Revive WIP

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Revive WIP

Post by Pete Martell »

Is anyone missing WIP?If many of us buy the latest issue,they might consider publish a new one!So many things have been released since it was published:INLAND EMPIRE,Second Season Box,THE Gold Box along with postcards,More Music From Twin Peaks...

P.S.All the past issues should be issued as an book or DVD encyclopedia.
siriusmystery

Re: Revive WIP

Post by siriusmystery »

Pete Martell wrote: P.S.All the past issues should be issued as an book or DVD encyclopedia.
Say no more.
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

Yes, it'd be nice to see something on Inland Empire.

Personally I'd like to see a reprint of some of the better stuff from the first 23 issues or so as a special issue.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Pay-per-download ebooks or something similar would be nice. Or collected in books. I'm no big fan of knowledge and information being as expensive as the recent ebay auctions. The WIP issues aren't just collector's items.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just wrote John from WIP to ask if and when they might be doing a new issue. He said last year they would be, so we'll see if he responds.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Hard to say, they unfortunately dont update their website very often. I wish they would :lol:
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

FYI, no news from the folks at WIP. Maybe one of these days......
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
wilbur

Post by wilbur »

Yep would be nice to see a new issue from WIP. I still have 5 issues out of the total 74 mag's available to collect. Must check ebay usa as the mag seems to come up in auctions quite regularly recently .
Wilbur
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

The last one was in 2005, so I'd say it's as dead as a doornail.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

I've read yesterday that the sentence "Wrapped In pLastic" actually comes from Frank Herbert's Dune in which a character talks about the Blue Planet having been destroyed by mankind and being now "Wrapped in plastic".

Is that correct?
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

Judging by the number of issues that have either increased in price or almost sold out on the Spectrum website, Wrapped In Plastic is still generating a healthy income for the publishers. They must have had an enormous stockpile of back issues to shift and there must be financial pitfalls to publishing a magazine that can take ten years to sell out.

Secondly there's only so much you can write about on a regular basis. Since Wrapped In Plastic went on 'hiatus' we've seen the release of Inland Empire, the Gold Box, the Air Is On Fire book and exhibition, Polish Night Music, David Lynch coffee, Catching the Big Fish, a few special edition DVD releases and some not so special ones too for that matter, but as much as I enjoy Wrapped In Plastic I've seen, bought, read, drank, visited or listened to all of the above while WIP has been on hiatus and I don't need to read about them two years after the fact.

And finally the world's changed since Wrapped In Plastic began. There's so much information online nowadays and while the bulk of it consists of rumours, press releases, poor quality stills and bitching we can at least get news instantly via sites like Dugpa instead of reading about it four months later.

What the world needs is a good quality website, like an online fanzine that people can contribute to. I'm hoping to create one over the next couple of years with high quality scans of David Lynch memorabilia, magazine articles etc. and a decent multimedia section. I just need to teach myself web design and buy a scanner first!

A Wrapped In Plastic book would be a better idea than more issues.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

And finally the world's changed since Wrapped In Plastic began. There's so much information online nowadays and while the bulk of it consists of rumours, press releases, poor quality stills and bitching we can at least get news instantly via sites like Dugpa instead of reading about it four months later.

But the essence of WIP was analysis, not news. Their reviews of Lynch's work were far more detailed and well-reasoned than almost anything I've seen on the web. I'd love to read their take on INLAND EMPIRE. If anyone can find a plot, they can!
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

Robin Davies wrote:

But the essence of WIP was analysis, not news. Their reviews of Lynch's work were far more detailed and well-reasoned than almost anything I've seen on the web. I'd love to read their take on INLAND EMPIRE. If anyone can find a plot, they can!
I always enjoyed the analysis but the main reason I bought Wrapped In Plastic was for news, interviews and factual pieces.

Off the top of my head the only original Twin Peaks analysis I remember reading in Wrapped In Plastic was the Deer Meadow dream theory. What Wrapped In Plastic did well was to present existing fan theories in a coherent, structured way. Writing on the net might not be well thought out and coherent but that's because people have day jobs and they're sharing their opinions for free! I agree that the reviews were detailed and well-reasoned but you can't sustain a magazine based on analysis of a relatively small body of work. I imagine by the time Wrapped In Plastic ceased trading the bottom of the barrel was getting dangerously close. IMHO the interviews are the real exposition and the Robert Engels interview in particular is essential reading.

I think the majority of Twin Peaks and David Lynch fans already have quite strong feelings about what things mean from watching the films and long-term fans in particular have a good understanding David Lynch's complex relationship with 'meaning'. I appreciate that a lot of people feel they'd enjoy INLAND EMPIRE more if somebody told them what it 'means' (the same thing happened with Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive) but I love INLAND EMPIRE and have total confidence that the holes in the plot will become smaller and smaller with repeated viewings, and that's how it should be.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Off the top of my head the only original Twin Peaks analysis I remember reading in Wrapped In Plastic was the Deer Meadow dream theory.
How many fan theories are totally original? As far as I remember the WIP editors analysed every episode and FWWM in great detail. Are you really saying there was nothing original in all that?
What Wrapped In Plastic did well was to present existing fan theories in a coherent, structured way.
Again you claim a total lack of originality. Are you saying the WIP editors are just plagiarists?
Writing on the net might not be well thought out and coherent but that's because people have day jobs and they're sharing their opinions for free!
That's no excuse!
I agree that the reviews were detailed and well-reasoned but you can't sustain a magazine based on analysis of a relatively small body of work.
True but nobody's claiming that WIP should return to its frequent schedule. What would be useful would be a few special issues about specific items (like the Gold Box or INLAND EMPIRE) or (as you suggested) a book.
I love INLAND EMPIRE and have total confidence that the holes in the plot will become smaller and smaller with repeated viewings, and that's how it should be.
But it isn't happening is it? The analysis on the IE thread in this forum seems to be lost in an increasingly convoluted labyrinth of theories. Don't get me wrong, I love IE and I certainly don't insist that Lynch films should be totally explicable. In fact I felt the WIP guys were rather hard on what they perceived as plot holes in Lost Highway, which was my favourite Lynch film (with the possible exception of Eraserhead) at that point. But IE is so stuffed with plotty details that it does seem to both invite and frustrate the desire to find a structure that makes any kind of sense.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

I wrote an epic reply but must have forgotten to post it. I can't be bothered to write it all out again!