Parts 3 & 4 - Call for help & ...brings back some memories (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 3 + 4 (Spoilers)

Post by anthoto1 »

The entity/ghost that kill the two fellows in the NYC building reminds me of the one we are told about in The Secret History of Twin Peaks. The one Richard Nixon and, I reckon, Doug Milford see when they meet.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

N. Needleman wrote:
hopesfall wrote:I thought Lynch said specifically that it wasn't Cooper himself that was possessed?
He did, a number of times. He created the doppelganger concept himself to allow this. So I assume BOB is not in there. But he's somewhere. I hope they make it explicit soon.
Am I misunderstanding this or isn't this saying he created the doppleganger so the doppleganger could be possessed, not the real cooper
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

I can't help but think when Andy asked Lucy why the phone thing kept happening. My first thought was that she may be in the early stages of dementia since the show was dealing with the effect time has on people. I hope I'm wrong. So much to take in but all incredible. I'll post an in depth review after a few more viewings.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

I thought it was just a reference to the missing pieces scene with lucy
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:I think they're going to use BOB later on, in later and more climaxing situations. E.g. when the Coopers will be having their confrontations. BOB is still a big part of the mystery of the cliffhanger that still is intact, would be silly to take the drive behind it away so early.

Nudity/sex > felt pretty natural to me, unlike for example with GoT.
Do you have any theories why the entity appeared, attacked and killed when the 'kids' were having sex?

I have a far out theory- that the entity is actually the spirit of Annie Blackburn, who may have been sexually frustrated and repressed from her time in the convent.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
arfredo

Post by arfredo »

indyit wrote:I second that, I think there is an air of Bruce Campbell in ED2 - ED4 to all of this (including the Dougie and DroolCoop performances)
Glad to see I'm not the only want thinking Bruce Campbell with MacLachlan's interpretation.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

My theory is: It was a lodge spirit without a vessel, somehow brought in to this world through the technology. You remember how Philip Gerard mentions how BOB feeds on fear and pleasure? This scene had both. Also BOB and LMFAP appearing over Josie's corpse (fear) and the need for Annie to be scared to open the gateway in Glastonbury Grove. This is something like that.

The glass box might be an artificial gateway manufactured someone previously affiliated with project Bluebook or something likewise.

Annie? That is pretty far out indeed
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:My theory is: It was a lodge spirit without a vessel, somehow brought in to this world through the technology. You remember how Philip Gerard mentions how BOB feeds on fear and pleasure? This scene had both. Also BOB and LMFAP appearing over Josie's corpse (fear) and the need for Annie to be scared to open the gateway in Glastonbury Grove. This is something like that.

The glass box might be an artificial gateway manufactured someone previously affiliated with project Bluebook or something likewise.

Annie? That is pretty far out indeed
Yeah, my Annie theory was more to provide a shocking 'twist' rather than a viable theory based on anything presented in the show so far.

I do like your analysis. There is so much mystery in this new series, so many points of discussion, it makes me giddy.

Do you have any theories on when this mysterious billionaire will show up and who will play him? One theory I have is that this will be the character played by Don Murray.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Aliens. That is the answer to anything to do with the Lodges and what is in the box. We might call them extra dimensional beings, but its all going to come down to Ancient Aliens, bro.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

arfredo wrote:
indyit wrote:I second that, I think there is an air of Bruce Campbell in ED2 - ED4 to all of this (including the Dougie and DroolCoop performances)
Glad to see I'm not the only want thinking Bruce Campbell with MacLachlan's interpretation.
Definitely not! Always felt Lynch's taste in humour sort of gelled with Raimi's. Especially the three stooges slapstick stuff.
frompureair wrote:I can't help but think when Andy asked Lucy why the phone thing kept happening. My first thought was that she may be in the early stages of dementia since the show was dealing with the effect time has on people. I hope I'm wrong. So much to take in but all incredible. I'll post an in depth review after a few more viewings.
I started thinking the same thing... but I hope not. I suspect it was just Lynch/Frost being a bit tone deaf/rusty on where to pitch Lucy's intelligence.
mtwentz wrote: Do you have any theories why the entity appeared, attacked and killed when the 'kids' were having sex?

I have a far out theory- that the entity is actually the spirit of Annie Blackburn, who may have been sexually frustrated and repressed from her time in the convent.
I think there are a few candidates if you think about the scene that preceded it. The entity appeared after Dale made a brief appearance. So it must be something that followed Dale's fall, or something similar. So the only suspects for that are either Laura who we saw off flying not long before Dale, or (more likely?) the Arm's doppelganger.

I think it's possible the thing ("mother") that knocks in episode 3 is the same as the entity and possibly the doppelganger. I will have to rewatch the end of episode 2 to see how exactly Coop fell but if I'm not mistaken, it was whilst being in the corridor where the doppelganger got in the way and attacked him right? That'd suggest the weird brain tree fell too and possibly landed in the same realm as Coop... as far as this type of dream logic works. Maybe that's how he is on the other side of the door?

Simply applying Occam's razor to the whole lot, I appreciate that's often not the best tool when your dealing with Lynch.

I think the box is meant to intercept lodge spirits' travels. This is why Cooper ends up there briefly before disappearing because he hadn't left the lodge correctly (he fell through floor rather than taking the zappy portal) so he was pulled back in. I think by 253 when Cooper does it again (through the correct channels) the box is probably temporarily shut for police investigation so that time the travels happen smoothly.

We have no indication on how long the box has existed, or when that last sighting was. It could be that the box caught one of our known travellers once (BOB? Jeffries? Briggs?)
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Was it confirmed that the entity from the glass box was the same one that appeared to walk alongside Coop in the trailer?
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

I like the theory of glass box serving as a portal door between multiple dimensions. Basically a way for Spirits to travel between alternate worlds.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

frompureair wrote:I can't help but think when Andy asked Lucy why the phone thing kept happening. My first thought was that she may be in the early stages of dementia since the show was dealing with the effect time has on people. I hope I'm wrong. So much to take in but all incredible. I'll post an in depth review after a few more viewings.
Consensus now developing on reddit is that S03 is a Wizard of Oz homage (shoeless Coop finding his way home etc) in which Lucy, Andy and Hawk will later play the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow, Lucy as the Scarecrow needing to find a brain.

To which I'd add that this probably means that S03's general emptiness and absence of decent music = The Wizard of Oz's initial sequence in black and white. So presumably S03 will burst into musical Technicolor when Coop arrives in the equivalent of Oz.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Was it confirmed that the entity from the glass box was the same one that appeared to walk alongside Coop in the trailer?
No, I think it was clearly a man who was walking alongside Cooper. Someone took a screenshot, adjusted its brightness and it was clearly a man.
To me it looked like Mike but he seemed to have the left arm, so it either is someone else or Mike at some point gets his arm back. Or it was a mirrored image.
But it was a man.
Last edited by Rami Airola on Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I like the music. :P
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.