Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Post by dreamshake »

I wanted to keep this out of the main TSHOTP thread so we didn't have to spoiler tag everything. Anyways, list direct connections or things that reminded you of the novel.

Some direct connections:
Tamara Preston
Mention of Briggs meeting Bad Coop by Bobby
The entity in the box in NYC and in FL with Dougie and Nixon are similar
Wally Brando mentioning Lewis & Clark and the first caucasians to set foot around Twin Peaks

I am wondering if the Log's message to Hawk will have anything to do with the Nez Pearce and Chief Joseph. Also the Box entity's attack reminded me of the razor wounds Lewis suffered when he was murdered, even though he suffered gun shot wounds too.
kornishpyxee
Roadhouse Member

Re: Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Post by kornishpyxee »

I was wondering if the "Cooper...Cooper...Cooper" message that Briggs got from Listening Post Alpha (also part of original series, season 1?) was a warning that there would actually be 3 Coopers--Cooper, COOPER, and Dougie.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jacoby not being a doctor anymore.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Jacoby not being a doctor anymore.
But he's still credited as "Dr. Lawrence Jacoby"! Is it possible his psychiatry license was revoked but he'a still technically an MD?

I wonder how Mark's reveal of Frank Truman, hints at Briggs's fate, etc. in the book meshed with the NDA. I guess tie-in materials fall into the same santion-free zone as promos?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
But he's still credited as "Dr. Lawrence Jacoby"! Is it possible his psychiatry license was revoked but he'a still technically an MD?

I wonder how Mark's reveal of Frank Truman, hints at Briggs's fate, etc. in the book meshed with the NDA. I guess tie-in materials fall into the same santion-free zone as promos?
Hmmm, that could be I suppose. And the show does not actually say he's not a doctor or psychiatrist anymore, but one might infer that given his living conditions and how he seems to be spending his time.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

kornishpyxee wrote:I was wondering if the "Cooper...Cooper...Cooper" message that Briggs got from Listening Post Alpha (also part of original series, season 1?) was a warning that there would actually be 3 Coopers--Cooper, COOPER, and Dougie.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
Been wondering that too. Thing is, the major says Cooper three times but on the paper there are more than three /COOPER/'s printed.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Soolsma wrote:
kornishpyxee wrote:I was wondering if the "Cooper...Cooper...Cooper" message that Briggs got from Listening Post Alpha (also part of original series, season 1?) was a warning that there would actually be 3 Coopers--Cooper, COOPER, and Dougie.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
Been wondering that too. Thing is, the major says Cooper three times but on the paper there are more than three /COOPER/'s printed.
I always thought it was a reverse time thing echoing Briggs looking for Cooper (and calling out his name) in the woods, hence a non-linear thing, which would fit well. a mirror image that comes in BEFORE the original, from "beyond".
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

dronerstone wrote:I always thought it was a reverse time thing echoing Briggs looking for Cooper (and calling out his name) in the woods, hence a non-linear thing, which would fit well. a mirror image that comes in BEFORE the original, from "beyond".
I somewhat doubt this was the intent of the creators, given how much they were making things up as they went along, but I like this idea, and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

In the same vein as Coop still being credited as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" I suppose? It's curious because the credits are otherwise very careful about updating character details ("Lucy Brennan") and eliding spoilers ("??????", "Shelly")...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Jasper wrote:
dronerstone wrote:I always thought it was a reverse time thing echoing Briggs looking for Cooper (and calling out his name) in the woods, hence a non-linear thing, which would fit well. a mirror image that comes in BEFORE the original, from "beyond".
I somewhat doubt this was the intent of the creators, given how much they were making things up as they went along, but I like this idea, and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
Yup, right on! I guess a lot of the old show was written coincidentally and quasi made up in reverse, on the spot. Like Lynch often said, things kinda fell into place perfectly.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

In the same vein as Coop still being credited as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" I suppose? It's curious because the credits are otherwise very careful about updating character details ("Lucy Brennan") and eliding spoilers ("??????", "Shelly")...
But oddly enough, Gordon also refers to Coop by his title in-show ("Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to speak now to Special Agent Dale Cooper"). Maybe because the title is so much a part of Coop's personality/identity? Or DKL just really likes saying it?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:

But oddly enough, Gordon also refers to Coop by his title in-show ("Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to speak now to Special Agent Dale Cooper"). Maybe because the title is so much a part of Coop's personality/identity? Or DKL just really likes saying it?
Do we know for a fact Coop was terminated from the FBI? Maybe there was a hint of truth in Coop working undercover..
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

If I recall correctly, it is 7 question marks for Struycken's name -- ???????
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

(sorry to be a stickler, but I'm a 7 kind of person, so I notice these things)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote: In the same vein as Coop still being credited as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" I suppose? It's curious because the credits are otherwise very careful about updating character details ("Lucy Brennan") and eliding spoilers ("??????", "Shelly")...
Do we know for a fact Coop was terminated from the FBI? Maybe there was a hint of truth in Coop working undercover..
The pertinent facts so far, to the best of my recollection:
  • TSHOTP clearly states he's off the active roster.
    Also TSHOTP states there are classified files on him and Briggs following the end of the dossier, so he may not be as off the grid as a lot of characters think.
    Doppelcoop uses a FBI login.
    Gordon does not contradict him when he says the undercover thing, although Tammy later disproves some details of that claim.
We'll see soon enough how these all come together, I guess

(My friends and I have declared that he could count as an agent of the Lodge at the moment, and he's most certainly a very special boy, so 'special agent' checks out anyway. There, solved it)
Saturn's child wrote:If I recall correctly, it is 7 question marks for Struycken's name -- ???????
Probably meaningful, yeah!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.