning "making me tired".) What is this really?

M. You have heard something. What you heard has made you curious. Now you come here, you come here to me! Others have come to me. There hae been many others! I sell you a watch and you will have a change in what you call luck.

G. For the better?

M. Yeah!

G. Real good luck?

M. Yeah, it will be good luck! Who wants bad luck?

G. I want ... good luck.

M. Buy a watch from me.

G. You scare me (?) I think ... I think ... that ... I want to buy the watch.

M. It's your decision.

G. The others who bought the watches, what about them?

M. What about them! They have what they wanted! What about them....

G. What ... what do you want from me?

M. I want to hold your hand.

G. And, uh ... twenty-five dollars?

M. Nothing can happen unless you will it!

G. I am ... I forget (?)! Sell me a watch! Just sell me one of your lucky watches.

(She takes money out of her shoe and hands it to him. He holds out the watch on a little piece of cloth that seems to protect his hand from it. (Or maybe this relates to the silk, the "fabric of time".) As she reaches for it with the money, he grabs her hand, clutching it hard. He tightens his grip working up to her wrist. Then we see a close up of his face that looks just like one we have seen of Devon as Billy in one of the sex scenes. Then we see her face showing no will, as if her soul has been taken, she is a zombie. We see the painting again, a devil under a rock is reaching up with claws toward the angel's scratched foot. We see fire in the darkness and a damned soul covering his/her face with hands and rocking slowly who looks like a figure from near the bottom of Michelangelo's Last judgment. Then more fire and sparks. The music continues into the next scene: Mr. K.'s face in a very strange monolog sequence.)
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Thank you very much for writing down this dialogue, applesnoranges!!!

applesnoranges wrote:The music continues from the previous segment in Smithie's house, so this seems to be one block of the movie, not separate ones.


What happens in the previous segment in Smithie`s house? Who is there?

M. is sitting on the floor with a zombie woman opposite him not speaking; the impression is that he is controlling her with his thoughts.


Is the behaviour of this zombie woman somewhat similar to that of Visitor 2?

M. (says something in Polish)


Inform the subtitles about what he says?

G. I have heard about them.


Is there somewhere in MTTH a scene from which we can know where she heard about them?

M. They tell time!


btw - There is this quote from one of the rabbits: "It has something to do with the telling of time." I think that this is an important hint. Reminds me on 9.45 and 3.00 (btw - in Europe this is an unusual time for hotdogs - how is this for California?)

But ... no it's just, uh, crazy to be thinking a watch can bring good luck.


G. And, uh ... twenty-five dollars?


Is G. somehow similar to Doris at the police-station here?

She takes money out of her shoe and hands it to him.


We see the painting again, a devil under a rock is reaching up with claws toward the angel's scratched foot.


So maybe G. "is" the angel and M. the devil?!

Mr. K.'s face in a very strange monolog sequence.


About what is this monolog?
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:48 am

MichaelPW wrote:What happens in the previous segment in Smithie`s house? Who is there?

It is just Sue and her husband arguing about where his shoes are. Actually there are 3 little sequences. The first one starts MTTH and is almost entirely visual. Beautiful night time scene of lights and shadows on the wall as he pulls up outside in his car, opens and closes the door, etc. Then the second one is Sue emptying the garbage. I think this scene is just to give information about the layout of the house. If I had time I'd like to take captures of all the scenes inside and outside this house to see if they make sense. I don't think they do; it's a strange place. Then the third one is the argument about the shoes. They are very unhappy with each other and being sarcastic. Then he finds his shoes and she asks where he is going because it's 11 o'clock at night. Then he looks very puzzled and says, "I ... I wonder what I was thinking." Then it goes to the temple scene with Gruszka.
M. is sitting on the floor with a zombie woman

Is the behaviour of this zombie woman somewhat similar to that of Visitor 2?

No, she is as if numb and speechless. Visitor #2 reminds me of the strange woman in FWWM who comes up to the office shaking. I don't know how to describe these characters; they just seem to be ideas that came to DL.
M. (says something in Polish)

Inform the subtitles about what he says?

No. I think we are not supposed to know if we are not Polish, but it doesn't matter; it's just some greeting. Personally I think this whole thing is because Nikki is dreaming this. Gruszka says, "I don't speak it", just as Nikki did. She also says, "I don't understand", like Nikki. This is strange because though she claims not to speak Polish, she is speaking English with a Polish accent; this tells me it's a dream. Nikki is the one who heard that 4 7 was based on a Polish Gypsy folk tale and this seems to me to be her dream of what this folk tale may have been like. Or, even more likely, Visitor #1's version of the story in both the Nikki and Lost Girl scenes. V1 is the one who knows about both.
G. I have heard about them.

Is there somewhere in MTTH a scene from which we can know where she heard about them?

No.
M. They tell time!

btw - There is this quote from one of the rabbits: "It has something to do with the telling of time." I think that this is an important hint.

Absolutely! What the connection is I can't say, but it is there.
(btw - in Europe this is an unusual time for hotdogs - how is this for California?)

I don't do that sort of thing, but I think many people do. My son, for example, is an excellent barbecue cook and he has had afternoon parties like that. btw: One of my German friends told me that Germans drink beer when the weather is dry and when it is raining and when it day and when it is night and when it is summer and when it is winter, etc. etc. etc. :)

But ... no it's just, uh, crazy to be thinking a watch can bring good luck.

G. And, uh ... twenty-five dollars?

Is G. somehow similar to Doris at the police-station here?

No, in this whole scene Karolina Gruszka is one of the most appealing and beautiful creatures ever seen on screen. She is acting like a confused young woman, yes, but she is very animated and full of life. That makes it all the more surprising that she didn't decide to not take the watch. She knew better, but she was so desperate and lacked such confidence in herself that she let herself be trapped.
So maybe G. "is" the angel and M. the devil?!

It's presented just like that. Or, she is like a beautiful insect that gets caught in a spider's web.
Mr. K.'s face in a very strange monolog sequence.

About what is this monolog?

That one is very long and very, very strange. The most confusing and incomprehensible part of the whole movie; you'd love it. It would take a long time to write it so, briefly, she starts out, "It was a night like any other night...." Then she talks about her husband taking something out of the drawer and turning off the light and not answering when she asks what is going on. Then she says, and we see this, that she goes outside, walks across the lawn, and walks into what we can see is Smithie's house, and she says, "I'm not shitting you I'm not in my house! I'm in some other place!" Then she wanders around in there and winds up in underground tunnels with flashing lights and ... bingo! Her we are in Nikki's mansion and Nikki is creeping downstairs in the dark. Then she goes outside and goes for a walk, then we see Dern back inside going back up the stairs. But if you look very closely, the grey suit she is wearing is not exactly the same one she wore on the way down. Very similar, but not the same. So this seems to be Sue coming into Nikki's house to spy on her. She goes upstairs and knocks on a door, hears no answer so she goes inside through a couple of rooms and finds Nikki lying on the floor crying into the phone, which is just lying there beside her head. She's almost as if drugged but I think she is just that distressed and depressed. She is talking to Devon and the phantom at the same time. (The phantom speaking Polish, with subtitles.) Devon is trying to get rid of her and she keeps crying and begging to see him. The phantom, meanwhile, seems like a very nice guy. We can't read everything he's saying but she's answering like, "I didn't kill anybody! i don't even know where that is!" and crying. He says, "It could have destroyed a dream!" Finally, Nikki snaps out of it and starts screaming into the phone, "Leave me alone!" Then we see Sue, as her double, in the doorway laughing at her.

Later in the movie there is another long, long, long Dern monolog all told in the present tense about her current life. It has nothing at all to do with the rest of the movie, with any of the other characters. She talks about living in a sort of back porch of the house of her sister and her sisters husband and going on endlessly about how much she hates him. This is the sequence where she tells the story of her mother's hand getting smashed flat as a pancake and Mr. K. says, "I like pancakes."
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:05 pm

About the 3:00 backyard party. I see what you mean. But the strange thing is how he says, "Right on time!" Usually for something like that, people would be invited to come by any time in the afternoon, not at a specific time, as for a meeting. People would normally come over early and then visit while the food was being prepared so no one would be expected at a certain time. But in this scene we learn that he has taken a job with the performing troop so it's not just a party. He seems cheerful when he says Gordy is right on time but Gordy is not amused; he is there on business. It's just another thing that doesn't make normal sense and so must be a dream. And for that matter, why are the other performers there, why do they have their "toys" or whatever, and, as you mentioned, why are they so childlike? It just looks dreamlike to me.
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:22 pm

applesnoranges wrote:If I had time I'd like to take captures of all the scenes inside and outside this house to see if they make sense.


What exactly does "take captures" mean?

Then he finds his shoes and she asks where he is going because it's 11 o'clock at night. Then he looks very puzzled and says, "I ... I wonder what I was thinking."


How nice! So we have 3.00, 9.45 and 11.00. Also 11.00 seem to fit in the "life-span-theory". So 11.00 can mean here "only one hour left to live". This can puzzle indeed. It seems that he thought that there is more time left.

This is strange because though she claims not to speak Polish, she is speaking English with a Polish accent; this tells me it's a dream.


Maybe this is just because Gruszka is Polish.

btw: One of my German friends told me that Germans drink beer when the weather is dry and when it is raining and when it day and when it is night and when it is summer and when it is winter, etc. etc. etc.


I like wheat beer on Fridays. :)

No, in this whole scene Karolina Gruszka is one of the most appealing and beautiful creatures ever seen on screen.


Think that she is also very beautiful in the Queen Kelly scene.

That makes it all the more surprising that she didn't decide to not take the watch.


It`s the same with Nikki. She lives in a very luxurious house, has a butler and says that they like to live there. Nikki says "Wait a minute" and after that "See you after the shoot". She wants "more" luck. But suddenly her husband isn`t the mightiest man anymore and she must save money. And finally she is in the position of a street girl.

Then she talks about her husband taking something out of the drawer and turning off the light and not answering when she asks what is going on.


That`s interesting. What took he out? Maybe a gun.

The phantom, meanwhile, seems like a very nice guy. We can't read everything he's saying but she's answering like, "I didn't kill anybody! i don't even know where that is!" and crying.


How interesting! Maybe more evidence that the phantom is "just" an illusion.
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 am

MichaelPW wrote:
applesnoranges wrote:What exactly does "take captures" mean?

Also called "screen shots" or "screen pics"; making a graphic of what is on a computer screen with a command.

How nice! So we have 3.00, 9.45 and 11.00. Also 11.00 seem to fit in the "life-span-theory". So 11.00 can mean here "only one hour left to live". This can puzzle indeed. It seems that he thought that there is more time left.

But in this case he does not go out. The scene ends there but it seems to me that she convinces him to stay home. So I take it as a way in which she is altering the story, interfering with his fate, and saving him. Just how it seems for now.

This is strange because though she claims not to speak Polish, she is speaking English with a Polish accent; this tells me it's a dream.

Maybe this is just because Gruszka is Polish.

Of course, but Lynch made that part of the movie. Otherwise we would have to consider it an error. Surely he noticed that it would not make sense for her to speak English with a Polish accent without knowing Polish. It just says to me as clearly as possible that it is what Nikki dreams or imagines about the folk tale she heard about.
I like wheat beer on Fridays. :)

Das ist Hefeweizen, Ja? :)
That makes it all the more surprising that she didn't decide to not take the watch.

It`s the same with Nikki. She lives in a very luxurious house, has a butler and says that they like to live there. Nikki says "Wait a minute" and after that "See you after the shoot". She wants "more" luck. But suddenly her husband isn`t the mightiest man anymore and she must save money. And finally she is in the position of a street girl.

Hmmm. That's true. I wonder why. It may be something Visitor #1 is using the story to warn her about. But this also adds weight to the idea that this buying a watch scene is coming from Nikki; it represents her own doubts etc.
That`s interesting. What took he out? Maybe a gun.

It definitely seems to mean that, but I think she is wrong; I think he is putting the gun IN the drawer, but she can't see clearly what he is doing and is guessing. She seems to be describing the scene we saw earlier of him getting into bed and turning out the light. I think that in that earlier scene it was the Piotrek in Poland who left the séance and went into the American story to put the gun there for her. At first it looks like Sue's husband spying on her but I don't think it is.
The phantom, meanwhile, seems like a very nice guy. We can't read everything he's saying but she's answering like, "I didn't kill anybody! i don't even know where that is!" and crying.

How interesting! Maybe more evidence that the phantom is "just" an illusion.

I shouldn't have said the phantom; I don't know. But it is Majchrzak's voice. He also seems to play Crimp. Many people seem to think that Crimp lived next door and Sue had an affair with him, then imagined Billy to make herself seem less guilty. In any case, the Theroux and Majchrzak characters seem related here. She's hearing both at once on one phone so it is not clear who she is talking to. Devon calls her Nikki so that is how we know who she is and who he is, but the other guy we don't know about. He's someone she had an affair with because he acknowledges that in his conversation.
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:32 pm

applesnoranges wrote:But in this case he does not go out.


Maybe he is paralyzed because of knowing that only one hour is left. At 9.45 the "atmosphere" is like "there are only two hours and a quarter left, but this is potential for great things to come".

Surely he noticed that it would not make sense for her to speak English with a Polish accent without knowing Polish.


Think primarily that this Polish accent comes from the way how she speaks English. It seems important that she speaks English here. Maybe to have a clear parallel to Nikki.

Das ist Hefeweizen, Ja?


Ja, dunkel oder trüb gefällt mir besonders. :)

But this also adds weight to the idea that this buying a watch scene is coming from Nikki; it represents her own doubts etc.


I see it more like something "archetypical". It`s like in the garden of eden. A watch can be regarded as the ring of marriage. Nikki already has such one (telling time). Eva has everything in the garden of eden, but isn`t allowed to take certain fruits. Nikki isn`t allowed to take Devon. But forbidden things promise much. So Eva takes the fruit, "Gruszka" takes the watch and Nikki takes Devon.

It definitely seems to mean that, but I think she is wrong; I think he is putting the gun IN the drawer, but she can't see clearly what he is doing and is guessing.


Maybe it was the plan of the rabbits that Piotrek should use the gun. To discover how things are. But maybe instead of using it, he just put it in the drawer.

He's someone she had an affair with because he acknowledges that in his conversation.


With which words does he acknowledges that?
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:04 pm

MichaelPW wrote:Maybe he is paralyzed because of knowing that only one hour is left. At 9.45 the "atmosphere" is like "there are only two hours and a quarter left, but this is potential for great things to come".

It seems somehow related to that but he doesn't understand it. It is as if at 11 PM he was leaving, just as he left the woman in white in Poland, but in neither case did he know what would happen. It seems to be another scene where a character starts to become aware of being a character. Or, another way of putting it, of what another version of himself is doing in another universe.
Think primarily that this Polish accent comes from the way how she speaks English. It seems important that she speaks English here. Maybe to have a clear parallel to Nikki.

Yes, certainly, I agree. But I don't think I have communicated what I think the implications of this are. In addition to what you said above, it is also absurd for someone who speaks a second language with an accent to not know the first language that the accent comes from. Therefore, this is a dream!
I see it more like something "archetypical". It`s like in the garden of eden. A watch can be regarded as the ring of marriage. Nikki already has such one (telling time). Eva has everything in the garden of eden, but isn`t allowed to take certain fruits. Nikki isn`t allowed to take Devon. But forbidden things promise much. So Eva takes the fruit, "Gruszka" takes the watch and Nikki takes Devon.

Well, LG is trying to get something that is not coming to her. She's trying to get better luck by "magic". So, doesn't that come with a price? If you ask to find money in the street by magic, doesn't that mean that someone else has to lose it? So, yes, I do think the buying a watch scene is very much like a bad marriage. They make a contract, he takes her hand, and she's become part of the living dead; his property who cannot escape. It is all very much like something from an old fairy tale.

It definitely seems to mean that, but I think she is wrong; I think he is putting the gun IN the drawer, but she can't see clearly what he is doing and is guessing.

Maybe it was the plan of the rabbits that Piotrek should use the gun. To discover how things are. But maybe instead of using it, he just put it in the drawer.

Wait a minute here. I don't understand all of IE but I understand this part and have laid it out several times. About Piotrek taking the gun to the American story because the director told him to. But you keep saying maybe this and maybe that without telling me what you think happened instead. What is it?
With which words does he acknowledges that?

"Maybe I fucked you a few times." The way it is said, he seems very calm and as if he does not think himself responsible for any harm. He has a very soothing and gentle voice, different from all of Majrzak's other voices.
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:03 pm

applesnoranges wrote:It seems somehow related to that but he doesn't understand it.


It seems to be something subconsciously. Maybe after midnight Nikki has access to her own (after her death). The curse also maybe is loosing control of one own. The phantom takes the control by hypnotizing.

In addition to what you said above, it is also absurd for someone who speaks a second language with an accent to not know the first language that the accent comes from.


But there is the possibility that the accent plays no role here at all. That it has no meaning at all. So maybe David Lynch wanted Gruszka here to speak English as good as she could just to have her speaking English. But I don`t know what impression I will have, when I watched this scene.

She's trying to get better luck by "magic".


Where do you see this "magic" in that scene?

If you ask to find money in the street by magic, doesn't that mean that someone else has to lose it?


No, with magic causalities/consequences are raised out of power.

But you keep saying maybe this and maybe that without telling me what you think happened instead. What is it?


Think that "Nikki" did what Piotrek should have done. Think that "Nikki" shoot on the phantom and made a discovery and freed Lost Girl. It`s like in Eraserhead. The "man" should watch over the child, but he doesn`t even manage to go to the child. The "woman" has to pull the bed to the child. The "woman" has to do it. Maybe we have a parallel in IE.

"Maybe I fucked you a few times."


Can be evidence for a prostitue-relationship or for some thoughts after hypnosis ended, respectively.
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:20 pm

MichaelPW wrote:But there is the possibility that the accent plays no role here at all. That it has no meaning at all. So maybe David Lynch wanted Gruszka here to speak English as good as she could just to have her speaking English. But I don`t know what impression I will have, when I watched this scene.

He could have a number of reasons. Her accent is absolutely beautiful so I'm sure he wanted to have her say something, especially since she speaks no other English in the rest of a story (and probably for a reason, so that we can imagine that she speaks it in some other way). In the reunion scene, neither she nor Lucas says anything except maybe, "Huh?", "Ooo?" That is so that they can be Americans here in this house.

But there is no way in any way of thinking about it that it is not absurd for someone to speak with an accent without having acquired it somewhere.
Where do you see this "magic" in that scene?

She wants to buy a lucky watch.
Think that "Nikki" did what Piotrek should have done. Think that "Nikki" shoot on the phantom and made a discovery and freed Lost Girl. It`s like in Eraserhead. The "man" should watch over the child, but he doesn`t even manage to go to the child. The "woman" has to pull the bed to the child. The "woman" has to do it. Maybe we have a parallel in IE.

He plays his part. Gordy told him he had done nothing, so here is his chance to do something. He goes into Smithy's house to hide the gun. There is no phantom there.
"Maybe I fucked you a few times."

Can be evidence for a prostitue-relationship or for some thoughts after hypnosis ended, respectively.

It is very confusing. Many things are happening at once. Since she is having one conversation but Devon and the Maj. character are both answering, it seems as if they are the same person. But at one point he says something (untitled) and she says, "I don't even know where that is.", and another time she says, "I didn't kill anyone." It is as if we are watching both movies at once, the old one and the new one. Hard to know.
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 am

applesnoranges wrote:But there is no way in any way of thinking about it that it is not absurd for someone to speak with an accent without having acquired it somewhere.


And what does Piotrek think about where Nikki should have acquired Polish? Maybe he thinks: She was an actress in a movie called 4 7. But why he could think that I don`t know. We would have no "problems" here, if we would see Gruszka in the "parents"-scene and Nikki in the buying the watch scene I assume.
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Postby applesnoranges » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm

MichaelPW wrote:And what does Piotrek think about where Nikki should have acquired Polish? Maybe he thinks: She was an actress in a movie called 4 7. But why he could think that I don`t know. We would have no "problems" here, if we would see Gruszka in the "parents"-scene and Nikki in the buying the watch scene I assume.

If that happened we'd have to take it as it came. We could see the beating scene as from 4 7 and Gruszka, a lead actress in 4 7, was killed, then remained in a suspended state until present time when we see her watching TV in the hotel when she is given an opportunity to reincarnate as Nikki but must learn a few things about her own craving first. But why Nikki would buy a watch I don't know. I can't imagine that story.

btw: I have been thinking that the answer to the second question, "Who is she?" is that she is the Gruszka character, even though the corpse was played by Ormand. The first time, about the woman in white would be "the Ormand character", though played by someone else, not Ormand, because I've read that Julia Ormand did not travel to Poland with the crew.
MichaelPW
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany

Postby MichaelPW » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:59 pm

applesnoranges wrote:But why Nikki would buy a watch I don't know. I can't imagine that story.


When she sees herself on the street as a whore she really seems to be depressed. Not as a reaction to that seeing, but already as an emotional state before she sees that. Why is she depressed? Maybe because she realized that her affair with Devon wasn`t something for a long time. So what was she for Devon? How does she feel? She feels like being a whore. That all makes her vulnerable. Vulnerable for the phantom who sells watches (not to use them in combination with the turning of the silk) to get in.
Carl
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Re: MTTH: Buying a watch

Postby Carl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm

New guy, here. Hi, all.
*This 'temple' setting seems to me to be just another of the 'McMansions' that litter the actual Inland Empire.
This is a party, the 'zombies', stoned party-goers.
**She is obviously Polish, but either pretends not to speak her native language or has forgotten it: a 'half', as Nikki is called earlier by the older couple ( likely her husbands parents) in a similar circumstance.

***The music that connects it to the previous scene may be just part of the very deft editing that links these deleted scenes into a feature that can be watched on it's own ( as my wife and I often do when we have 80 minutes or whatever to fill.)
****She is blasted herself and appears to be 'set up' to be recruited by a couple at the party.

I could see that this scene may have been cut from the theatrical presentation due to it's length and glacial pacing. I love it myself.
applesnoranges
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am
Location: California

Re: MTTH: Buying a watch

Postby applesnoranges » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 am

Carl: Throughout IE almost nothing seems to be a version of daily life reality so it could all be thought as some kind of dreaming and this scene seems that way to me too. Her ability to speak only English but with a Polish accent is the most dreamlike element here for me. It does seem to be connected with the scene where Dern meets the older couple; they both say the same lines, "I don't speak it." The only thing I've been able to make of it is that since Nikki is the one who heard the story about the Polish folk tale, this is her dream about it. It becomes hard to fit it into the story because though the watch is part of the method she teaches Nikki to see through the silk, it seems to be in that scene that the two characters make contact. That might be another reason it was released as MTTH rather than in the feature, just that it is more natural to present that idea on its own.

The way it blended musically from the previous scene gives me the impression that they were a finished part of the work at one time. I don't know though, maybe as you say, DL just put MTTH together as a finished work of its own.

There are at least two zombie couples watching them. They seem to me to be distraught to see what is happening to her but unable to do anything about it, like other insects who have been caught in this spider's web.

Return to “INLAND EMPIRE”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests