Twin Peaks actors in Batman, Superman, Justice League

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks actors in Batman, Superman, Justice League

Post by The Magician »

As a big fan of the DC cartoons made by Warner Bros. from 1992 - 2004, I was very excited to find out that many Twin Peaks cast members performed as various characters over the course of the several series. In case this is interesting to any of you, these are the ones I could find:

Kimmy Robertson (Lucy Moran) as the Mad Hatter's love interest Alice, and an orderly in Batman Beyond

Michael Horse (Hawk) as a tribal museum curator, & also as Ra's Al Ghul's henchman Ubu

Chris Mulkey (Hank Jennings) as Batman Beyond villain Shriek, who uses deadly sound waves (cooler than it sounds)

Billy Zane (John Justice Wheeler) as Jack Kirby's anti-hero Jason Blood / Etrigan the Demon

Miguel Ferrer (Albert Rosenfield) as the one and only Aquaman, & also as gimmicky villain The Weather Wizard

Ian Buchanan (Dick Tremayne) as evil super-genius and hyper-evolved gorilla The Ultra Huminite, and Dr. Cuvier, an evil scientist who "splices" animal parts onto rebellious teenagers

David L. Lander (Mr. Pinkle) as explosives expert Nitro

Tony Jay (Dougie Milford) as Sul-Van, a deceased Kryptonian

Dan O'Herlihy (Andrew Packard) as evil businessman Grant Walker

and, of course, David Warner (Thomas Eckhardt) as the epic Batman arch nemesis Ra's Al Ghul

Oh, and in an unrelated production, Superman: Doomsday, Ray Wise plays Daily Planet editor Perry White, and in Justice League: The New Frontire, Miguel Ferrer (again) plays the Martian Manhunter, and Kyle MacLachlan himself plays Superman.

I thought that was definitely enough shared cast members to make for an interesting connection, so I thought I'd share that. It's a shame that Kenneth Welsh never was on it. He seems like he'd have been a natural.
Last edited by The Magician on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
EnableSecret
Roadhouse Member

Post by EnableSecret »

Kyle and Miguel are also part of Justice League: The New Frontier.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Hah, I didn't know this. I've only seen a few episodes of Batman: the Animated Series, but none with Ra's al Ghul. David Warner as Ra's actually seems like a strange choice. I can't get his voice to fit in my head, but I won't judge until I hear it. Then again, Liam Neeson didn't really fit either, and he was great.

Since it's voice only, Kenneth Welsh could have been the Joker.

Tony Jay actually sounds like he's a Kryptonian in his episodes of Twin Peaks. :P

Is it just me or is the Mad Hatter the lamest Batman villain ever? And that's saying something! I could imagine Kimmy's voice in such a story, though.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Evenreven wrote:Is it just me or is the Mad Hatter the lamest Batman villain ever? And that's saying something!
It's definitely just you. lol. He was lame in the comics, but then so were many DC characters (my opinion only), but the cartoon really fleshed them out. Mad Hatter was one of the more sympathetic, tragic villains. I think you really need to see his origin episode before you make up your mind about him.

And, yeah, I see what you mean about David Warner, but he really owns Ra's. He's cold and threatening and cunning. His performance really stands out as the evil backbone of the series. Sort of to Batman what Darkside is to Superman (played by Michael Ironside).

And, no. Besides Ray Wise, Kenneth Welsh is my favorite Peaks actor, but he cannot be The Joker. Mark Hamil IS The Joker. Haha.

I definitely think Peaks fans may enjoy the DC cartoons, especially Batman. They're moody and dark, with dry humor, and they have a hard to place timelessness about them, seeming to take place in the 1950's, but with VCR's and lazer beams.

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Wow, a Mad Hatter origin story! What happened? Did a large bookshelf containing heavily bound tomes of the collected works of Lewis Carroll fall in his head when he was a kid. (Or was that The Bookworm?) :)

I plan on seeing Batman (the animated series) at some point. But I've read crazy amounts of Bat-related stuff the last two months, so I have to take a break now. I have a hard time thinking I will change my mind on the Mad Hatter, though. The silliness of Harley Quinn works because she wants to be the Joker. What's Mad Hatter's excuse?

Then again, my favourite Batman story is Year One, so I'm not really a big fan of flamboyant super-villains to begin with. Joker and Ra's are good though. Two-Face too, occasionally.

Btw, Magician... Your signature says "amie" instead of "âme", meaning "I have a lonely friend" instead of "...soul". Is it a play on words or a mistake? No offence, I'm just curious.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Haha. No offense taken. In fact... thanks. I'm not the best speller... :oops:

The Mad Hatter really isn't very flamboyant, I thought. He's a sad lonely man who never gets his way, and does not get the girl he loves. He has no powers, just technological gizmo's dealing with mind control. Like I said, give it a chance. He is NOTHING like Bookworm (although they were both played by Roddy McDowell).

Yeah! Get into the Batman series, after you take a Batbreak. And make sure to check out Superman and Justice League, too. They are essentially the same show, with the same cast and creative staff.

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

You're welcome. I was thinking maybe it was some strange reference to Laura, Harold having a "lonely friend", but it seems that wasn't the case. It's a nice signature line. I love the grandson's line too. *SNAP*

I'll be happy to change my mind about the Mad Hatter. About the series as a whole, I'm not sure I will venture into Justice League and Superman territory at least not for a long while. While I like Superman in theory, there are only so many places you can go that's interesting with the character, so I find myself being disappointed 95 percent of the times I read Superman stories. I do like it when some more fundamental questions are asked, though, like the 70s story "Must There be a Superman?". Batman's detective/urban crimefighter deal works better as simple crime/mystery stories for the most part, at least for me. I'm not sure Batman's the most interesting superhero, but I think he has the best stories to his name. That's of course partly because the Joker, Two-Face and Ra's al Ghul are so good. A story like "The Killing Joke" is about the Joker, not Batman. Some of the short stories in the "Batman in Black & White" comic are amazing because they're about the world around Batman, not about him per se. I don't find Metropolis that interesting, even if I like Lois Lane a lot. But, yeah, Batman: the animated series is on my list.

EDIT: I love that Roddy MacDowell played both the Bookworm and the Mad Hatter! That's hilarious! A deliberate in-jokey casting choice?
EDIT2: "Batbreak" is a great word. More useful than the actual "shark-repellent batspray". Maybe even something for a good game of Scrabble, perhaps?
LaurenceBranagh

Re: Twin Peaks actors in Batman, Superman, Justice League

Post by LaurenceBranagh »

Also:

Walter Olkewicz (Jacques Renault) as crime boss Carmine Falcone in Batman: The Animated Series

Ron Taylor (Coach Wingate) as Scarecrow's henchman Torchy in Batman: The Animated Series

Additionally, Troy Evans (Principal Wolchezk) as a Pundit in Superman vs. The Elite. Ian Abercrombie (Tom Brockman) has done voices for many DC animated productions.

Now, if the new cast list is included:

Robert Forster as the President in Justice League

Ernie Hudson had roles in Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Galactic Guardians (as Cyborg), and Batman: Bad Blood (as Lucius Fox).

Jennifer Jason Leigh as Cetea in Superman: The Animated Series

Tom Sizemore as Metamorpho in Justice League

Additionally, Richard Chamberlain voiced Highfather in Justice League: Gods and Monsters and the voice of Jeremy Davies recently appeared in Justice League: Dark (as Ritchie). Meg Foster's voice will appear in Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (as Mother Mayhem). Matthew Lillard has done voices for two Batman cartoons.
Last edited by LaurenceBranagh on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Ray Wise As Gordon(Not Cole :D) in The Killing Joke
LaurenceBranagh

krishnanspace wrote:Ray Wise As Gordon(Not Cole :D) in The Killing Joke
Good catch. He also voiced Perry White in Superman: Doomsday.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I watched, and loved, all of Justice League, and never knew this. I wish I had!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

You all forgot that Ray Wise was the swamp thing in its own live-action movie. Directed by Wes Craven no less.

(Actually, I have not seen it yet since the reviews are average but I am very interested)

EDIT: oh, you are strictly talking about the animated series? nevermind then
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

And Sherilyn Fenn was the original Harley Quinn (Harleen Quinzel) in the pilot of Birds of Prey (replaced by Mia Sara!)
LaurenceBranagh

Also, Victor Rivers (Buck in FWWM) played Thanagarian Hro Talak in Justice League.