Dern Monolog

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Dern Monolog

Post by applesnoranges »

scott-purcell on imdb pieced together the whole Dern monolog, including the parts in MTTH and the Easter Egg:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0460829/board/thread/100251504
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

The monologue is what started it all. In July of '03, we built a set and had Laura deliver this thing, which was about the end of her life. It was to be for the site, but she absolutely killed it, and it became bigger than that. Dave started writing more scenes, and the project began...
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:scott-purcell on imdb pieced together the whole Dern monolog, including the parts in MTTH and the Easter Egg:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0460829/board/thread/100251504
Thank you for that link! Good to have it written down now! New probably significant things to me:

- the shelf
- the lamp
- the arm on the picture
- husband number three

Looking forward to see how Dern put it into action - MTTH is on the way to me. btw - why does scott-purcell write all these "beeps"? Does this suggest that in the American version all the "fuck-words" are censored?
John Neff wrote:In July of '03, we built a set and had Laura deliver this thing, which was about the end of her life.
Didn`t know that there is a band called Blue Bob so far. It got a very good evaluation on amazon.de.

I wonder about the three As I can find in this set. Like the "colours" of it. Somehow similar to the colours of the "after-midnight-watch"-scene in the end in a certain sense.
Dave started writing more scenes, and the project began...
Often ask myself how David Lynch acts with the actors when making movies. There are so sensitive scenes that I don`t have an idea how they could be realized. It seems that he really have a hand for realizing his ideas.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

John Neff wrote:The monologue is what started it all....
John Neff: Thanks for dropping by!

Someone on the old inlandempirecinema.com board called ParisianMovieFan said that on French boards there was a theory that IE was about the creation of itself; it told the story of how David Lynch made it, giving as examples, piecing together this monolog with Rabbits etc. For PMF, the opening spotlight means: "David has an idea!" etc. The part of that which rings a bell for me is that these parts seem to retain a bit of their own identity while at the same time becoming part of the whole. I can sort of imagine someone making a painting by gluing pieces of other things on as collage elements, then adding things which hinted at something else that the artist saw "” so they become something like tips of icebergs.

So: In the last Dern segment, in MTTH, she talks about her current life which has nothing to do with her merger with Sue Blue, repetition of things Lost Girl or the Marine's Sister might remember, etc.: it's just her"”someone else"”as herself.

Put into context, it becomes, like the last segment of girls on Hollywood Blvd., a way in which the characters also come out of the story to become real in their own right.

Just some thoughts....
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

MichaelPW wrote:btw - why does scott-purcell write all these "beeps"? Does this suggest that in the American version all the "fuck-words" are censored?
No, the imdb board does that. I tried once to quote a link to http://www.brutalfuckingmurder.com and they even bleeped that. (I see it's expired now; it was nothing to do with IE except it had an add for a screening, but it was fun while it lasted.) The bleeping is a nuisance, but on the other hand, many if not most movie forums on that board have a lot of people getting into very abusive arguments, calling each other names, etc.