S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by TheAlien »

I am actually not dreading anything, in fact; for once with a show, I have complete faith in whatever David makes of it :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Thatfabulousalien wrote:I am actually not dreading anything, in fact; for once with a show, I have complete faith in whatever David makes of it :mrgreen:
This. :)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I feel that there will be a happy ending after all the darkness. Similar to Blue Velvet. The only thing I don't want is another cliffhanger. Bring us some closure, whatever it is.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

MoondogJR wrote:"it was all a dream"

However, I think I could make peace with that, now that I think of it...
If S03 is indeed a Wizard of Oz homage you may be on the button there.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I don't actually dread endings in general because I am more interested in the journey than the final destination, at least with television. I feel a movie ending being bad has a much larger chance of ruining an experience than does a show. Longform television and storytelling, to me, feels like a roadtrip where the trip itself is the point and not the specific location you end up in, while a movie feels more like a journey to and spending time at the destination. Sure that location can enhance or detract from the trip but it can almost never ruin the entire trip.

However, thinking about possibilities that would leave me dissatisfied are possible. The worst offender would be it was all a dream. Sure, it wouldn't ruin what the experience has been but it would put a damper on me ever wanting to rewatch or engage with this story again, outside of being a beautiful piece of visual art. Dreams can, and in this case should, be part of the journey because they reveal things to us and the characters. But if it was all a dream it would remove any care for these characters upon rewatch because their stories and lives don't matter outside of the dream the dreamer was having. This only applies to the it was all a dream ending though. If Coop just wakes up somewhere in episodes 5 - 17 and we find out everything before was a dream, but we get to see the character move forward and progress with the knowledge and insight gained from the dream it wouldn't bother me.

Other than that, I dread a simple ending or one that provides too much closure. One that doesn't stay with you. Knowing Lynch in general, this is probably a fear I shouldn't have but it's still in the back of my mind.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Panapaok wrote:I feel that there will be a happy ending after all the darkness. Similar to Blue Velvet. The only thing I don't want is another cliffhanger. Bring us some closure, whatever it is.
I want an unresolved ending!! Or something a little open. The cliffhanger at the end of S2 aided in fandom obsession & analyzing. Maybe not something quite as sinister and foreboding, but an ending that allows us room to think forward and not just set aside Twin Peaks.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'm pretty much fine with anything DKL does, he hasn't let me down yet. However, I am sort of hoping it's not the Wizard of Oz tribute that one website was theorizing. DKL loves that movie, I do too, but it's a cliché. The Wizard of Oz stuff in W@H is the weakest part of the movie for me, would prefer for TP:TR to do something less predictable.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'm pretty much fine with anything DKL does, he hasn't let me down yet. However, I am sort of hoping it's not the Wizard of Oz tribute that one website was theorizing. DKL loves that movie, I do too, but it's a cliché. The Wizard of Oz stuff in W@H is the weakest part of the movie for me, would prefer for TP:TR to do something less predictable.
Yeah I was going to say, 'Been there, done that' in Wild At Heart. If anything, it looks like a tribute to Alice In Wonderland more than anything (down the old rabbit hole).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Concerning endings;

Take the original Cooper dream and regard that as the tip of the iceberg of the originals. See how that amounts to episode 29.
Now take all the crazy stuff we've seen so far and think of it as the tip of another iceberg.

Imagine the finale of season 3.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:Concerning endings;

Take the original Cooper dream and regard that as the tip of the iceberg of the originals. See how that amounts to episode 29.
Now take all the crazy stuff we've seen so far and think of it as the tip of another iceberg.

Imagine the finale of season 3.
I know what you mean Soolsma- I feel my mind has already been blown out of my head. And there are 14 hours left!

I feel a little burnt right now- what an emotional rollercoaster it's been since the day Lynch and Frost tweeted the gum was coming back in style. This last week has been fabulous and I've been all over this board, but I think I am going to (try) and stay off dugpa for the weekend, and get back on around Tuesday.

So if you see me even lurking the board the next 3 days, feel free to call me out on it :-).

Have a great weekend.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

Dale Cooper is entrusted to take over as the new MIKE when the Arm/Tree Doppelgänger extinguishes his spirit

Phillip Jeffries takes the place of BOB when DoppelCoop is murdered in the real world and BOB cannot escape his body.

Cooper vs. Jeffries battle for control of the Black Lodge that - when Coop wins by extinguishing the spirit/soul of Jeffries/BOB - transforms into the WHITE LODGE for ever more.

Cooper cuts his RIGHT arm off and it transforms into a talking tape recorder that says "I... AM... THE... ARM. CALL... ME... DIANE."

Cut to BLACK
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
derekfnord

Post by derekfnord »

Dale starts awake from a dream, in bed with Suzanne Pleshette...
asselta

Post by asselta »

Harry Yallrite wrote:Dale Cooper is entrusted to take over as the new MIKE when the Arm/Tree Doppelgänger extinguishes his spirit

Cooper cuts his RIGHT arm off and it transforms into a talking tape recorder that says "I... AM... THE... ARM. CALL... ME... DIANE."

Cut to BLACK
Pure gold.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Harry Yallrite wrote:Cooper cuts his RIGHT arm off and it transforms into a talking tape recorder that says "I... AM... THE... ARM. CALL... ME... DIANE."

Cut to BLACK
Dale Cooper gets stabbed to death once and for all by the mystery man (from LH), the camera is drawn back to reveal the Lost Girl (from IE) watching the ending of Twin Peaks S3 and crying. She turns around, the camera then pans around we briefly see the baby from Eraserhead laying on the same bed. Then David Lynch's voice is heard:

"And CUT!. Karolina, we need more energy, more enthusiasm. Think about Frank Booth for a moment, what kind of terror does his character make you feel? try and incorporate those emotions to your reaction to Twin Peaks"

"Ok David, I'll try"

"Hey Mark (Frost), can you ask someone to get me some water, the shooting today is killing me"

"Sure David"
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

It's already done, so all we can do is go along for the wild ride.

As for a prediction of how I think it might end, I think it might end both open and closed. I think the Cooper story will have closure, but there will be something else left open. I think that would be ideal. It would mean it would feel okay if they decided not to make another season, but also okay if they did.