Part 5 - Case files (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by TwinsPeak »

OneEyedJack wrote:
4815162342 wrote:
Normonaut wrote: You made a "joke" about a scene in Twin Peaks (so, something to do with Twin Peaks), and I'm asking for an explanation. You are unwilling to do that publicly? Geez, what a landmine I walked on here. I think my original point is made, I'm done.
And so is mine. Have a good day, the offer still stands.
I'm convinced these two are Frank and Doris' online accounts here.
LOL touche

I think you answered your own question!

1= yes
2= no

oldest code in the book, unless she throwing a curveball at us. PI
You're probably right.

I was thinking maybe

1= 1 Coop
2=2 Coops
Here's a new theory: Dougie Jones was manufactured from Agent Chet Desmond, who was last seen reaching for the Owl Cave ring and whose character was invented in the first place as a replacement for Agent Cooper (since Kyle had initially planned not to participate in FWWM). Plus Chet already looked a bit like Cooper so it would have made the manufacturing process a little easier.
I hadn't thought of that. I am now.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 5 (SPOILERS)

Post by BEARisonFord »

polishq wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Cappy wrote:One thing I wonder about the ring found in Maj. Briggs
Who says that's him? Did I miss something?
The scene at the Pentagon in part 5 confirms that the fingerprints from the headless body are a match with Briggs. But oddly his fingerprints have been popping up in various places 16 times over the past 25 years.
I thought that was referring to prints found on the body.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

qbin2001 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So Mr. C convinces Audrey he is the good Coop and they have two children together, Richard and Linda?
Come on. You can't be serious...
I'm just throwing it out there :)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

So, are we witnessing Alchemy in action?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopoeia
Attachments
DBqg-G-UIAA3e25.jpg
DBqg-G-UIAA3e25.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

BEARisonFord wrote:
polishq wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Who says that's him? Did I miss something?
The scene at the Pentagon in part 5 confirms that the fingerprints from the headless body are a match with Briggs. But oddly his fingerprints have been popping up in various places 16 times over the past 25 years.
I thought that was referring to prints found on the body.
Nope, they were running the prints in an attempt to identify the corpse and the system came back with "military access required".
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

And Richard and Linda will basically dove-tail into the Star Wars universe as Luke and Leia.

Lynch will finally do his Return of the Jedi. lol
Clinkers

Post by Clinkers »

I didnt enjoy this episode as much as the previous 4, but still enjoyed it.

Something that struck me, "something is missing", what happened to the memorial at the front of the Sherrif's staion? Cant be that, much too obvious to miss!

gladhand

Post by gladhand »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Cappy wrote:One thing I wonder about the ring found in Maj. Briggs:

Was this ring of the Dougie and Janey-E that we have seen in Season 3, or was it the ring of Doug Milford and of his many wives? Considering Maj. Briggs' relationship with Doug Milford, it sort of makes sense that he would have access to this artifact.

Maybe Doug Milford from Secret History is just a huge red herring, but having read it before watching S3 it's hard not to connect him with the Dougie played by Cooper.
Huh. Interesting point. Also worth noting that Dougie Milford spent much of his life as a directionless hedonistic alcoholic -- much like the real Dougie Jones, apparently -- before finding purpose in government service.
It feels highly improbable to me - the ring was inscribed “to Dougie with love Janey-E" which makes the Dougie we've been watching a suspect, together with Bill. Feels like a pretty unambiguous plot point to me. I can't see Lynch & Frost weaving minor characters from the previous series into these plots....but again, I might be wrong!
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

The sundial from the sheriff's location was removed quite a few years ago.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

IcedOver wrote:Does anyone else, even those who are over the moon on this new series, agree that the next part MUST bring a resolution of some sorts to the blank
Cooper/Dougie deal? We can't have another whole episode with Cooper standing around. The joke has worn thin. It's making me worried for the long-term plot structure of this show.
I think that anyone who's watching Cooper's rebirth and thinking about how inefficient it is from a plotting perspective is missing something very beautiful indeed. This show is emphatically not about efficient plotting.

The story here is about a good and wise and gentle soul that has been abused almost beyond recognition, but which has survived the abuse, having to build itself back up from scratch. That's the story, here! It won't be fast and it won't be easy and that is exactly the point. 25 years ago, Coop faced his demons with imperfect courage and lost. Now, we have the privilege of watching that core of perfection grow from infancy to the point where he can finally face what he couldn't all those years ago.

It's not a joke. There is, of course, a delightful, melancholic absurdity in this infant navigating the banalities of adult life. I think comparisons to Tati are apt--the joke is not on Coop, it's on all the "adults" who are blind to what is in front of them.

Anyway, the real point is that this storyline is not a quick joke before we get to the "real" story--it IS the story.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:So, are we witnessing Alchemy in action?

Looks almost like a face, dunnit?

(Also obvious shades of Dougie becoming a golden ball bearing, of course. And I'll reiterate the connections/potential connections to the Giant putting a glowing golden orb into Coop in Episode 8 and Ronnie Rocket becoming a golden egg, and will add for good measure, Merriwether Lewis in TSHoTP writing about seeing "gold, all gold, the secret deep within the color red..." Red as in "Red Room"?)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:So, are we witnessing Alchemy in action?

Looks almost like a face, dunnit?

(Also obvious shades of Dougie becoming a golden ball bearing, of course. And I'll reiterate the connections/potential connections to the Giant putting a glowing golden orb into Coop in Episode 8 and Ronnie Rocket becoming a golden egg, and will add for good measure, Merriwether Lewis in TSHoTP writing about seeing "gold, all gold, the secret deep within the color red..." Red as in "Red Room"?)
Funny you mention face, because the very first thing it reminded me of was that rather sinister door knocker we see in Part One.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

gladhand wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Cappy wrote:One thing I wonder about the ring found in Maj. Briggs:

Was this ring of the Dougie and Janey-E that we have seen in Season 3, or was it the ring of Doug Milford and of his many wives? Considering Maj. Briggs' relationship with Doug Milford, it sort of makes sense that he would have access to this artifact.

Maybe Doug Milford from Secret History is just a huge red herring, but having read it before watching S3 it's hard not to connect him with the Dougie played by Cooper.
Huh. Interesting point. Also worth noting that Dougie Milford spent much of his life as a directionless hedonistic alcoholic -- much like the real Dougie Jones, apparently -- before finding purpose in government service.
It feels highly improbable to me - the ring was inscribed “to Dougie with love Janey-E" which makes the Dougie we've been watching a suspect, together with Bill. Feels like a pretty unambiguous plot point to me. I can't see Lynch & Frost weaving minor characters from the previous series into these plots....but again, I might be wrong!
I agree completely. But who among us would have predicted that Dougie Milford would be the protagonist in Mark's novel? The reuse of the name for Coop's double-doppel seems more than coincidence -- not just "Doug," but the very uncommon nickname/variant "Dougie." Who the hell knows, though. Maybe Mark and David just really like the name.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

counterpaul wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Does anyone else, even those who are over the moon on this new series, agree that the next part MUST bring a resolution of some sorts to the blank
Cooper/Dougie deal? We can't have another whole episode with Cooper standing around. The joke has worn thin. It's making me worried for the long-term plot structure of this show.
I think that anyone who's watching Cooper's rebirth and thinking about how inefficient it is from a plotting perspective is missing something very beautiful indeed. This show is emphatically not about efficient plotting.

The story here is about a good and wise and gentle soul that has been abused almost beyond recognition, but which has survived the abuse, having to build itself back up from scratch. That's the story, here! It won't be fast and it won't be easy and that is exactly the point. 25 years ago, Coop faced his demons with imperfect courage and lost. Now, we have the privilege of watching that core of perfection grow from infancy to the point where he can finally face what he couldn't all those years ago.

It's not a joke. There is, of course, a delightful, melancholic absurdity in this infant navigating the banalities of adult life. I think comparisons to Tati are apt--the joke is not on Coop, it's on all the "adults" who are blind to what is in front of them.

Anyway, the real point is that this storyline is not a quick joke before we get to the "real" story--it IS the story.
Great point!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

I honestly haven't laughed as much as I did during the Jacoby 'Dr Amp' scene for a long time. Forget Wally Brando, this is the shit.

Woah. Unintentional pun.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes