Parts 1 & 2 - My log has a message for you & The stars turn and a time presents itself (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Re: Parts 1 + 2 (Spoilers)

Post by ryanmj1993 »

Question what is the connection between Bad Coop and the Hastings? Right before he shot her, her reaction would imply she knew who he was.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

counterpaul wrote:
I profoundly disagree with anyone who would contend that Lynch's work is random. The trick to discussing it with any coherence is to approach it with the proper tools. The tools that work with meticulously built fantasy worlds or science fiction, etc. will only lead to dead ends and frustration. There's nothing inherently wrong with that mode of storytelling, if that's what floats your boat, but with Lynch it's just the wrong tool for the job!
This. It's pretty clear he's scattering dots to be connected and that it's all going to culminate and go somewhere (literally, as in back to the town of Twin Peaks).

I dunno. Speaking more broadly re: Lynch, a lot of people think it's weird for being weird's sake, but it's like when people look at Pollock and say it's not art or whatever.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I've read most of the thread and I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but...what the hell happened with the security guard from New York? On my first watch I thought the girl was not as innocent as she seemed, the whole coffee business being just a charade to get in the room and that SHE somehow killed and got rid of the guard... But after what happened to the couple I'm not sure, the guard just...vanishes...right?

And one more thing: that card evil Coop shows the girl (Darya?), that black thing in the card, I'm sure I have seen something EXACTLY like that in some other Lynch work... An obscure one, not a feature film, maybe a short, painting, something in LYNCH ONE... I know it looks like an owl, but I have seen that somewhere, of course maybe in a non-Lynch movie... Ok, maybe I'm just seeing things, mad, lost in the woods again... :D

BOB1, do you think evil Coop will marry Annie? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :roll: BTW, how's Annie? :shock:
santoantonium

Post by santoantonium »

Don't know if anyone already commented on this, but is it just me or there was something a little off about Sheryl Lee's performance in the Red Room scene? I love her and was really anxious to see her, but something about her delivery and movements put me off a little bit. For example, It seemed as if she didn't put too much effort in learning her lines backwards again, and it felt kind of sloppy. Everybody else does a great job talking backwards, except her.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I noticed it was different but I felt her voice had simply aged and her ability to do the Red Room speak was not as acute as it was 25 years ago. Which is understandable. I thought she was fine.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Gordon wrote:I've read most of the thread and I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but...what the hell happened with the security guard from New York? On my first watch I thought the girl was not as innocent as she seemed, the whole coffee business being just a charade to get in the room and that SHE somehow killed and got rid of the guard... But after what happened to the couple I'm not sure, the guard just...vanishes...right?
i'm very curious about this as well. it is surely no coincidence that coop and then that creature appeared in the box when the guard happened to be gone. either the owner of the property /an enemy of the owner of the property / some supernatural entity knew that stuff was going to happen and made sure the guard was not present
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Gordon wrote: And one more thing: that card evil Coop shows the girl (Darya?), that black thing in the card, I'm sure I have seen something EXACTLY like that in some other Lynch work... An obscure one, not a feature film, maybe a short, painting, something in LYNCH ONE... I know it looks like an owl, but I have seen that somewhere, of course maybe in a non-Lynch movie... Ok, maybe I'm just seeing things, mad, lost in the woods again... :D

It makes me think of the Black Spot from Treasure Island.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

About that place in New York I had the impression that Lynch wanted to emphasize that the building was much, much older than the others surrounding it... That first establishing shot of it made me think of that; I guess this is more FRINGE territory than PEAKS but my theory is that there is a vortex, a portal of some kind right where the glass box is and that it was built around it... In other words, the box and all that technology didn't create the portal, it was there, someone knew about it and made the building, the room, the box, etc. hiring guards that don't know what they are guarding and people that don't know what they are supposed to see in the box...

But who built it? Who paid for that? Someone very rich is mentioned, but they don't say who... I love that whole box concept! :D
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

santoantonium wrote:Don't know if anyone already commented on this, but is it just me or there was something a little off about Sheryl Lee's performance in the Red Room scene? I love her and was really anxious to see her, but something about her delivery and movements put me off a little bit. For example, It seemed as if she didn't put too much effort in learning her lines backwards again, and it felt kind of sloppy. Everybody else does a great job talking backwards, except her.
In my opinion, Mike sounds off too, i think that reverse audio in digital and in analogic just not sounds the same.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

secretlettermkr wrote:
santoantonium wrote:Don't know if anyone already commented on this, but is it just me or there was something a little off about Sheryl Lee's performance in the Red Room scene? I love her and was really anxious to see her, but something about her delivery and movements put me off a little bit. For example, It seemed as if she didn't put too much effort in learning her lines backwards again, and it felt kind of sloppy. Everybody else does a great job talking backwards, except her.
In my opinion, Mike sounds off too, i think that reverse audio in digital and in analogic just not sounds the same.
It was so blatant that even l noticed. Glad others see it too. Clearly deliberate.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Gordon wrote:About that place in New York I had the impression that Lynch wanted to emphasize that the building was much, much older than the others surrounding it... That first establishing shot of it made me think of that; I guess this is more FRINGE territory than PEAKS but my theory is that there is a vortex, a portal of some kind right where the glass box is and that it was built around it... In other words, the box and all that technology didn't create the portal, it was there, someone knew about it and made the building, the room, the box, etc. hiring guards that don't know what they are guarding and people that don't know what they are supposed to see in the box...

But who built it? Who paid for that? Someone very rich is mentioned, but they don't say who... I love that whole box concept! :D
thought the same thing! not exactly that the building was intentionally built around the portal, but that that exact spot being a portal existed before the building was there. my guess is if the building was built because of the portal, half of that glass box wouldn't be outside of the building
anewberry

Jacques (the bartender) Renaud

Post by anewberry »

okay, I haven't read everything you guys wrote about...but has anyone of you noticed that Jacques Renaud is still the bartender at the Roadhouse at the end of part2? Anyways, I've only watched part 1&2 and I have to say that I am amazed! Can't wait to delve into its following parts
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Gordon wrote:About that place in New York I had the impression that Lynch wanted to emphasize that the building was much, much older than the others surrounding it... That first establishing shot of it made me think of that; I guess this is more FRINGE territory than PEAKS but my theory is that there is a vortex, a portal of some kind right where the glass box is and that it was built around it... In other words, the box and all that technology didn't create the portal, it was there, someone knew about it and made the building, the room, the box, etc. hiring guards that don't know what they are guarding and people that don't know what they are supposed to see in the box...

Seems legit except l suspect the portal was manmade, a high-tech experiment couched as billionaire's venture. In fact l read somebody joking about this in a YouTube comments section. It was about a pyramidal skyscraper in Pyongyang that had only recently been completed after many years of construction beginning 1987 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel ). They said that the Korean dictator dynasty (Kim Jong Il, Kim Jong Un, etc.) are not actually bad guys, they were installed as custodians of some kind of vortex hidden by the skyscraper. Their job was to stop whatever passed thru the vortex from wreaking havoc on Earth. Maybe, as you say, the billionaire is tasked with protecting the world from a pre-existing vortex.

Makes you wonder what the Pyramids were really built for, if not graves of Pharaohs. Mind you, there were plenty of pyramids throughout Sudan and other places, right? I'm sure they just had notable people buried there nothing else, l mean how many vortexes can there be, and why would people across cultures decide to build the same pyramid structure over all of the vortexes?
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Dolmo81

Post by Dolmo81 »

cooper075 wrote:One great callback is from s2 when Cooper is leaving Twin Peaks he tells Hawk that if he ever gets lost he hoped that Hawk would be the one to find him. I'm super impressed so far.

That is awesome that you bring that up!!
This is the water, this is the well, drink full and descend; the horse is the white of the eyes and dark within
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I noticed that, but I also remember Heather Graham's delivery of the backwards lines to be quite bad in episode 29... At the time I thought it was because MJA was very good and I was comparing everyone else to him, but as you say here others do a fine job... I'm guessing Lynch didn't care or that he was looking exactly for that 'bad' delivery ...