Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mlsstwrt »

Agent 327 - the rewatchability point is an important one. I've watched Twin Peaks (the original) and FWWM upwards of 10x.

I can't see myself ever re-watching this. I know some people already HAVE watched episodes 1-4 several times and I salute them but don't know how they're doing it.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

mlsstwrt wrote:Hello Gabriel. The 'safe space' was definitely meant to be a joke. Us Brits don't really do safe spaces. I think we find the concept very American and it's kind of funny to us.
Hiya! I'm a Briton too. I tend to use American terminology here a fair bit because it's a US forum. The :wink: and use of 'snowflake' was meant in the same jokey way. :)
Great post and so far your description of this season being like a charity telethon has been my favourite (that was you wasn't it?) I thought that was just brilliant.
Thanks. Yeah, that was me. I also half expected Jimmy Saville to walk on, Jim'll Fix It-style, at the end of a couple of scenes, but Twin Peaks already has one monster in Bob! 8)
So Showtime have given David Lynch all this money. What has he done with all of it?
Meditated on it? :lol:
I don't claim to know anything about film whatsoever but this whole things just looks so unbelievably cheap.
It's because he's using digital video and not even attempting to give it any filmic look or texture. Digital video can look as gorgeous as any film stock used in a TV show down the years and it's hugely versatile, but he's had this thing for 'camcorder chic' going way back now. Many scenes just lack any kind of atmosphere at all, while others are dripping in it.
I thought the original Pilot looked amazing, so I'm confused when people say that Lynch's production valued are always low, so this is nothing new.
Definitely not true. The occasional effect looking artificial is often part of what can make his work so creepy (Bob appearing over Leland's face in episode 14, for example.) No, this is a bit like a bunch of davidlynch.com skits chucked together.

I still like new Twin Peaks, but, like I say, it's not what I consider a proper season three.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

mlsstwrt wrote:Agent 327 - the rewatchability point is an important one. I've watched Twin Peaks (the original) and FWWM upwards of 10x.

I can't see myself ever re-watching this. I know some people already HAVE watched episodes 1-4 several times and I salute them but don't know how they're doing it.
No doubt. It's funny.... a week or so before the premiere, I dared to speculate that although the new season might turn out to be an interesting experience, it was doubtful that it will have the same level of re-watchability as the original TP, and I was criticized on this board for daring to make such a "baseless assumption". Even though I carefully explained my exact reasons, reasons that now turn out to be the case for a lot of people. (I mentioned factors such as the digital look, where Lynch is mentally, the likely missing element of Cooper as the quite specific character a lot of people loved, the 'forced' casting aspect etc)".

As I pointed out back then, the original was a true 'lightning in a bottle' thing. As creative and artistic as Lynch is, it takes a different kind of genius to recreate or capture lightning in a bottle twice, within the same franchise and yet make it different enough so that it's fresh. That's quite a puzzle, and a very particular skill-set.... and you also have to factor in considerable amounts of luck during the first bottled lightning session, a factor often overlooked.

I will say this....attempting to offer some advice in this support group:

Even if you think 'I will never watch it again'....try to watch it again, before we get the next episode.

There IS a possibility of your mind being more open this time, more prepared, you will go in knowing that this can and should not be seen in light of old TP. Do it when that baggage is no longer there, and you're open to film noir style pacing, taking this new season for what it is. Take it as a challenge, picking up on things you may have overlooked initially in terms of dialog and detail, narrative.

You might go "No way I'm doing that".......but should you decide to take a shot at it, it could turn out to be beneficial. Even though no one should be forced to like something, you might warm up to it a tiny bit, and after all....it IS a lot more fun to be on board....and engage in the discussions about events as they unfold.
Just something to try.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I just read all your posts and I'm sorry that you are all struggling. Not that I get something you don't, because that's not true.

However, I posit the theory that this season is basically the first 2 seasons in reverse. We start with (figuratively) episode 29 and we get to journey back to episode 1.

I have to believe and hope this will happen for us all. A complete turn around from the frustrations that plague many.

Good luck. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

mtsi wrote:I just read all your posts and I'm sorry that you are all struggling. Not that I get something you don't, because that's not true.

However, I posit the theory that this season is basically the first 2 seasons in reverse. We start with (figuratively) episode 29 and we get to journey back to episode 1.

I have to believe and hope this will happen for us all. A complete turn around from the frustrations that plague many.

Good luck. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Impressive theory!
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

To all you who are in shock from the style of this new series: THIS IS ALL MEANT TO SHOW US HOW THEY FELT COMING BACK IN THIS NEW MODERN AGE.

If you compare the style of the episode 4 and the first two hours I think you see how Lynch went for this campy and dull style with a purpose. Damn, you can even hear the director saying "whisper" when Laura is kissing Cooper.
I think these are some nightmares Lynch had:
Characters being old and not getting it "right".
It starts from a black and white style and goes little by litte towards the "REAL" style we are going to be spending time in. (Episode 4 style more or less)

This is Lynch finding his way back to Twin Peaks in REAL-TIME and it goes along with the storyline of Cooper getting his act together and Hawk finding what's missing.

We are MISSING something from this style and Lynch & Frost tells you this.

(Cooper is trying to fit in that modern glassbox, in which the viewers are waiting to see old Cooper again. We are going back but it's a process)

It's a journey back to Twin Peaks in a whole new level, if that helps you understand it. I think it will only get better and better as Cooper is healing.

This is my take on this.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

StrangerDanger wrote:Impressive theory!
So the series will end with Coop pulling Laura alive from the water outside the Martell's house? ;)
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Boy wrote:To all you who are in shock from the style of this new series: THIS IS ALL MEANT TO SHOW US HOW THEY FELT COMING BACK IN THIS NEW MODERN AGE.

If you compare the style of the episode 4 and the first two hours I think you see how Lynch went for this campy and dull style with a purpose. Damn, you can even hear the director saying "whisper" when Laura is kissing Cooper.
It starts from a black and white style and goes little by litte towards the "REAL" style we are going to be spending time in. (Episode 4 style more or less)

This is Lynch finding his way back to Twin Peaks in REAL-TIME and it goes along with the storyline of Cooper getting his act together and Hawk finding what's missing.

(Cooper is trying to fit in that modern glassbox, in which the viewers are waiting to see old Cooper again. We are going back but it's a process)

It's a journey back to Twin Peaks in a whole new level, if that helps you understand it. I think it will only get better and better as Cooper is healing.

This is my take on this.
I have to admit, if you're right this could be quite beautiful/magical.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I was profoundly disappointed in 1990. I expected full-on Eraserhead and got something else. Oh wait, sorry, this is for the "Return." :)

But seriously, in 1991, once the MFAP showed up in the Red Room, I was hooked. It was a rocky start for me back then too. Same this time. If I had posted here Monday (before I watched 3 and 4), I'd join in with you. The whole Bad Coop thing just was too much of a Frank Booth character rehash (from Blue Velvet). This is not TP.

And then EP 3 occurred. And I was changed.

Now, I expect EP 3 to really disappoint some people, but to me, this is what I was expecting in 1991. And now here we are. The story is moving along. Let's hope we get some music and donut consumption going. I do miss Twin Peaks. EP 3 was enough Eraserhead to satisfy me. We don't need any more.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Boy wrote:To all you who are in shock from the style of this new series: THIS IS ALL MEANT TO SHOW US HOW THEY FELT COMING BACK IN THIS NEW MODERN AGE.

This is my take on this.
I have to admit, if you're right this could be quite beautiful/magical.
Yes we can only hope it is this and it'll be fast forward on any rewatch for episodes 1 to 4 for me. Personally though I would rather be able to enjoy each and every episode rather than waiting for it to stop disappointing somewhere down the line. I suspect that many may think I have a closed mind, I don't enjoy true works of art, that I'm just not clever enough to 'get it' but I am none of those things. I guess not everyone likes the same things and I'm not one of those who like this. I shall though keep watching and persevering. I've waited 26 years after all for this.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

It's great to find this thread, not so much a safe space as somewhere where I know people share the same sense of disappointment as I have.

Although, when I was on the Twin Peaks subreddit earlier and made the mistake of expressing my dislike, I was hit with such a barrage of hate, like 'You're an idiot because you can't understand what a genius Lynch is' and 'have you thought maybe your just too dumb to understand it'... that it really bugged me. So it almost is a safe space. For me, at least a place where I'm sure that I'm not experiencing a subjective view of reality to everyone else.

So here's how I feel about Season 3, probably a long rant, no one has to read it, I know it's just my opinion and I don't want to persuade people not to like the new series. For me, it's almost already a dead horse to me, though I'm going to continue to watch all 18 episodes anyway. Hell maybe by the end I will have refocused on something that allows me to enjoy the series for what it is. I watched season 1 twenty years ago and fell instantly in love, like many people. Ive heard other people express about the series similar things, I had some hard hitting events in adolescence and this show really provided an outlet for my grief. I'm a big fan of Lynch, but right from the beginning Twin Peaks was always something else; a brilliant collaboration, not the work of some lone genius.

I loved the secret diary and MLMT at the time because of how they increased the Size of the world.
I didn't like Fire Walk with me much on first viewing. Not that I hated it. It was just too morbid and depressing and had nothing of the flair of the original series, and seemed pointless as a prequel when all the mystery of the show was gone.
Of course, revisiting Fire walk with me over the years gave the film a different light. I learned to appreciate it as the profound tragedy of Laura Palmer. Then when news broke of Season 3-- I got so excited, (probably too much expectation was set up in my mind to be honest).

I devoured Mark Frosts book, and scrutinised over Fire Walk with me and the shows mythology, feeling I wanted to know everything before the new season premiered.

I guess my mind had already pre invented what it wanted to see-- and I can understand why it's never a good idea to go into a series like this. Honestly, the way I'd imagined the show would go, was a kind of remake of the original premise. I thought Tamara Preston would drive into Twin Peaks after the murder of another dead body wrapped in plastic-- then the whole mystery would start again--everyone's a suspect /nothing is certain, and of course we'd slowly learn more about the fate of Agent Cooper and the other people in the town. I was absolutely fine for the story to go on a totally different tangent, in fact I wouldn't have wanted Bob to be the central mystery again, I would've preferred something equally as terrifying, new and bizarre. Too much to ask? Probably.

I was excited by the teaser trailers, in spite of the tone, the images of the cast got my mind racing like it hadn't since I saw Twin Peaks twenty years ago.

We had a premiere party to watch the new season on the day it aired. We were all dressed up as our favourite characters and ready for some fun, speculative weird and intriguing television.

Mark Frosts book had set up the fact there might be some X files like themes in the new series and I was fine with that. It was always there I the original, and in spite of a bit of a lag in the middle, I had always still loved season two. A quarter of the way through episode one, I was still riding an intense high. Couldn't believe we were getting more Twin Peaks, it was actually happening. The grim darkness was intriguing even if it was different. I was open to anything. My mind stayed open right through the first two episodes. It was an incredibly slow process of disappointment. I really wanted to like this. I was forcing myself to enjoy it.

The first thing that shocked me was the cube and the attack by the alien. It wasn't that it wasn't a great scene, it was atmospheric, it was well shot, intriguing, even scary. But deep inside my subconscious was screaming 'This is not Twin Peaks'. Of course I pushed that aside, it was almost exactly a typical start from an X files episode. I loved the X files, but already I knew the tone of the show would never be what I had hoped for. It couldn't be a murder mystery, the central tone of the show would never be 'who is a suspect?' it would be 'are aliens real?. What is the nature of aliens?' and so forth.

In the end, this was minor. By midway through episode one, I had totally accepted this new development, I was finding the plot engaging, if slow paced and confusing.
Seeing evil cooper was the next big change for me. I remembered on forums people had speculated that evil coop would be running around at the start of the new series and we would see him coming out of the black lodge and at the time I had laughed. There was no way I believed that Frost and Lynch would start the series with black lodge stuff, it was too goofy and supernatural to begin with, I was sure they'd have the sensibility to slowly build up to it, like the original series had. Instantly this felt like something too crazy to even describe, it was like a Stephen King miniseries or a bad 80's horror movie. Was this a parody? Hilarious, but there was no way to return to a real world feeling again. Twin Peaks, the town I loved, was dead at that moment.
By the end of episode one I was surprised, even speechless. But still thoroughly intrigued.

Episode two-- totally wore me down. I could barely sit through it. Most of the people at our premiere were groaning with boredom and shouting with disbelief at the silliness of the whole thing; the tree, the stupid graphics in the lodge, Laura Palmer taking her face off. Cooper flying through space.
My greatest fear was realised, it wasn't Twin Peaks at all-- this was Inland Empire the series with some self parodying Twin Peaks cameos.

I had planned to watch all four episodes on the premiere night, but after episode two I was so exhausted--I literally couldn't watch anymore.
Where at the midway point of episode one everyone was talkative and shocked, but jolly and laughter. Everyone felt so drained by the end of episode two they could barely talk. People had hardly anything to say, it was like we had all been sucked by black lodge energies.

There was something else too. Something in the tone that felt like David Lynch was really taking us for a ride on his nihilistic self aggrandising horse. It felt insulting, like Lynch was parodying the series, like he was mocking the fans, mocking the actors.
I left the premier so bummed out, I could only mutter about how disappointed I was.

The next day I woke up and chose to see it I. A new light. I knew nothing could ever redeem the absurdity of those episodes. But I decided to attempt to appreciate the new season as it was, a self absorbed ride through Lynchs nihilistic art. My friend had told me that episode three was better, and this re inspired me.
But it didn't turn out true for me. Episode three and four dragged so much. Even during scenes with characters I loved dearly, Albert and Gordon. There was something just so off with the dialogue, and acting and sound design, and terrible special effects. How could anything be so bad?
At one point I actually cursed out loud 'This is the worst piece of shit I have ever seen'.

Anyway..
I'm still trying to enjoy the show. Trying to re stoke my enthusiasm for Mark Frosts Final dossier which I have on pre order. It doesn't matter how well made the new book is, if the series is thia shit. I honestly just can't believe that this is what we got. This is what we waited over twenty years for? This is the fruit of Laura Palmers prophecy?

Cooper throwing up creamed corn and walking around like brain dead Leo Johnston. A thousand naked cameos of two bit female roles, and the main female Agent reduced to a mysoginst 2
Dimensional character for Gordon Cole to perve on as she walks away. Endless surrealist Lynch graphics with no end. Honestly this series feels more like an episode of the mighty Boosh than Twin Peaks, with the black pirate siting in a jail cell and other random supernatural things.

I get that Lynch is making some meta commentary about film and life, with the glass cube, and car cigarette hole that look like a camera, and all these references to old age and death, and it seems like he's having a blast with an unrestricted mockery of everything everyone holds dear. But whatever this is --- I'm simply not on the same fucking page.

Started watching another series just before Twin Peaks aired. 'SEARCH PARTY'. I'm really enjoying it, it's everything the new series of Twin Peaks should have been, central mystery with endless quirky characters, constant changes in expectation and just good humour, fun, weirdness darkness and emotional connection.
Anyone who wants a breath of fresh air from Lynch spewing his creamed corn on Twin Peaks grave, I recommend you check it out.
Sorry for the immense rant my dissatisfied friends but thanks for accomodating me, already feel a bit better.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

mlsstwrt wrote:
1. Angelo Badalamenti - what has he contributed so far? I get it, the guy is old and not exactly at the height of his powers. So the solution is to..... have little to no music. Ok that's one way of dealing with it.
I think it's looking obvious that Badalementi's presence will become gradually more and more felt as the series progresses.
mlsstwrt wrote:2. Terrible Acting - A lot of the performances make Sofia Coppola's performance in Godfather III look like Al Pacino's performance in Godfather I. Oh, but it's all deliberate right? Therefore it's actually really GOOD acting.
Well, this changes the root of your criticism - it is intentionally wooden and soapy in places as you say because Lynch loves playing with the conventions of TV and drama (not to mention artificiality), so to criticise it for being "bad" is invalid. But, you are entitled to not like it, even if Lynch has played with it before in Twin Peaks.
mlsstwrt wrote:The Red Room - Did Lynch dig out his old Commodore 64 to come up with this?
I do probably prefer the look of the Red Room in the show and FWWM, although it's growing on me. The digital uncanny is different, but interesting.
mlsstwrt wrote:4. No emotional connection to any characters - Funnily enough this is pretty important to me. The original Pilot was utterly harrowing. By the end of it I cared about a bunch of people I had only 'met' 90 minutes or so before. At the end of the Return Pilot I had started to care less about characters I had loved for 25 years.
I actually think this disconnected opening is an absolute masterstroke on Lynch and Frost's part. It's an incredible way to open up this world 25 years later. I'm pretty confident come the end of these 18 hours there will have been plenty of emotional connection to characters both old and new.
mlsstwrt wrote:5. New bands at the end of each episode. I've been listening to the Chromatics for a good while. But their appearance in TP just felt utterly wrong and out of place.
Yeah, I'm not terribly keen either. Something about seeing the actual Chromatics was off.
mlsstwrt wrote:6. A lot of Twin Peaks is no longer in Twin Peaks. Yeah, I want to spend time in my favourite fictional place in the universe. Not in some terrible Vegas casino.
These are fair points of view. I am very, very taken with the world of Vegas and South Dakota, though. The idea of Coop's journey back home is an incredibly beautiful one imo.

[quote="mlsstwrt"7. Pacing. Lynch likes playing with audience patience, we know. And isn't he clever to literally watch paint dry, with Jacobi and the shovels. In small doses this is fine but so far it seems to be about half of the material.[/quote]

For me, these things have got better as I've gone back to watch it. The opening glass box is an intentional patience tester and a total meta-reflection on us as viewers watching/waiting/expecting. I love the shovel scene though, it's so pure and beautiful in a weird way.

I'd urge those who are disappointed to just keep an open mind, and also to remember we're only at the beginning of a really long and complex journey (and mystery). The town of Twin Peaks WILL become more prominent, Angelo WILL return etc etc, and above that I think things will become clearer in context. Lynch and Frost have constructed the series so far in a very disjointed, disconnected way - out of order, out of time - and I'd try to just embrace the strangeness, right down to how odd it feels initially as episodes of 'Twin Peaks'.
Last edited by Metamorphia on Wed May 24, 2017 6:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Gabriel wrote:
StrangerDanger wrote:Impressive theory!
So the series will end with Coop pulling Laura alive from the water outside the Martell's house? ;)
Oh i like where you're going. Her eyes open, they kiss. Seriously though, it's a good theory (timeline reversing) apart from that last idea hehe. Too early to say.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I know this is a safe space, but I'd been mulling over the fact that the reaction among fans seems far more polarized than reaction among critics. While it's no good to make sweeping generalizations, I do wonder how much of that has to do with fans setting expectations of what the third season needed to be for them. Certainly a lot of the criticism has to do with expectation (i.e. too many new characters/too much not set in Twin Peaks, not enough classic Badalamenti music, etc.).

Certainly when it comes to viewing anything created by David Lynch, it's not advisable to set expectations. And honestly it's advice that can be extended to pretty much everything else about the entire human experience. Setting goals is fine, but expectations lead to frustration and disappointment, especially when it comes to things beyond our control. And when it comes to Twin Peaks, we as the audience have no goals we can set. That's on Lynch, Frost and their collaborators.

I actually think Lynch and Frost are deliberately toying with expectations and challenging patience from the audience. If the new series is an 18 hour long movie, if we compare it to say, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, we're still in the intro before we even get to Twin Peaks in that film. I imagine many fans watching that film for the first time felt antsy about starting the story with unfamiliar characters and settings.

None of this is to say that Lynch and Frost are beyond criticism. There's a few issues I have with what's happened so far that have nothing to do with expectations, like the prospect of Tammy Preston walking around like she's on a runway the rest of the series. But setting expectations instead of just being open and taking in what Lynch and Frost give us is pretty much a guaranteed way to find yourself disappointed, especially since everyone who knows anything about Lynch knows he doesn't care about meeting your expectations.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

My situation so far is this:

I initially thought the 1st episode was mostly garbage.
The second episode was a bit better and I didn't yet know if I should love or hate the hyper outrageous and obnoxious Red Room stuff.
Both episodes had some good moments though.

Then the 3rd episode suprised me. It was good.
And in the fourth episode I was fully on board.

Currently I'm 110% in, but I still have issues with the show and especially with the first one or two episodes.

Gabriel wrote: Sheriff's department scenes don't feel like they are set in any town at all, for example. It's like the actors are simply playing their lines at a filming location somewhere and there's no town outside.
Well put!

That was exactely the emptiness I felt when I first watched the first two episodes. The same was in Ben's office too. It's like after all many decades going to see a place I visited as a child and have certain memories and moods attached to it. But now when I step in, I see familiar things but all seem so much smaller today. Things that had life to them, seem to be lifeless now. It still looks and kinda feels familiar but there is definitely things very off there.

And I hate to say it but even though it was sad to see The Log Lady in her last days with the cancer, I kinda initially saw the same disconnect in those scenes too. It was like the Log Lady was in dimly lighted studio and not in her home, and Hawk was in a studio replica of the sheriff's station too.
And I didn't even quite like Hawk's walk in the woods either, which was odd since the forest scenes in Twin Peaks had always been filled with this certain mood. Always. Every scene. But this time I couldn't feel it. The music helped a bit, but I kinda couldn't feel there being a big forest beyoned what we see on the screen. Maybe the shots were too "zoomed in" or something like that.
The biggest difference is that the original Twin Peaks and even the movie felt like they were set in a tangible, textured 'real' world that had extraordinary things in it. Season three is set in a bizarro fantasy dream landscape where the 'real' world is every bit as strange and artificial as the Black Lodge. When the agents were driving to the prison to interrogate Evil Coop, the makers didn't even attempt to hide that they were using green screen. In that context, there's no need for any effects to look real.
Yeah, this too.

I get that Lynch might think that types of walls and surroundings look nice, but my problem with it is that in the original Twin Peaks I wanted to touch those walls. I wanted to touch those set pieces. Here I don't want to touch anything, at least not in episodes 1&2.

Now, this all might and even seems to be intentional. But even if it is intentional and in context something genius, I still think we can think the beginning was not good and entertaining.

EDIT:
Oh, forgot to say that to me the scenes with Tracey and whatever that guy's name was looked like it was from a cheap modern FMV videogame (a video game with live action video on it). I don't mean the scenes in the room with the glass box but the scenes outside that room where the guard(?) was.

I love games like that but it's not something I want new Twin Peaks to look like. So it definitely was disappointing for it to look like that.