Fire Walk With Me Font

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

whatif
Roadhouse Member

Fire Walk With Me Font

Post by whatif »

Does anyone know what font is used for the title credits on Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me?
page_ripped_out

Post by page_ripped_out »

Sorry i can't help you, but is there anyone on the boards who might be able to help?

I have been after both the TV Show's and the movie's credit fonts forever now.

I heard from somewhere that the font name may include Highway ( Not anything related to lost highway i think )

Anyone?

Could this be it or close to ?

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/nicksfonts/outer-loop-nf/
" Diane, I'm holding in my hand, a box of small chocolate bunnies... "
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

The series Twin Peaks font is quite close to Arial Narrow Bold. Try a 40pt or bigger of that one, maroon-ish in colour, and add a 1,5 stroke bright green border on the type (Adobe Illustrator can do that). That's close enough for me, but the K still differs slightly. Try this preview to see if it's close enough. You won't get a border, though.

Also keep in mind that the font changed slightly sometime for episode 26-29. They also started writing "ERIC Da Re" instead of "ERIC DA RE" at this point. Props to JLyon on the TP Gazette board for finding this out.

Another person in that linked thread claims Simhei is close too, but I haven't tried that.

EDIT: I tried changin Arial Narrow Bold to Arial Narrow Bold Italic, and I'll be damed if it doesn't look quite a bit like the Fire Walk with Me font. Preview.
I'll compare for real when I get home.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Okay, that's not the FWWM font after all. It just looked like it on the screen. It's pretty similar, but it's not right.
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

I'm dying to find the right font to match. Does anyone know of any places that can match fonts?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I tried this one, but I got all wacky results.

Try to ask in the TP Gazette thread I linked to. I know that there are at least three designers with extensive knowledge of font there.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

I wouldn't say that the typeface is Arial. Being that Arial was made as an alternative computer version to the popular typeface Helvetica. Arial was pretty much made for Microsoft, and in my opinion is an awful looking face. I don't see a design company using a computer based typeface for printed material in the early 90s.

I haven't really looked closely at the credits, but based on my I remember I would say that the typeface maybe closer to something like Univers. Being that Univers has a large amount of different weights and styles.

I'll have to look at it again sometime more closely.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Not to be an ass, but did you even read the other posts?

I'm not saying it's Arial. In fact, I'm saying quite clearly that it's NOT Arial, only that it's the most similar-looking I know of - it's closer than Helvetica, for one thing, despite Helvetica being much more common in 1989.

Univers 67 condensed bold is the closest in the Univers family, and Arial is much, much closer to the actual Twin Peaks font than Univers. Seriously. Look at the K. It's not even close. Check the preview I linked to. They have Univers too.
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

Thanks for the tip Evenreven! I found one that was close but not exactly. I posted a sample and will update you all if I get a hit.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Here's a cover I made for my own amusement to go with a compilation I made. Since I wasn't happy with erasing around from the title screen from the DVDs, I used instead a brownish Arial Narrow Bold with a 1,5 stroke bright green border. I think it's pretty close. Judge for yourself. (I forgot to assign the proper color profile, so the brown looks black instead. It's supposed to be a little lighter and the green is supposed to be less garish. My printer uses a bizarre colour scheme, and these colours are customised for print resulting in strangeness when viewed on the web.)

edit: and here's the original, cut from the opening credits of episode 8:

edit2: and here's a colour corrected version of the one above. I squashed it together a little bit to better match the original. Mind you, this was done in a hurry:

(I'm still no closer on the FWWM font. Will update if I find it.)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Is the FWWM font not just "impact" a standard windows font???
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

It doesn't look like it. It's close, but the R is different.
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

Here is the one that the Font Match found. It's close but the S is a bit different. What do you all think?

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/dtptypes/n ... k-oblique/
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

That IS close. But the S is, as you say, quite different. Too bad.
j9
Roadhouse Member

Post by j9 »

Try Franklin Gothic Condensed Bold (or Demi) Italic (or Oblique).

That looks pretty close