Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mlsstwrt »

LurkerAtTheThreshold - I absolutely loved your post. You articulated brilliantly my own feelings. The central murder mystery was the thing I liked most about Twin Peaks. I had hoped that somehow Lynch would find his way back to that but it was a stupid hope. Part of me knew that lightning in a bottle is a one time thing and that it could never happen again. I guess even Lynch knew that so has completely avoided trying to do so. Maybe that's part of his genius. So I'm never going to argue that this new series isn't inventive, innovative, defiant, etc. I can only say that I absolutely can't stand it.

I didn't just admire Twin Peaks from a detached, intellectual standpoint. I was head over heels in love with it. But I don't know how anyone can be head over heels in love with this. I too have the terrible sense that Lynch is mocking both fans and what went before. Which is why I said there's almost a cruelty to this.

I think the original Twin Peaks found a perfect balance for me between esoteric art and accessibility. The first series didn't always make any kind of logical sense but it was emotionally extremely coherent. This just feels lifeless and devoid of any hope.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

After reading a bunch of posts here, I realize that those who read the Frost books have a different perspective and came in expecting even more.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. I didn't read any of his books. I did read his interview on the subreddit, which was very interesting.

And one of the previous posts (not quoted by me) is spot on about a kind of life-less feel to things. I'm hoping the next time we see Ben Horne, we actually have evidence that guests are there in the hotel and that he isn't in some nursing home hallucinating his days of being a hotel magnate.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

wxray wrote:After reading a bunch of posts here, I realize that those who read the Frost books have a different perspective and came in expecting even more.

That's not a criticism, just an observation. I didn't read any of his books. I did read his interview on the subreddit, which was very interesting.

And one of the previous posts (not quoted by me) is spot on about a kind of life-less feel to things. I'm hoping the next time we see Ben Horne, we actually have evidence that guests are there in the hotel and that he isn't in some nursing home hallucinating his days of being a hotel magnate.
:lol:

But as well as being funny the thought is just too sad. I guess that's part of watching the Return, I KNEW there would be a certain amount of sadness just by virtue of the characters having aged. That was unavoidable. It's like there was a fire burning in many of these characters in the original, now the fire is gone, replaced by rapidly cooling ashes. Wonder what high school Bobby would have thought if someone told him he'd end up as a Sheriff's Deputy.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

wxray wrote:After reading a bunch of posts here, I realize that those who read the Frost books have a different perspective and came in expecting even more.

I bought it but haven't read the book yet. Not sure where that leaves me in your theory. I am also more of a Twin Peaks fan than a David Lynch fan, which may cause outrage here, but I always loved what DKL did in the world of TP previously and massively admired him for it. This may be where I disconnect as it is more DKL than TP. I hope as it goes on it redresses the balance as some have suggested here.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Rami Airola wrote:My situation so far is this:
And I hate to say it but even though it was sad to see The Log Lady in her last days with the cancer, I kinda initially saw the same disconnect in those scenes too. It was like the Log Lady was in dimly lighted studio and not in her home, and Hawk was in a studio replica of the sheriff's station too.
I'm not sure if you're being metaphorical here, but you do realize the sheriff station in the original series was a set too right?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:It's great to find this thread, not so much a safe space as somewhere where I know people share the same sense of disappointment as I have.

Although, when I was on the Twin Peaks subreddit earlier and made the mistake of expressing my dislike, I was hit with such a barrage of hate, like 'You're an idiot because you can't understand what a genius Lynch is' and 'have you thought maybe your just too dumb to understand it'... that it really bugged me. So it almost is a safe space. For me, at least a place where I'm sure that I'm not experiencing a subjective view of reality to everyone else.

So here's how I feel about Season 3, probably a long rant, no one has to read it, I know it's just my opinion and I don't want to persuade people not to like the new series. For me, it's almost already a dead horse to me, though I'm going to continue to watch all 18 episodes anyway. Hell maybe by the end I will have refocused on something that allows me to enjoy the series for what it is. I watched season 1 twenty years ago and fell instantly in love, like many people. Ive heard other people express about the series similar things, I had some hard hitting events in adolescence and this show really provided an outlet for my grief. I'm a big fan of Lynch, but right from the beginning Twin Peaks was always something else; a brilliant collaboration, not the work of some lone genius.

I loved the secret diary and MLMT at the time because of how they increased the Size of the world.
I didn't like Fire Walk with me much on first viewing. Not that I hated it. It was just too morbid and depressing and had nothing of the flair of the original series, and seemed pointless as a prequel when all the mystery of the show was gone.
Of course, revisiting Fire walk with me over the years gave the film a different light. I learned to appreciate it as the profound tragedy of Laura Palmer. Then when news broke of Season 3-- I got so excited, (probably too much expectation was set up in my mind to be honest).

I devoured Mark Frosts book, and scrutinised over Fire Walk with me and the shows mythology, feeling I wanted to know everything before the new season premiered.

I guess my mind had already pre invented what it wanted to see-- and I can understand why it's never a good idea to go into a series like this. Honestly, the way I'd imagined the show would go, was a kind of remake of the original premise. I thought Tamara Preston would drive into Twin Peaks after the murder of another dead body wrapped in plastic-- then the whole mystery would start again--everyone's a suspect /nothing is certain, and of course we'd slowly learn more about the fate of Agent Cooper and the other people in the town. I was absolutely fine for the story to go on a totally different tangent, in fact I wouldn't have wanted Bob to be the central mystery again, I would've preferred something equally as terrifying, new and bizarre. Too much to ask? Probably.

I was excited by the teaser trailers, in spite of the tone, the images of the cast got my mind racing like it hadn't since I saw Twin Peaks twenty years ago.

We had a premiere party to watch the new season on the day it aired. We were all dressed up as our favourite characters and ready for some fun, speculative weird and intriguing television.

Mark Frosts book had set up the fact there might be some X files like themes in the new series and I was fine with that. It was always there I the original, and in spite of a bit of a lag in the middle, I had always still loved season two. A quarter of the way through episode one, I was still riding an intense high. Couldn't believe we were getting more Twin Peaks, it was actually happening. The grim darkness was intriguing even if it was different. I was open to anything. My mind stayed open right through the first two episodes. It was an incredibly slow process of disappointment. I really wanted to like this. I was forcing myself to enjoy it.

The first thing that shocked me was the cube and the attack by the alien. It wasn't that it wasn't a great scene, it was atmospheric, it was well shot, intriguing, even scary. But deep inside my subconscious was screaming 'This is not Twin Peaks'. Of course I pushed that aside, it was almost exactly a typical start from an X files episode. I loved the X files, but already I knew the tone of the show would never be what I had hoped for. It couldn't be a murder mystery, the central tone of the show would never be 'who is a suspect?' it would be 'are aliens real?. What is the nature of aliens?' and so forth.

In the end, this was minor. By midway through episode one, I had totally accepted this new development, I was finding the plot engaging, if slow paced and confusing.
Seeing evil cooper was the next big change for me. I remembered on forums people had speculated that evil coop would be running around at the start of the new series and we would see him coming out of the black lodge and at the time I had laughed. There was no way I believed that Frost and Lynch would start the series with black lodge stuff, it was too goofy and supernatural to begin with, I was sure they'd have the sensibility to slowly build up to it, like the original series had. Instantly this felt like something too crazy to even describe, it was like a Stephen King miniseries or a bad 80's horror movie. Was this a parody? Hilarious, but there was no way to return to a real world feeling again. Twin Peaks, the town I loved, was dead at that moment.
By the end of episode one I was surprised, even speechless. But still thoroughly intrigued.

Episode two-- totally wore me down. I could barely sit through it. Most of the people at our premiere were groaning with boredom and shouting with disbelief at the silliness of the whole thing; the tree, the stupid graphics in the lodge, Laura Palmer taking her face off. Cooper flying through space.
My greatest fear was realised, it wasn't Twin Peaks at all-- this was Inland Empire the series with some self parodying Twin Peaks cameos.

I had planned to watch all four episodes on the premiere night, but after episode two I was so exhausted--I literally couldn't watch anymore.
Where at the midway point of episode one everyone was talkative and shocked, but jolly and laughter. Everyone felt so drained by the end of episode two they could barely talk. People had hardly anything to say, it was like we had all been sucked by black lodge energies.

There was something else too. Something in the tone that felt like David Lynch was really taking us for a ride on his nihilistic self aggrandising horse. It felt insulting, like Lynch was parodying the series, like he was mocking the fans, mocking the actors.
I left the premier so bummed out, I could only mutter about how disappointed I was.

The next day I woke up and chose to see it I. A new light. I knew nothing could ever redeem the absurdity of those episodes. But I decided to attempt to appreciate the new season as it was, a self absorbed ride through Lynchs nihilistic art. My friend had told me that episode three was better, and this re inspired me.
But it didn't turn out true for me. Episode three and four dragged so much. Even during scenes with characters I loved dearly, Albert and Gordon. There was something just so off with the dialogue, and acting and sound design, and terrible special effects. How could anything be so bad?
At one point I actually cursed out loud 'This is the worst piece of shit I have ever seen'.

Anyway..
I'm still trying to enjoy the show. Trying to re stoke my enthusiasm for Mark Frosts Final dossier which I have on pre order. It doesn't matter how well made the new book is, if the series is thia shit. I honestly just can't believe that this is what we got. This is what we waited over twenty years for? This is the fruit of Laura Palmers prophecy?

Cooper throwing up creamed corn and walking around like brain dead Leo Johnston. A thousand naked cameos of two bit female roles, and the main female Agent reduced to a mysoginst 2
Dimensional character for Gordon Cole to perve on as she walks away. Endless surrealist Lynch graphics with no end. Honestly this series feels more like an episode of the mighty Boosh than Twin Peaks, with the black pirate siting in a jail cell and other random supernatural things.

I get that Lynch is making some meta commentary about film and life, with the glass cube, and car cigarette hole that look like a camera, and all these references to old age and death, and it seems like he's having a blast with an unrestricted mockery of everything everyone holds dear. But whatever this is --- I'm simply not on the same fucking page.

Started watching another series just before Twin Peaks aired. 'SEARCH PARTY'. I'm really enjoying it, it's everything the new series of Twin Peaks should have been, central mystery with endless quirky characters, constant changes in expectation and just good humour, fun, weirdness darkness and emotional connection.
Anyone who wants a breath of fresh air from Lynch spewing his creamed corn on Twin Peaks grave, I recommend you check it out.
Sorry for the immense rant my dissatisfied friends but thanks for accomodating me, already feel a bit better.
Thank you for such an interesting and articulate post. I agree with much of it and am sorry that you felt so bullied on the TP subreddit. I've felt like that too. There's even a comment today about people who aren't as taken with it on the poll post on this board. Apparently we are the negative posters who are 'clogging up the threads' and are the vocal minority. It's so horrible. I've earned my stripes, have been a fan since 1990, have flown across the Atlantic to visit the area, have attended TP fests, have brought everything going to do with it, was very vocal in the No Lynch No Peaks campaign. But despite my current feeling for the show that is airing I am going to persevere due to my love of that universe. I will see where it goes.
Last edited by Venus on Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:My situation so far is this:
And I hate to say it but even though it was sad to see The Log Lady in her last days with the cancer, I kinda initially saw the same disconnect in those scenes too. It was like the Log Lady was in dimly lighted studio and not in her home, and Hawk was in a studio replica of the sheriff's station too.
I'm not sure if you're being metaphorical here, but you do realize the sheriff station in the original series was a set too right?
The intention in using sets is to give an illusion of a real place. The sets in the original series succeeded in making that illusion (except maybe for the scene where Leland bangs himself against the walls and the walls move like they were made out of cardboard :D ). Most movies are succesfull in bringing that illusion. Most movies are filmed in sets. And to me the original Twin Peaks had an amazing feeling of everything being part of the town. You could almost feel the town and the forests by just watching the walls. In the first two episodes it was nothing like that. The third and fourth episodes were better in that department though.

That is what I meant.
LodgeLove

Post by LodgeLove »

I liked it, but I had some issues, too:

It had a lot more in common with Mulholland Drive, stylistically. It didn't feel like Twin Peaks. It was interesting, but like someone who mentioned this above, I wasn't caring about anyone.

There were no close-ups. Dr. Jacoby, Ben Horne or his brother are all shot from a bit of distance. I wanted to see them, that bugged me.

It had no romantic spirit.

It's early though (I haven't seen 3-4 yet), and I'll enjoy it probably no matter what, I just hope it ultimately fulfills my hopes for what I want for Twin Peaks.
In my youth, I'm getting old...
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
I think the original Twin Peaks found a perfect balance for me between esoteric art and accessibility. The first series didn't always make any kind of logical sense but it was emotionally extremely coherent. This just feels lifeless and devoid of any hope.
Which, I think, is Lynch's goal so far. We're as detached as Cooper right now, mindlessly going through strangness and emotions. We have glimpse of the good 'ol times when we see parts of the old gang, exactly as Cooper in e4
Spoiler:
has a glimpse of the good ol times when he's handed coffee.
I believe - and I might be completely off - that this season will go backwards. From the Black Lodge to the normarcy of TP.
FredTruax

Post by FredTruax »

This is not twin peaks and we all know it.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Which, I think, is Lynch's goal so far. We're as detached as Cooper right now, mindlessly going through strangness and emotions. We have glimpse of the good 'ol times when we see parts of the old gang, exactly as Cooper in e4
Spoiler:
I believe - and I might be completely off - that this season will go backwards. From the Black Lodge to the normarcy of TP.
A few people have made this point and it's an interesting one. IF you are all right and this is a journey back to Twin Peaks maybe I'm going to end up adoring it. But right now the absolute most I would be capable of is admiration. I admire the boldness of it, I'll give that.

My question then is if it stays like this, cold and withdrawn, how will you feel about it at the end? I guess we can wait for the answer to that question. I was willing to reserve judgement after a couple of episodes. But we're about 1/4 way through now and so far there has been little that I have enjoyed. It's not that it's too dark. FWWM was dark. It's just too cold.

One other more specific point - I felt that at the end of FWWM Laura had reached some kind of salvation and peace. It was maybe my favourite scene of the whole Twin Peaks world. But now she's back to being tortured again. I didn't like it and it felt like it undermined the end of the movie. Anyone else feel that way?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Spoiler:
A few people have made this point and it's an interesting one. IF you are all right and this is a journey back to Twin Peaks maybe I'm going to end up adoring it. But right now the absolute most I would be capable of is admiration. I admire the boldness of it, I'll give that.

My question then is if it stays like this, cold and withdrawn, how will you feel about it at the end? I guess we can wait for the answer to that question. I was willing to reserve judgement after a couple of episodes. But we're about 1/4 way through now and so far there has been little that I have enjoyed. It's not that it's too dark. FWWM was dark. It's just too cold.

One other more specific point - I felt that at the end of FWWM Laura had reached some kind of salvation and peace. It was maybe my favourite scene of the whole Twin Peaks world. But now she's back to being tortured again. I didn't like it and it felt like it undermined the end of the movie. Anyone else feel that way?
honestly, I don't know how I would feel if that is not the case. I guess lots would depend on what alternative Lynch comes up with. However, I don't see any other function for the small snapshots of TP's life except than being a reminder that we should wait a little bit.
From E3 and E4:
Spoiler:
Bobby's scene crying seeing Laura's picture is an example. It's functionally useless at that point of the story if not to tell us that the old TP with Badalamenti's music is still there.
Let me tell you something curious. My wife is not a TP fan, albeit she watched the originals+FWWM multiple times due to me. She doesn't despise it, but she doesn't see the appeal either. She says that most of it is just pointless talking, but that some of the parts are simply great. However, the other day she told me that she is loving the new series. She really enjoys it, and she wants to watch it. She fell asleep during E4 (she had a very rough day, so I don't blame her), and the next day she asked me to watch what she missed. It seems that this series can appeal to all sort of people that are willing to "dance" with Lynch.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Spoiler:

honestly, I don't know how I would feel if that is not the case. I guess lots would depend on what alternative Lynch comes up with. However, I don't see any other function for the small snapshots of TP's life except than being a reminder that we should wait a little bit.
From E3 and E4:
Spoiler:
Bobby's scene crying seeing Laura's picture is an example. It's functionally useless at that point of the story if not to tell us that the old TP with Badalamenti's music is still there.
Let me tell you something curious. My wife is not a TP fan, albeit she watched the originals+FWWM multiple times due to me. She doesn't despise it, but she doesn't see the appeal either. She says that most of it is just pointless talking, but that some of the parts are simply great. However, the other day she told me that she is loving the new series. She really enjoys it, and she wants to watch it. She fell asleep during E4 (she had a very rough day, so I don't blame her), and the next day she asked me to watch what she missed. It seems that this series can appeal to all sort of people that are willing to "dance" with Lynch.
Yeah I don't disbelieve it. There's another forum I go on (way too much time on the internet) and they were discussing Twin Peaks a few weeks back. Most people didn't seem to like it. I checked back in on the thread assuming that if they didn't like the old TP they would despise this one. But it wasn't the case, people were talking about how amazing this is.

I'm missing something, I don't doubt it and maybe if I watched this as a standalone work I would feel very, very differently but I'm besotted with Twin Peaks (two trips to Snoqualmie, from the UK and Japan) and I wanted to go back there. But as I've said earlier in the thread at no point so far have I thought, 'I would give anything to be there', whereas I felt like that constantly during the original. I would have given my right arm (no pun) to have spent time in that world with its inhabitants. But now....... uum, no, happier where I am.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:

From E3 and E4:
Spoiler:
Yeah I don't disbelieve it. There's another forum I go on (way too much time on the internet) and they were discussing Twin Peaks a few weeks back. Most people didn't seem to like it. I checked back in on the thread assuming that if they didn't like the old TP they would despise this one. But it wasn't the case, people were talking about how amazing this is.

I'm missing something, I don't doubt it and maybe if I watched this as a standalone work I would feel very, very differently but I'm besotted with Twin Peaks (two trips to Snoqualmie, from the UK and Japan) and I wanted to go back there. But as I've said earlier in the thread at no point so far have I thought, 'I would give anything to be there', whereas I felt like that constantly during the original. I would have given my right arm (no pun) to have spent time in that world with its inhabitants. But now....... uum, no, happier where I am.
That is very interesting, as it would bring "new blood" to the fanbase. hopefully Lynch will be able to combine both the new and nostalgic elements into something special.
Let me ask you, will you keep watching all the episodes, even if your feelings towards the new series don't change?

As for some of the feelings, I am there with you. I always dreamed of visiting the real places (I hope to do it in summer 2018), and I read all the stuff. If I had to base it only on the first four episodes, I wouldn't have that warm desire of going to Washington state. On the other hand - the logical part of my brain tells me that Lynch can leave that stuff behind for a while because he already gave us two seasons and (partially) a movie about Twin Peaks itself. We shall see I guess.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

OK David I see that Season 3 is one big fuck-you to the fans and you're practically mocking us every other scene, but...

Turning Lucy and Andy into complete retards? That's a step too far.