Tarantino & Lynch

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Tarantino & Lynch

Post by Christian1989 »

What do they think of each other? I read somwehere that Tarantino stopped liking Lynch until FWWM, and on imdb.com it's listed that they make reference to each other's films in their works... What kind of references?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

I remember reading in an interview that Lynch loved Pulp Fiction, especially the deconstructed narrative (which he started including in his films right after it).
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I always thought that "True Romance" was a 99% blatant ripoff of "Wild at heart". Tarantino is probably the most overrated director in the history of cinema, so far i don't think he's had one original idea to bring to the table.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I think the entire point of Tarantino's career has been to not have original ideas! Whether that's a good idea or not is in the eyes of the beholder. As such, I think he's the closest to Lynch's polar opposite in American film. (Opposites can attract, though.) Lynch talks about "IDEAS!" and waves his hand around; Tarantino talks about his favourite movies and songs in an insistant tone. Both valid approaches to me.

I must say though, some scenes in Death Proof are proof that Tarantino is one of the greatest directors working today, whether you like his (lack of) ideas or not. They have an extremely delicate directorial sensibility which is hard to find this side of Robert Altman. That's probably the area where he and Lynch have most in common.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Did you think "Death Proof" was a good film/worth seeing??
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Yes! I think it's brilliant. Just underneath the formulaic surface, there's something of great beauty.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
JFK
Roadhouse Member

Post by JFK »

if you dont mind, what exactly makes you think its brilliant?(im am not setting up for a fight or anything, only want to hear your perspective)
i dont agree or disagree, just interested.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

This wasn't really supposed to be a Death Proof thread... However, Even, I agree with you.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

They both have 'quirky' dialogues in their films and depict actions of violent people.Also,they have worked with some same actors and staff.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

They both produced Eli Roth's movies.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Teopeaks wrote:I remember reading in an interview that Lynch loved Pulp Fiction, especially the deconstructed narrative (which he started including in his films right after it).
Do you have a reference for this by any chance?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

No, sorry, I read it a long time ago in a french newspaper. When I'm in France, I'll check my old magazines and tell you.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

If that's happening any time in the next month or so, that would be wonderful. If not, then no worries. Although if anyone else has the article that would be brilliant...