Confess your Twin Peaks sins

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:There's a kind of Platonic Twin Peaks out there in the ether and the show, for all its flaws, gives us a taste of that.
Joel, you've confessed to many atrocious and despicable sins in your post (and some that weren't so bad), but I very much agree with the above statement. Generally speaking, I think that we know when the show is doing its best at communicating this Form, and when it's failing miserably or otherwise idling. When I think of Twin Peaks more abstractly, I'm really thinking of its Platonic Form.
Talalay

Post by Talalay »

I think Laura Dern is the worst actress ever and I am praying she will not be playing a major role
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The Marquis wrote:I can't really think of any except one...

I vastly prefer Moira Kelly as Donna over Lara Flynn Boyle. I have since I first saw FWWM. It's not that I'm not satisfied with LFB as Donna, but when I saw FWWM, my immediate reaction was "Oh, I wish she could have been Donna all along"... I just like her general demeanor more and she feels more like I think her character was supposed to feel.
I think that when you look at LFB as Donna in the pilot and earlier episodes, there's more of Moira Kelly's innocence. Later on, with behind-the-scenes issues, it seems the attempt was made to 'sex up' Donna, which never made sense and only managed to make the character dislikeable.

I feel people shift from 'boyhood' to ''manhood' or from 'girlhood' to 'womanhood' at an almost indefinable moment. It's sometimes subtle, but nevertheless becomes obvious. It's in the way they carry themselves and instinctively respond in situations and, with actors, some of the choices they make. It happened to a lot of the younger cast of Twin Peaks in that first two seasons.

James changed drastically between dorky teen in the pilot to a more charming grown up in the first episode. LFB changed between seasons one and two, Mike and Bobby changed between the pilot and first episode and even more so by the end of season two. I can understand why there was supposedly discussion about making a significant time jump between seasons two and three, because the sight of most of those 'kids' at high school was ridiculous – while it's not uncommon to see twenty-somethings playing high school kids, normally young-looking actors are cast in the first place.

In a sense, Donna's innocence was one of the most important aspects of the character. We know from the Secret Diary that Laura had got her into trouble before and that FWWM is where it hit it's peak (unintended pun) but keeping Donna more 'virginal,' for want of a better term, would make her more interesting as she examined her friend's more outré secret life.

Moira Kelly nailed Donna as she was in the pilot and as she should have been for the first two seasons. She still managed to seem young and wide-eyed, where LFB's shift to womanhood gave the character a 'knowing' quality that ran against the idea of Donna, 'the teen investigator.'
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Last night I dreamt I met David Lynch and he tried to sell me an autographed, laminated photograph of himself for 100 bucks and got really grumpy (in a very Lynch way) when I refused to take the offer.
BlackYukonSuckerPunk

Post by BlackYukonSuckerPunk »

I didn't want a return and got anxious when it was announced.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

UGh!!!!!! Major sin commited just now. I discovered a major spoiler ep05 recap and couldn't resist to read it all. Bummer. I'll certainly refrain from doing so for future episodes. I'm in deep regret over this, worse than the old spoiler thread way back, because most info in there was merely set photos and small tidbits - most of which I completely forgot already, which seems fine.

DAMN! Why...
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Talalay wrote:I think Laura Dern is the worst actress ever and I am praying she will not be playing a major role
That's not a sin, just misjudgement :-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
WindUpBird

Post by WindUpBird »

Feeling pretty guilty here:

I quite like the Diane Keaton episode
And the Josie being Catherine's maid plot
I've never tasted cherry pie
I've never been all that interested in the Philip Jeffries character
It took me about 6 watches of Fire Walk With Me to realize Theresa Banks had arranged a foursome for Leland with Laura and Ronette - I think I just thought the image of them on the bed was just Leland's imagination.
I LOVE the just you and I scene and probably still would even if we didn't have the amazing Bob scene to follow.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:There's a kind of Platonic Twin Peaks out there in the ether and the show, for all its flaws, gives us a taste of that.
Joel, you've confessed to many atrocious and despicable sins in your post (and some that weren't so bad), but I very much agree with the above statement. Generally speaking, I think that we know when the show is doing its best at communicating this Form, and when it's failing miserably or otherwise idling. When I think of Twin Peaks more abstractly, I'm really thinking of its Platonic Form.
I also agree with this -- I associate TP (and my love for it) most with the woods at night, the swinging lonely traffic light....talismans that say so much about the world (and were obviously hugely important to DKL's vision), but probably 80% of the show has a totally different vibe from that. If I have any specific hopes at all for the new show, I want to see a lot more of the woods and the town at night than we did in the original run.

I also feel the original series loses the reality and scope of the Pilot. The Pilot actually feels like there is a "whole damn town" of mill workers, school principals, morgue attendants, etc. The series proper immediately feels a bit more incestuous/diminished, where we rarely meet townies who aren't regulars or recurring guests. Ironically, the second season errs by bringing in an endless parade of outsiders, but when it comes to exploring things in the town itself, unrealistically focuses on only the familiar characters in a very "TV" kind of way (e.g., Dick hosting every event, Pinkle as jack of all trades, the beauty pageant conveniently featuring most of the major female characters and three nondescript extras). The Pilot feels like a real, inhabited world in a way that the series, even at its absolute best, never quite does for me.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Is it a sin that I'm enjoying the new series even more than the previous seasons?
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Talalay

Post by Talalay »

BOB1 wrote:
Talalay wrote:I think Laura Dern is the worst actress ever and I am praying she will not be playing a major role
That's not a sin, just misjudgement :-)
Nothing personal I just feel she has a screen presence uncannily akin to Big Bird from Sesame Street.

I know Lynch can't ever do wrong in the eyes of the fans but as I would rather see Laura Harring in TP.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I also feel the original series loses the reality and scope of the Pilot.

The Pilot feels like a real, inhabited world in a way that the series, even at its absolute best, never quite does for me.

That's exactly what this new season's guilty of as well. So far.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I also feel the original series loses the reality and scope of the Pilot.

The Pilot feels like a real, inhabited world in a way that the series, even at its absolute best, never quite does for me.

That's exactly what this new season's guilty of as well. So far.
While I have some issues with the pacing/editing in certain scenes and with misguided attempts at comedy, I strongly disagree with you on this particular critique of the new show. Granted, on some level, the new show has an unfair advantage over the original: rather than focusing exclusively on one small town, it's been giving us short glimpses of a variety of locales, some of our world and others decidedly not. But for me, the glimpses of NYC, Buckhorn, Twin Peaks itself (thinking particularly of the brief but loaded Roadhouse scene at the end of Part 2), and even "the other place" feel as or more realistically lived-in than most anything since the Pilot (with the exception of FWWM). The Vegas stuff does feel rather more artificial, but it remains to be seen whether that will eventually pay off.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
claaa7 wrote:Moira Kelly was a better Donna than Lara Flynn Boyle
1st generation fans might kill you
Have known of only 3 old school fans that don't loathe LFB and 2 of them just feel sorry for her
decoyoctopus wrote:I really dislike Michael Ontkean's acting/mildly confused stares
- Never thought Harry had personality, can't believe he was a sex symbol.
- John Justice Wheeler is fire tho and I hope he's he NYC cube millionaire or some significant part of S3
- People who mock James with memes like it's their job need to step on Legos, they're the most boring useless excuses for fans
- The pilot hasn't aged well
- I tell people to watch Q2's Northwest Passage instead. The full series is not for everyone, and I judge people who never thought to bother with it until now if they're my age.
If they weren't intrigued before, they're just going to complain my face off and blame me for setting them up for season 2 disappointment they won't feel like sitting through til the rewards of the Lynch episodes and I don't want to hear it.
- I won't listen to podcasts. I agree fan theories are mostly meh. I do like the Deer Meadow Dream prologue as a theory tho.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Here's mine:

- Up until about 2007, I thought Moira Kelly was the better Donna and that the FWWM Palmer House was better than the Series Palmer House (thanks Charles)

- I obsessed over the Missing Pieces for 22 years and have only watched them 4 times since they were released in 2014.

- I didn't rewatch the series before the S3 premiere.

- I thought Annie was a better fit for Cooper than Audrey up until 2007. Thanks to Audrey Horne's "All things Audrey" epic post.

- I used to like Season 2 better than Season 1 up until 2005.

- The first time I watched the Twin Peaks Pilot I couldn't tell the difference between Leland Palmer and Ben Horne. (I was young!)

- In an empty theater during the original run of FWWM I made a bootleg audio tape of the film on my Cooper dictaphone. Listened to it religiously until I was able to purchase a bootleg copy on VHS of the Japanese Laserdisc. Watched that a hundred times or so until the New Line VHS was released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk