Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by Cstar84 »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:"You're nice and wet"

Puke. Cringe.
and what was "my pocket rocket" in the pilot, shakespeare?
Fine line between quirk and cringe.

I am a massive DL fanboy, I can forgive anything, but this is unforgivable and does a huge disservice to Twin Peaks.

everything is so litteral and spelled out, cringe worthy.

So fucking sad.

If the visual effects were good I'd be somewhat on board but they are so bad. "Buff" fucked up.
What exactly did you think was literal and spelled-out? Because we are watching two different shows. We may think we know where certain elements are going, but there is a lot of "wtf" moments that could go in any number of directions.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

Audrey Horne wrote:Double checking... The next two parts are available for another 45 mins, right?

Wow, a lot to process.
Wait. Showtime is streaming parts 3+4 tonight at midnight?
Last edited by The Grey Lodge on Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

What the hell was 'spelled out'?

As to Tracey and Sam in New York: I've seen Ben Rosenfield act before. He was def doing a certain type of performance Lynch wanted.

I loved the Chromatics performance. Of course the music's changed over the years. We'll still get all kinds.

I wonder if Jake Wardle's character (Freddie Sykes) will have a significant role. I almost thought they were narratively suggesting him for Becky.

Also: Parts 3+4 are already available on Showtime Anytime. I'm watching 'em later.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Initial impressions.

Loved all the too brief scenes set in Twin Peaks more than all the other scenes - as I expected would be the case.

All the non-TP scenes have a very "Mulholland Drive" vibe to them.

Many parts were very slow-moving, reminiscent of the opening of Season 2.

Best parts (for me) were all the old characters. Great to see it beginning with Cooper and the Giant, again just like Season 2, in that black-and-white scene.

Loved the introduction of Bad Coop - the music, the driving along the road in the dark, the creepy cabin.

- He is VERY reminiscent of Flagg from Stephen King's "The Stand". Can't decide whether Kyle did a good job or not playing him. I thought he did, but can see why some might think it's a bad performance.

Hated the new red room curtains. The place doesn't seem as eerie and otherwordly as it did in the old show.

Some of the special effects are atrociously bad - and yes, hokey, as someone else said. Some of the acting is too.

Not enough of Lucy and Andy.

Found the Ben and Jerry scene a bit "meh". Didn't like Ben's office - prefer the set used in the series. (Is this the set that was used in the pilot? It looks very small.)

Wonderful to see the Log Lady, but very sad. Beautifully done. Her bits with Hawk are amazing. Would love to see more of these.

Was hoping it would end with Coop leaving the Red Room (with Laura) and arriving in Glastonbury Grove with Laura, ala Coop and Annie at the end of Episode 29.

WTF - James and Balatzhar Getty from "Lost Highway" are the same person?

Overall - feelings are mixed. Not what I expected. Some parts seem surprisingly hokey. Other parts are intriguing. I feel more emotion and music was needed. More TP scenes. It felt very disconnected.

Will need to rewatch - expect I will focus on the TP/Red Room scenes more than the other scenes when I do.

Miss the old credits, miss Julee Cruise singing in the Bang Bang Bar, but realise this is a new feel.

It is more David Lynch, than Twin Peaks. Closest comparison (for now) I can think of is "MH" (moreso than "Inland Empire" for example), though there's echoes of "Lost Highway" & others too. Looking forward to reading all your thoughts.

Oh - and Episodes 3 & 4 nowhere to be found on Now TV. Dang.

Note - Sleep deprived and goggly-eyed, so some of these thoughts/feelings likely to change, especially after a rewatch!
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

The visuals looked a bit strange and indeed some things were over explained, but boy, did I loved it.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

was anyone paying attention to the time? where was the break between parts?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jonah wrote:WTF - James and Balatzhar Getty from "Lost Highway" are the same person?
No, two different people.

I loved the weird FX.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jonah wrote:WTF - James and Balatzhar Getty from "Lost Highway" are the same person?

I loved the weird FX.
Two different people - both physically present there in that final scene?

Torn on the F/X - can live with all of it, even the new sparkling/crackling tree that is The Arm - but really really do not like the new red room curtains.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun May 21, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

On to parts 3&4 but I'm really liking it so far. Yeah acting from some isn't the best but I don't see how anybody can call this a travesty.
cooper075

Post by cooper075 »

One great callback is from s2 when Cooper is leaving Twin Peaks he tells Hawk that if he ever gets lost he hoped that Hawk would be the one to find him. I'm super impressed so far.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jonah wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

I loved the weird FX.
Yes.
Cstar84
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cstar84 »

The glass box has to be my favorite new element. Just terrifying and full of possibility. That one scene with the demon was one of the scariest things I've ever seen.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

"Who's Chip?"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

N. Needleman wrote:
Jonah wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

I loved the weird FX.
Yes.
Ah ok. I will have to rewatch. Almost 5 am here. VERY sleep deprived. Was sure James changed into Getty at the end. Thanks!
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

In the words of Denise Bryson: "bad news first." The visual effects were fairly amateur and the dialogue far too literal and fan servicey (especially doppelganger Coop telling Daria about the Lodge, Jeffries wanting to "be with BOB again" and MIKE explaining the Arm). The scenes with Laura were like bad fan fiction meets student film-level effects — but this is clearly only a glimpse of a larger picture, so I can't be all that critical.

But... Catherine Coulson's scenes were absolutely heartbreaking. The opening with Cooper and the Giant (or ???? as he's credited!) was exceptional. The humour in the first 30 minutes was fantastic. The seeds of various mysteries have been planted and I love it — very Mulholland Drive! Everything with Hawk was perfect ("Dark Mood Woods"!) and he's clearly lined up for a pivotal role. Sarah Palmer has intrigued me. The ending scene was fantastic. Deming's cinematography was on point.

These are only 4am random thoughts, and I'm about to dive in to parts 3 and 4 now. Honestly, I hope it's better – but while I'm a little mixed about the premiere, I'm leaning more towards the positive side.