Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

Esselgee wrote:I wonder if that was Jane Levy's only scene. Didn't she imply that she had limited screen time?
I would think she'd have a bit more to do than that. But then again, who knows? I think she's a great actress and would hope she'd be given a tiny bit more.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

garethw wrote:
Has Jacoby jumped the shark? I thought it was hilarious.
I'm just hoping he hasn't turned out to be a total con artist - I mean, obviously the shovels aren't really made of gold. But he struck me as somebody who meant well even though he did some very irresponsible and unethical things. I don't see him purposely trying to fleece people without some good intention behind it, so I suspect he has bought into all those conspiracy theories to some extent.

I suppose if anybody on Twin Peaks were going to become a conspiracy theorist, it would probably be Jacoby or Nadine (who seems like she probably believes some of it too from her reaction).
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
garethw wrote:
Has Jacoby jumped the shark? I thought it was hilarious.
I'm just hoping he hasn't turned out to be a total con artist - I mean, obviously the shovels aren't really made of gold. But he struck me as somebody who meant well even though he did some very irresponsible and unethical things. I don't see him purposely trying to fleece people without some good intention behind it, so I suspect he has bought into all those conspiracy theories to some extent.

I suppose if anybody on Twin Peaks were going to become a conspiracy theorist, it would probably be Jacoby or Nadine (who seems like she probably believes some of it too from her reaction).

If we're to take the Secret History of Twin Peaks as canon it would seem like Jacoby had a bit of mental breakdown after everything settled down and he lost his licence to practice. My guess is he grew bitter then kind of isolated which brings us to the Jacoby we see today.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

Gotcha.. It seemed like you were saying you found Dougie (Coop) More interesting than Twin Peaks stuff which I would have had to disagree with.
Nah, It's 4.38am here, I'm probably not explaining myself very well. I find the Dougie stuff quite interesting, well, in the context that I am kind of waiting for something to happen - for him to see more clues, pointers etc. I would like to find the Twin Peaks stuff more interesting, but as we've established: they aren't really giving us too much to find interesting.

TP, first and foremost for me, was a horror, all the quirky stuff was great, but it's the feeling of terror that really gets me feeling. For that reason, absolutely anything to do with the BL or bad Cooper is exactly what I came here for. The FBI investigation, I think, is going to be gripping stuff.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

beyondthesea wrote:
Gotcha.. It seemed like you were saying you found Dougie (Coop) More interesting than Twin Peaks stuff which I would have had to disagree with.
Nah, It's 4.38am here, I'm probably not explaining myself very well. I find the Dougie stuff quite interesting, well, in the context that I am kind of waiting for something to happen - for him to see more clues, pointers etc. I would like to find the Twin Peaks stuff more interesting, but as we've established: they aren't really giving us too much to find interesting.

TP, first and foremost for me, was a horror, all the quirky stuff was great, but it's the feeling of terror that really gets me feeling. For that reason, absolutely anything to do with the BL or bad Cooper is exactly what I came here for. The FBI investigation, I think, is going to be gripping stuff.
I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. I love the horror and surrealistic parts of Twin Peaks but also the quirky comedy and character studies.

The new show for the most part has kind of ditched the character studies especially in Twin Peaks. I feel that's the direct result of there being so many characters.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Jacoby is just trying to introduce some alchemy into the lives of Twin Peaks....for the low low price of $29.99.

Also, Sheryl Lee is probably being credited for her fave during the opening credits. Unless she's very well hidden somewhere in a scene.

Also, in case anyone was wondering about the statue, remember that in My Life, My Tapes that the reason Cooper was inspired to join the FBI was a poster for The FBI Story that hung above his childhood bed
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 8619 times
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Well they went there with the CGI Bob. I never would have predicted that and certainly wouldn't have predicted if I knew they were doing it that it would work so well. It was genuinely creepy... still I hope they don't overdo it.

The Dougie storyline is growing on me somewhat. I'm getting some laughs and Kyle is doing a great job with it, but still hoping it reaches the end point soon. Next episode will mark the 1/3 point of the series, seems like a good thing to get taken care of in the opening act.

Also, my least favorite character of the earlier episodes got a scene where she was looking like a competent FBI agent. Maybe. I mean it helped that she wasn't walking.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

The only negative thing I can truly say about this episode was that the whole scene with Frank and his wife was quite awkward and not in the usual off-beat quirky TP way. It just seemed to go on and on and on to the point where it started to make me cringe. That's one thing I've noticed so far, some of the humor is dragged out a little too long until it stops being funny.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Jonah wrote:Did anyone else think the actress in the pentagon scene looked like Joan Cusack?
Only vaguely. I believe the actress is Adele René.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

trismegistus wrote:Also, in case anyone was wondering about the statue, remember that in My Life, My Tapes that the reason Cooper was inspired to join the FBI was a poster for The FBI Story that hung above his childhood bed

IMG_2882.JPG
Nice! Thanks for that.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

AgentEcho wrote:Also, my least favorite character of the earlier episodes got a scene where she was looking like a competent FBI agent. Maybe. I mean it helped that she wasn't walking.
+1
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Anyone else get the feeling the Warden knew what DoppelCooper meant when he mentioned Mr. Strawberry?
NorthwestDreamer

Post by NorthwestDreamer »

madeleineferguson wrote:Also... Toad has been recast.
And become a whole lot older than he should be (and skinnier!)
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

So the Buckhorn Police haven't realized that Phyllis is dead, right? Guess they'll find out in part 6.
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

The hitman is using a smartphone when talking to the blackberry lady, so no this is not 2003.
She is probably using a blackberry because it's secure, and Jeffries is on the other side, not because it's the most modern thing she can get.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.