Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by qbin2001 »

What a trip. I love it. Time to get some sleep now (part 3 and 4 are not available yet), and then I'll watch it again.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

is the evolution of the arm now the TTFAP? (the tree from another place)
Yps

Post by Yps »

Pretty incredible first 2 episodes. Although, I can't believe that I waited 26 years to find out that Dale Cooper went into the Black Lodge, and came back out as Michael Madsen.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

3 & 4 now up on the Showtime Anytime App

Thread open:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3400
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Chester Desmond wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:The visual effects are so bad too... the light face on Laura? The arm being replaced by a talking tree with thing on top...

God this is a travesty.

The CGI is so bad in the red room.

This so predicable and uninspired.

I am crying this is so bad, it's like a part of me has been murdered.
Dude, you didn't get it, did you?

It was like 2001 A Space Odyssey, the humans without emotion.

That was EXACTLY THE feeliings LYNCH WANTED YOU TO HAVE.
Dude, I get it, it is shit.
Sorry, but I was blown away. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I will never try to tell anyone what their opinion should be.

The whole experience was discombobulating so I really don't blame anyone long TP fan hated it. But we were warned it was full heroin Lynch, weren't we :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I don't actually buy into this initial reaction that it's Lynch weirdest yet etc, I don't think it's anywhere near actually. It's just that a lot of time has passed in the world of Peaks and there's a lot of new people/things. Compared to Eraserhead or Inland Empire, nah, no way.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't know how anyone gets 'predictable and uninspired' from that. Y'all predicted that shit? I didn't!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

Very first thoughts: This is fascinating and weird in a way I wasn't expecting from Lynch, but still bears many of his distinctive hallmarks. The kinds of effects he's experimenting with feel quite unexpected in a Lynch production. Some of the stuff made me think of something out of Doctor Who. But I'm not disappointed. As I was watching it I knew it was going to lose a lot of people though.

I like Bad Dale being some criminal mastermind. It makes sense flipping the star FBI agent into his equally capable and ruthless opposite. I'll admit the "I've got to go back to a place they call the Black Lodge" line jumped out at me as a bit literal and hokey though.

Wondering what was with Laura
Spoiler:
being painfully sucked up into the ceiling like that? Was the Lodge punishing her?
It was a bit upsetting seeing her treated like that to be honest.

The Red Room stuff is even more surreal and completely unprecedented in Twin Peaks. The imagery that can be conjured there clearly has no rules in Lynch's mind.
Spoiler:
A electrified tree with a talking brain. Sure.
Still not sure if they are going with a literal two Coopers that will be physically present in the real world. I thought the Arm said, "You can't go out until your doppelganger comes back in". So that would imply only one body out at a time.

As far as the story threads that are being set up, I'm not sure what is significant to the plot and what isn't yet. The stuff with the murder in Buckhorn, the top-secret "Box" in New York, the guy from Winkies in Mulholland Dr in Las Vegas etc. But I'm intrigued enough to see it all come together.

The scenes with Catherine Coulson were very sad and moving. And Lucy's line about "Which one?" of the Trumans has me thinking we'll be seeing Frank Truman from TSHOTP soon.

As far as I'm concerned it's a promising start.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I liked it. Can't wait to dive into part 3.

Threw a lot of names around. It was hard to keep track of some of the people surrounding Bad Coop.

I'll watch that over and over again like it was the zapruder film.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

So happy to see him playing with the format, so many great bits to pick apart -- so much left to do. This is going to be a great summer.

The only thing I predicted was Shelly having a crazy daughter and cheating on Bobby with some winking guy. Also the possibility of a HST cameo. Everything else was a bracing splash of pure icy Lynch and I adored it!
Last edited by Skip Bittman on Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Metamorphia wrote:Gonna be honest here: I'm pretty disappointed.

What I will say though is that it's clearly setting up a huge, 18 hour mystery and therefore I may judge it better as the series progresses.
I felt it was a slow burn- the first 30 minutes, I was extremely disappointed.

By the time the body was found in the apartment, I started to get into it.

At the end, I was pretty much enraptured.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Esselgee wrote:Jean-Michael Renault? Is that supposed to be another brother?
Looks like.
Was that Philip Jeffries that that bad Coop was talking to?
He thought he was, but apparently not. Darya and Ray also mentioned Jeffries. And Bad Dale mentioned Jeffries going to see Garland Briggs.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Chester Desmond wrote:Guys some of this acting, most of it, is so bad. Like really bad. The plot is great, the cinematography amazing, the acting: not good.
I have to say, so far I have to put myself into the 'those who don't get it' camp. Probably by the end of it I'm going to appreciate its genius and how innovative it is but for the moment I just feel kind of sad in a nonplussed way (and yeah, maybe I'm feeling what DKL wants me to feel). The ending felt more like the Twin Peaks I love but, man, I really don't need to see The Chromatics actually IN Twin Peaks. I have been listening to the band for years but really does feel like Lynch is just sticking a band he obviously likes a lot into this world and, for me, the effect is too jarring.

Anyway, not trying to be negative and may well feel different watching at a more reasonable hour (I'm in the UK). This is just an initial, visceral reaction and so far I don't like it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mtwentz wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Gonna be honest here: I'm pretty disappointed.

What I will say though is that it's clearly setting up a huge, 18 hour mystery and therefore I may judge it better as the series progresses.
I felt it was a slow burn- the first 30 minutes, I was extremely disappointed.
I was with it from the first scene with the Giant. Pure IE/Eraserhead.

What is Jacoby digging for? With shovels.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

StealThisCorn wrote:Very first thoughts: This is fascinating and weird in a way I wasn't expecting from Lynch, but still bears many of his distinctive hallmarks. The kinds of effects he's experimenting with feel quite unexpected in a Lynch production. Some of the stuff made me think of something out of Doctor Who. But I'm not disappointed. As I was watching it I knew it was going to lose a lot of people though.

I like Bad Dale being some criminal mastermind. It makes sense flipping the star FBI agent into his equally capable and ruthless opposite. I'll admit the "I've got to go back to a place they call the Black Lodge" line jumped out at me as a bit literal and hokey though.

Wondering what was with Laura
Spoiler:
being painfully sucked up into the ceiling like that? Was the Lodge punishing her?
It was a bit upsetting seeing her treated like that to be honest.

The Red Room stuff is even more surreal and completely unprecedented in Twin Peaks. The imagery that can be conjured there clearly has no rules in Lynch's mind.
Spoiler:
A electrified tree with a talking brain. Sure.
Still not sure if they are going with a literal two Coopers that will be physically present in the real world. I thought the Arm said, "You can't go out until your doppelganger comes back in". So that would imply only one body out at a time.

As far as the story threads that are being set up, I'm not sure what is significant to the plot and what isn't yet. The stuff with the murder in Buckhorn, the top-secret "Box" in New York, the guy from Winkies in Mulholland Dr in Las Vegas etc. But I'm intrigued enough to see it all come together.

The scenes with Catherine Coulson were very sad and moving. And Lucy's line about "Which one?" of the Trumans has me thinking we'll be seeing Frank Truman from TSHOTP soon.

As far as I'm concerned it's a promising start.
You see, but I think that machine is going to allow Good Coop and Bad Coop to be in the world at the same time. I thought that is where it was leading too. But maybe I am wrong?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly