Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

Poltergeist27 wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Sooo, prediction time. How many more parts before Cooper rediscovers he true self. My bet is halfway through, around part 8.
I agree with this assessment. Every Showtime promo shows Ccoper driving somewhere, presumably to Twin Peaks, and he certainly could not do that in his present state. And part of the show is his journey back to TP. I don't think it will be teased out to the end. I think it will be soon.
I'd forgotten about that clip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Normonaut wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Something may def be up with Sonny Jim now though. That backwards Lodge eyeblink, just like Laura.
I totally missed that, is that when he's in the car?

Yes. Towards the end of the scene.
I'm not sure it was "backwards" or just a double blink from a sleepy kid, but upon second viewing I definitely noticed it.
Thanks, I'll have a look

AmyCringeneck

Post by AmyCringeneck »

thunderclap82 wrote:
I'm not seeing it. I've gone back and watched that scene a couple times and all I see is a very intense Coop. I'm pretty good at picking up subtleties like you're talking about, but this one I'm just not seeing.
Really?! Look at the mouth & nose:
Last edited by AmyCringeneck on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkillevippen

Post by kkillevippen »

thunderclap82 wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:That Doppelcoop into Frank Silva face morph fucked me up so much it took me a full minute to realize the person behind the desk in the next scene was Mike.
I'm not seeing it. I've gone back and watched that scene a couple times and all I see is a very intense Coop. I'm pretty good at picking up subtleties like you're talking about, but this one I'm just not seeing.
There you go.
cooper_bob-banner.jpg
cooper_bob-banner.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
There's also a .gif somewhere up in the thread.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

When watching it the first time I noticed it some in the mouth. Upon rewatch it is much more noticeable in the forehead and hairline.
thunderclap82
Roadhouse Member

Post by thunderclap82 »

AmyCringeneck wrote:
thunderclap82 wrote:
Really?! Look at the mouth & nose:
I spotted the animated GIF someone posted and I see it now.
kkillevippen

Post by kkillevippen »

Hockey Mask wrote:When watching it the first time I noticed it some in the mouth. Upon rewatch it is much more noticeable in the forehead and hairline.

Yeah, I initially noticed the mouth only as well. It's very subtle transition overall.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
musicaddict wrote:Gripes:
- I fast-forwarded the Dougie scenes. Too long and pointless now.
While it can appear frustrating, especially for anyone not into Jacques Tati-type humor I'm pretty sure this material is the heart of The Return.
Hey, yeah! Tati is the key.
cy cy

Post by cy cy »

Christa Bell

dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Has anyone mentioned that the print Agent Preston is focusing on is Coop's left ring finger?
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Burns's Suite wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:What if the box itself is now Phillip Jeffries :shock:

I mean, Lynch turned the LMFAP into a braintree so maybe he turned Jeffries into a box.

By the way, I recall DoppelCoop had some kind of a device when calling Jeffries in one of the earlier episodes. Did it look anything like that box at Buenos Aires?.
Part of me can only hope. Judging by the "evolution of the arm" and the inclusion of Frank Truman I get the vibe that DL was unwilling to recast anyone for this series, and if Bowie didn't secretly film something (who other than Heather Graham is my only pick for a top-secret cameo) this would possibly be the only logical route.

Everybody's speculating that Tim Roth will be the new Jeffries (and out of all the actors on the cast list he would personaly be my number 1 pick for a recast), but how can one replace and live up to Bowie?
This was my impression as well, that maybe Jeffries was the box, or tied to it somehow. It transforming, if anything, made me believe this more.
Jacob wrote: I don't think the part was "well-balanced" like some of you said. Between the Dougie storyline on one side, and the Twin Peaks scenes (with Forster's wife or Jacoby's speech) on the other, the episode felt very, very comedic, much more than the previous ones. Not that it's a bad thing per se, but it didn't feel to me like a perfect exemple of what can be a "The Return's episode" (as LostIntheMovies is saying). The tone was much more lighter than the first four parts and I'm surprised it's not more discussed from this angle.
I agree that this episode was more comedic than episode 1/2 and probably 3. I think the show is generally pretty funny though, and that especially applies with the old series. This is definitely darker, but I think it's darker because it's cable 2017 vs network 1990, rather than the show being less funny as a whole. If anything, the commitment to DroolCoop and nearly everyone in Twin Peaks being funny emphasises that. As I said previously, I think this episode has a bit of everything, and in good chunky doses. The horror elements are all well done, same applies to the drama, the dreamy, and especially the mystery (that goes one step forward and then two steps back!). I really liked this episode as someone who's on board on the threads we already know about, and can roll with the new ones. There might be too many threads going on at once, a bit like Arrested Development season 4, but it's still very intriguing.

I think considering how many characters seen in the first few episodes have been killed, fired, or sort of written off, I still think this is the best example of what a Return episode could be. Knowing Lynch, everything will be different next episode. Him and Frost appear to enjoy messing with expectations.
Hurley

Post by Hurley »

I too hope Richard Horne is not Audrey's son, though the way he holds his cigarette and moves his hand has me worried.

My understanding is that fingerprints from the male John Doe in South Dakota matched Briggs. But we also learn that Briggs' fingerprints have shown up multiple times over the past 25 years. My interpretation is that they've shown up on multiple homicide victims. This seems like a BoppleCoop calling card, similar to the letters that Bob/Leland left in the past.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

At the end of the credits it says in memory of Marv Rosand. I only remembered then that he died shortly before Catherine Coulson. He comments on how quiet the RR is shortly before Norma breaks down in FWWM. It's Toad alright.

Personally this has been my favourite episode so far. Music is creeping back in, things feel more coherent narratively despite more questions being asked than answered. Some great acting from the new blood. More appearances from the old that feel more involved than just cameos.

Bring on Episode 6 I say.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

can we lay that 2003 discussion to rest?
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

Totally mistook the Johnny Jewel "Windswept" song over the credits as a new Angelo Badalamenti composition. It was really well-done and the perfect undertone to that scene with DroolCoop. Found it on iTunes and downloaded it right away!