Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by sylviecerise »

Trying to gather all of my thoughts.

- At the end of EP2, I told my partner this was honestly less weird than I thought it was going to be. He (who is less of a TP fan) said it's still pretty fucking weird & difficult, way more so than anything else on TV. After that first scene in the Lodge I felt like I needed to immedietly rectify my statement.

- Although some of the dialogue is definitely purposefully soapy and hamfisted, there are moments that feel more immersive and like the original. I'm enjoying how we're switching back and forth between worlds.

- On that note, so many scenes with the original characters are bringing up back into Peaks. None more so than Bobby for me.

- That oversized green suit!!! And the contents of Coop's car!

- Are we going to talk about how Lucy is confused by cellphones? My partner brought up that it might be that she is afraid of doppelgangers, but I think it's really just supposed to be a joke,

- The woman mentioned at the end—maybe Diane? We still haven't seen Laura Dern and pretty much every other character-to-actor predication has been correct.

- Did Cooper recognize Ronnette?

- There are moments that feel a little fan-servicey, but they're woven in pretty well. Like the chocolate bunnies and droolcup-Dale spitting out his coffee.

Arrrghhhh, can't believe that we have to wait 2 more weeks for more!!!!
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

So I'm guessing no "Invitation To Love" segments this season...

We still haven't seen the Double R yet. I hope they show more of the Great Northern.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Also—someone in the other thread mentioned how a lot of the imagery felt like it was pulled from Lynch's paintings. Thought the exact same thing, especially with the purple-pink overcast of that scene in EP3
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

That scene with Wally is a new low in the Twin Peaks Universe. Embarrassing.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

Dale Cooper is Rain Man: "Jade give two rides."

"Oh my god" is right. Hate to say it but I agree a lot with Chester right now. The look and special effects just aren't there, almost no soundtrack (Angelo or Johnny Jewel) and things are all over the place.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Jerry Horne wrote:That scene with Wally is a new low in the Twin Peaks Universe. Embarrassing.
Robert Forster just killed it in that scene.
Blackcoffee

Post by Blackcoffee »

Jerry Horne wrote:That scene with Wally is a new low in the Twin Peaks Universe. Embarrassing.
Couldn't stop laughing. I thought it was pretty classic Lynchian humor.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Blackcoffee wrote:
It was a weird scene and got better and better the longer it dragged on. :lol:
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Can we determine who is the biological father of Lucy's kid now?
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

The Wally scene was definitely strange and not all that entertaining, but I wouldn't say I hated it, just indifferent to it.

The whole "Dougie" Coop business was very trying on my patience, but the proposed explanation seems to make sense, and I have faith that it'll lead somewhere satisfying.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

So I just mainlined 4 hours of new David Lynch. Which is surreal in itself, given that I never expected him to produce anything visual again.

Anyway, here's some random observations for anyone who cares, some of which others have opined already:

1. Was glad that they used the original music
2. Disappointed that there's no new Angelo music that I've detected so far, but
3. Sound design is delightfully late-Lynchian. I'm really glad I chose to watch with headphones.
4. The original series was part police-procedural, part soap-opera, part avant-garde arthouse...
5. This is part Twin Peaks, part Mulholland Drive, part Lost Highway, part Blue Velvet (the man in the yellow suit!), part Eraserhead and part RONNIE F*ING ROCKET (little golden marble)...
6. ... making it a David Lynch homage to... himself
7. Which is ridiculous
8. Yet I'm fine with it. He's David Lynch.
9. I like Buckhorn a lot. The scatterbrained neighbour is a great Lynchian character
10. Worst thing so far, per me: the Roadhouse scene at the end of Ep 3. It has a completely different visual feel to it that everything else. It feels very tacked on.
11. Actually, worse might be Ben & Jerry. Perhaps they'll redeem themselves.
12. Lucy and Andy are becoming a bit tedious, which I never thought in the original series.
13. The chocolate bunnies scene made me cringe at first, then suddenly catapulted itself into awesomeness, though I'm not sure how.
13. Bobby bursting into tears and the music welling up seemed incredibly pandering fan service. But I'm glad if that meant some folks really liked it.
14. Dougie kind of annoyed me at first, but it grew on me. I suspect Naomi Watts will be under-utilized, though
15. Chrysta Bell's character? :/ The fact Gordon & Albert tell her to go away is almost a real-life insult.
16. Much of Gordon and Albert's dialog seemed really poorly written, or delivered, or something. But their last scene was great.
17. Michael Cera scene was fun and Peaksy in an updated kind of way; Forster's great in it.
18. Overall it seems like a collection of Lynchian set pieces, loosely tied together into a story.
19. Given how polarizing this is, I expected to fall on the side of the naysayers. I actually really, really like it so far.
20. I can't believe this lunacy is on TV. It's absolutely insane. Thumbs up.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Blackcoffee wrote:
It was a weird scene and got better and better the longer it dragged on. :lol:
^^^ So much this. I don't know how that's possible, but it's true.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

garethw wrote:13. Bobby bursting into tears and the music welling up seemed incredibly pandering fan service. But I'm glad if that meant some folks really liked it.
I loved that. It was consistent with the original run in that any mention of Laura is enough to shatter the fabric of reality into soap-opera-esque melodrama.
speedbeatz
Roadhouse Member

Post by speedbeatz »

If TSHOTP is to be believed about Douglas Milford, is Dougie Jones' name perhaps a sick joke by Bad Coop (assuming he did indeed create and name him)?
Presumably Bad Coop set the fire that Briggs died in, and at the same time retrieved any information and files the Major had about Project Blue Book etc.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Esselgee wrote:Can we determine who is the biological father of Lucy's kid now?
Mr. Pinkle?