Yearning for Lynch...!

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

james
RR Diner Member

Yearning for Lynch...!

Post by james »

This is an enquiry for help. It must have been the quality of INLAND EMPIRE and that I liked it so much. Plus getting the AIR IS ON FIRE art book in 07 as well. A good year for a person who enjoys anything by Lynch, but especially his more abstract and peculiar stuff.

So it bothers me that Lynch isn't more productive. With DV he could have a film a year out if he wanted. Somebody mentioned on here he is helping out editing a Meditation documentary, I looked that up on IMDb and he's just a producer.

I turned to the possibility of davidlynch.com but I'm worried that if I pay to have a look at that there won't be anything new to interest me that much. If there was a new series or something like the once-promised AXXON N then I'd be intrigued but the site seems a bit lacking.

Is it worth signing up for any new entertainment as such?

What other avenues could one go down as a big Lynch fan?

Is Lynch now totally preoccupied with the DL Foundation and all that? I know he paints still, but its a damn shame with his professed love of DV he doesn't seem to be using it to produce something more right now.

Well, maybe other posters here will help me out - where to look for Lynch-type goodies or 'entertainment', please? And will there be something forthcoming from Lynch himself sooner or later?
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

"Gut` Ding will Weile haben!"

But maybe you can try out Tideland from Terry Gilliam and report whether it is worth of getting it. I don`t know it, but I have seen it as suggestion for IE-lovers.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Concerning the documentary, Lynch said in an interview " I'm cutting a documentary that I'm making right now of a fifteen country tour I did in November to establish invincible universities for peace, with Maharishi's consciousness based education. For me it's also just telling people what I know about Maharishi."

You can find the interview here: http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... .html#more
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Thanks for the responses, but he's obviously not go a film plan /project on the go as such right now, at least not one he's spoken of.

I've signed up on davidlynch.com and thus far I am not very optimistic that I'll stay a member for long because there's no new material promised. The whole site is basically just sitting there as far as I can see. Why doesn't Lynch do some Twin Peaks stuff on there like he mentioned? I'd sign up for that! But then again, the quality might be a bit poor viewed on a computer monitor so I'm not so sure.

That's one of the problems with the stuff on there. And films like Coyote #1 - what the heck is going on and what is the point. Nothing happens. I did think Out Yonder was pretty ok and insane, as were the rubber gloves blown up into faces. That was funny/ inane.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

James, what Axxon N. was going to be got worked into Inland Empire as one of the threads, so it is already made.
David works every single day and his output is amazing - it's just not what his film fans always want or are waiting for. He dabbles in many things and excels at them all as far as I have known. Look for more music.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

james wrote: Why doesn't Lynch do some Twin Peaks stuff on there like he mentioned?
When and where did he say that? :shock:

I thought he was done with Twin Peaks forever.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

He is. It was just some vague statement about the future of cinematic stories being on the Internet, and Twin Peaks was mentioned. And he told Catherine Coulson a while ago that regarding Twin Peaks "there are still stories to tell". Which is pretty obvious and not really new info. In my guess he'll make a Ronnie Rocket trilogy in Cinerama 70mm before he ever touches Twin Peaks again. And the Dale Cooper mini-movies rumour turned out to be just that, a rumour. I wouldn't hold my breath.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Oh, it was that. I was familiar with the "still stories to tell" - thing.
When it comes to the mini-series about Coop, I think people misunderstood his role in the tv-series "In Justice" to be a sort of reprise of his role as Agent Cooper, hence the rumours. Also post-production on INLAND EMPIRE was being done at the time "In Justice" was shown on television, so maybe people got "David Lynch's new film" mixed up with "Agent Cooper's new tv-series". Who knows?

By the way, I haven't watched the new series with Kyle MacLachlan.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Well Frost was actually quoted talking about the possibility of working on something TP.

http://movies.go.com/moviesproxy/tipster?id=746150

Those comments from Frost must be genuine surely?

Evenreven, it seems strange to me how fans give the impression they know everything about Lynch. So, you know every project or thing Lynch might be working on right now?

I don't understand how someone who can write loads of stuff up about changing the second season seems to dismiss any idea of Twin Peaks continuing in some form other than fan fiction. Maybe I'm a miserable git, but I don't really like reading fan fiction based on Twin Peaks. Likewise, if there was a graphic novel continuing tp I'd not be that pleased. I was glad Lynch nixed that idea recently.

TP was for me just a visual thing, more than anything. And a mood piece. Admittedly, I can't figure out how Lynch would do anything TP again now.

However, INLAND EMPIRE seemed to be the most Twin Peaksy thing Lynch has done since it. Certain parts of it and its story harked back to TP.

So in that sense I could see Lynch doing something with maybe an element or two of Twin Peaks in it again, like referencing it. Who knows?

On the other hand, maybe Lynch has pretty much retired from film-making?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Sigh.

I don't know everything he has planned. I said quite clearly that it was - and I quote - a "guess". I base that GUESS on what little Lynch has ever said about continuing Twin Peaks. Which has been evasive at best, when he's not actually completely denying the possibility outright.

And fan fiction is usually something I don't care for either, but it's more like a fun extended conversation between fellow fans than anything else. It's not meant to be anything more than that. Twin Peaks is about the only thing I care enough about - partly because of the obviously squandered potential of the series - to actually want to write. Official continuation is something else. And frankly, at this point, not something I would want to see.

I honestly feel that this reply is more than your snarky post deserves.

(PS: "Retired from filmmaking"? Years passed between Mulholland dr. and Inland Empire. It's not old yet in any scheme of things.)
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Snarky? I thought your initial response was a little bit of a downer to be honest. I don't know why people can't be more up about stuff. Maybe I'm just oversensitive. I'm not being entirely serious about any of this either so please don't take me as writing this po-faced.

You sound a bit like the Queen though, 'I do not know if i deign to answer scum like you'? Are you from the UK evenreven by the way? Just wondered if you might know about the |Gold set here.

Only kidding with you old boy, I like reading your posts and everything, don't take me seriously.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Hey, I didn't mean it like that, and I'm sorry if I come across as a bit of a twat on screen. Let's chalk this up as the silly text-based non-issue - the kind that never happens in real life because there you have facial expressions. I'm not from the UK, btw, verbal resemblance with the Queen notwithstanding. :)

My downer post was only about trying to be realistic about Twin Peaks. It's been well over 15 years now. I don't see it happening, that's all, and nothing David Lynch has said so far has convinced me otherwise. He's an artist, and artists get easily bored and want to try new things. I'm not saying I believe that hell will freeze over first, but I do think it's a dead thing to him now; or maybe more like a beautiful place that exists out there, but still a place which he will just let be.

I agree that there are all kinds of Twin Peaks-like themes in Inland Empire, especially I find Fire Walk with Me to be IE's one true antecedent. Which is cool. And the way that I would personally prefer Twin Peaks to continue; in thematic fashion, tangents, associational stuff.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

It turns out my feelings are pretty similar to yours then! I too like any associational stuff and images that chime with others in Lynch's work.

I liked seeing the monkey at the end of INLAND EMPIRE. You can't fault some of the stuff Lynch did with FWWM - going back up to the Northwest of America to film it mostly on location - that was brilliant. I loved how the pilot of TP was all done on location.

I loved the scene in the woods in INLAND EMPIRE too, even though it beats me what it was exactly about!

It would be really good if Lynch did something woodsy again maybe as a film.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I agree. He knows the woods. What's interesting is that now a David Lynch woods film will look like a creepy home movie like The Blair Witch Project rather than the beautiful and mysterious Twin Peaks. Unless he buys himself a better camera, that is. :)
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Didn't Lynch mention in interviews that whilst he intended to still use digital for further projects, he will upgrade from the modest camera used to make INLAND EMPIRE? Even though IE was filmed with a relatively modest camera, it still managed some really good shots I thought.

I don't know for certain, but a lot of the film was hand-held wasn't it? If the camera was still on a tripod and so forth it would immediately look more pleasing to the eye I believe.

Even with the camera used for IE I think you could get some beautiful woodsy shots.

I think one thing with Twin Peaks that left me unsatisfied was a lack of real quality shots of woods environments. The Pilot was good, all shot on location. Then with the series it was clear it wasn't the same wooded areas being filmed whenever there was anything like that filmed, exterior-wise.

Then, this belongs in the 'what would you change about FWWM', but with Fire Walk with Me I felt like there could have been more woods scenes. There was a great shot right after the Pink room sequence, the night-time drugs score scene - but that was all in pitch black. The final scenes did feature some good woodsy evocation but it wasn't as novel as I'd hoped before I saw the film - it was what I'd expected if I wasn't being that imaginative. I'm not even sure if the Glastonbury Grove part in FWWM was shot on a sound stage? If not, I'd be interested to know where that was.