Wally Brando Appreciation Society (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Re: Wally Brando Appreciation Society (SPOILERS)

Post by Hockey Mask »

I can not die peacefully without seeing Albert meet Wally.
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

Hockey Mask wrote:I can not die peacefully without seeing Albert meet Wally.
Poor Albert :lol:
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

trismegistus wrote:I essentially view the Wally scene as a complete meta moment to politely say "fuck you" to season two. It's a parody of late season 2 James, the Dick/Andy/Lucy subplot, the absurd and out of place guest cast. Even Truman's reaction is how I imagine DKL reacting to most of season two. It's parody but with intent and function.
It's a shame if such material is being created out of contempt rather than affection.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

StrangerDanger wrote: Wally means "idiot" here in the UK hehe.
LOL. Ok, I think I'm starting to appreciate the evolution of Little Nicky.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Gabriel wrote:
trismegistus wrote:I essentially view the Wally scene as a complete meta moment to politely say "fuck you" to season two. It's a parody of late season 2 James, the Dick/Andy/Lucy subplot, the absurd and out of place guest cast. Even Truman's reaction is how I imagine DKL reacting to most of season two. It's parody but with intent and function.
It's a shame if such material is being created out of contempt rather than affection.

I took it as tasteful jest at worst.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I didn't take it as mockery of the show. I thought it was just a loving, silly homage to Brando and a parody of that archetype.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

N. Needleman wrote:I didn't take it as mockery of the show. I thought it was just a loving, silly homage to Brando and a parody of that archetype.
Agreed. Lynch doesn't like Season 2 but that doesn't mean that every creative decision about The Return has to do with his disdain towards it. It's just a fun little scene. Some dig it, some don't. Simple as that.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Panapaok wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I didn't take it as mockery of the show. I thought it was just a loving, silly homage to Brando and a parody of that archetype.
Agreed. Lynch doesn't like Season 2 but that doesn't mean that every creative decision about The Return has to do with his disdain towards it. It's just a fun little scene. Some dig it, some don't. Simple as that.
To be fair, this is the one and only scene in the first four hours that I got that vibe from(with the exception of "James has always been cool".) Everything else seems to be it's own thing. And it's not out of character for Lynch to do this sort of thing. Hell, we all know that FWWM starts with a TV set being brutally smashed in. I thought the scene was fun. I didn't find it mean. And yes, I am aware that it's homage to Brando as well. The thing with Lynch is that One thing can be and a lot of the time is Five things or 253 things.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Was Wally's long speech taken from a Marlon Brando film? I thought it was purely Twin Peaks.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Wally's speech contains overt allusions to THE WILD ONE and THE GODFATHER. Wouldn't be surprised if other films were referenced, but those are the two most obvious.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Wally is the man! That's how they roll in TP, bikers are poets and not hairy drugged criminals... Also like somebody said, there is no doubt about the father :) this is deep in the DNA of the show.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I've been trying to imagine what Wally would be like if this was filmed in the style of the original show. And I think the closest analogy would be Nadine's scenes when she believes she's in high school. Wally, like Nadine, are completely detached from any shared "objective" reality. There would have to be a strange leitmotif that crops up whenever he comes onscreen, something whimsical and estranging.

It makes perfect sense that Wally's been traveling the states like a wandering nomad. Even in Twin Peaks, I can't see him fitting in with any particular crowd. Not even the bikers.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My issue with the scene is that it's a more overt on-the-nose parody than anything else we've seen in TP, going far beyond the winking nods of the original show. And of course Brando parodies are a dime a dozen.

But credit where credit is due: Cera nails it, seemingly channeling Brando rather than doing the predictable go-to nasal impression. The scene doesn't work for me, at all, from the ground up. But Cera's got the stuff.

Btw, this interview with Robert Forster has a terrific story about Marlon Brando taking Forster aside early in his career. It makes me wonder what might have been going through Forster's head during the Wally Brando scene, all these years later....
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Wally -> road -> Evelyn Marsh? XOXOXO <3
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

Wally is aces. I would love to see more of him as he is GOLD, but at the same time I wonder if it is possible to out-do that one scene of pure cringe-worthy joy and if it's best to just leave us with that and nothing more. Regarding who his father is, I'm getting vibes of Andy AND Dick from him. Perhaps those Dark Woods allowed a little genetic alchemy to take place and gave Lucy a baby conceived of two fathers?