NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Rainwater »

I neither laughed nor cried during that sequence, just felt nauseated. Interesting how our perception differs.
I'll see you in the trees
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

counterpaul wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I expect stuff that tests me on par with large swaths in Inland Empire - let's just say the long scene with Laura Dern among the homeless on the streets (including Japanese actress Nae Omori?, who's in the new show) pushed me to close to my breaking point. But I'm good with it.
Cool, didn't know she's in it. That scene was indeed a struggle to get through.
A struggle!? That scene is one of my favorite moments in the history of cinema!

I think it may be the most pure distillation of Lynch's uncanny ability to simultaneously juggle genuine, aching pain and downright goofy humor while never allowing either to undercut the other. You're left laughing (and I'm talking pure belly-laughs--not the sort of tender chuckles that can sneak out at the edges of a sad/tender moment) at the same time as you're crying with utter despair and trying unsuccessfully to reconcile these normally contradictory emotional impulses, and you realize that they aren't contradictory at all. Life is absurdly hilarious and genuinely tragic all the time!
I also loved that scene in IE. Something very true & raw about it. "You just dying is all". Yeah...
Rainwater, I would've guessed you'd feel different about it.
Last edited by Saturn's child on Sat May 20, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Soundtrack released September 8th.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I too am going to be relying on a live stream, bit worried about the quality, so i'd be happy if they released it on demand at the same time, but doesn't that mean that you could skip to the end of the episode and drop a huge spoiler bomb on twitter, or something, were you so inclined?

I may be saying something incredibly stupid, here. It's too early and i'm sleep-deprived
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Post by euclid »

You're watching from the UK right Pinky?

I am too, with the understanding that the show becomes "On Demand" moments after the Live stream starts. (Through NOWtv)
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Rainwater wrote:I neither laughed nor cried during that sequence, just felt nauseated. Interesting how our perception differs.
Indeed! We all take what we take.

Comedically, the scene just hits my buttons. The whole chat about the bus to Pomona and the friend with the hole in her vagina wall (and the boyfriend's reaction) happening as our protagonist slowly and agonizingly dies--that tension is classic dark comedy, and it is 100% played for laughs.

But it also constantly transcends the joke! There are these undeniable moments of brutal pathos in her story--"when she's looking so good in her blonde star wig..." "she knows her time has run out"--that are 100% NOT a joke at all. Plus the inherent sadness of everyone's situation is also played totally straight. And of course the death itself is played with complete sincerity.

It's so confusing! I find that confusion wondrous! Magical! Hilarious! Heart-rending! Everything! It's all there.

It's very much like the opening of Episode 8 in many ways--at least, tonally--which also alienates a lot of people (though probably not as much as the IE scene I guess). I find them both exquisite.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

euclid wrote:You're watching from the UK right Pinky?

I am too, with the understanding that the show becomes "On Demand" moments after the Live stream starts. (Through NOWtv)

Yeah, I bought NOWtv yesterday when they said that they'd have all four. I was assuming that we'd just be taking our chances with the live stream, though? I've no real idea how these things work, but wouldn't having On Demand access to the episode essentially mean that you could fast forward to the last five minutes and troll people on Twitter, etc? But yeah, i'd feel much happier knowing that we didn't have to rely on the stream.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Saturn's child wrote:Rainwater, I would've guessed you'd feel different about it.
Why's that?
I'll see you in the trees
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Pinky wrote:
euclid wrote:You're watching from the UK right Pinky?

Yeah, I bought NOWtv yesterday when they said that they'd have all four. I was assuming that we'd just be taking our chances with the live stream, though? I've no real idea how these things work, but wouldn't having On Demand access to the episode essentially mean that you could fast forward to the last five minutes and troll people on Twitter, etc? But yeah, i'd feel much happier knowing that we didn't have to rely on the stream.
Usually shows become available on NOWtv directly after it's aired on Sky''s channels (to watch it as it airs, you need to watch the livestream). Because it's a 2AM airing i think they've decided to make it available straight away. Yes it opens up the possibility for spoilers, but i think they're willing to take that risk here. The livestreaming is SD quality and the "on demand"/"catch up"/catalogue is HD (720p) so i assume they want people to watch it with better quality.
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Post by euclid »

indyit wrote:
Usually shows become available on NOWtv directly after it's aired on Sky''s channels (to watch it as it airs, you need to watch the livestream). Because it's a 2AM airing i think they've decided to make it available straight away. Yes it opens up the possibility for spoilers, but i think they're willing to take that risk here. The livestreaming is SD quality and the "on demand"/"catch up"/catalogue is HD (720p) so i assume they want people to watch it with better quality.
Ah, interesting - will definitely be going for the On Demand option. Will also be disconnecting from the web, no spoilers must reach these eyes / ears.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Rainwater wrote:
Saturn's child wrote:Rainwater, I would've guessed you'd feel different about it.
Why's that?
I don't know really, haha. Just a general impression I've had from your posts. Evidently not all that accurate. :wink:
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Pölkkyrouva wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Price Peterson(?) from Vulture is saying it is "difficult" (with heart eyes emoji) and people will be so mad about it, but seems very enthused. I think?
This is everything I wanted to hear. I want it to be challenging and I want to feel out of my comfort zone watching it. He also tweeted that "2017 is saved" which is a great sign!

AD0CA013-D46C-43CA-9F92-8D48280A2FEF.jpg
Amazing.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

counterpaul wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I expect stuff that tests me on par with large swaths in Inland Empire - let's just say the long scene with Laura Dern among the homeless on the streets (including Japanese actress Nae Omori?, who's in the new show) pushed me to close to my breaking point. But I'm good with it.
Cool, didn't know she's in it. That scene was indeed a struggle to get through.
A struggle!? That scene is one of my favorite moments in the history of cinema!

I think it may be the most pure distillation of Lynch's uncanny ability to simultaneously juggle genuine, aching pain and downright goofy humor while never allowing either to undercut the other.
I'm not saying it doesn't have worthy stuff in it - it absolutely does. It's just that at first experience it was an endeavour.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

thank you. Indyit, that's great news! I can relax now..
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

indyit wrote:

where are you getting this from? All I can find is a NOW TV help forum, where they say; "although it airs at 2am on Sunday it won't be available on Catch-up until it airs at 9pm on Monday evening." BUT Parts 3 & 4 will be made available at 4.01 AM.

I'm so confused.