NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Soolsma »

18 hours binge... for sure! I do LOTR marathons almost yearly, that's 12 hours. I'm sure 18 wouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Soolsma wrote:18 hours binge... for sure! I do LOTR marathons almost yearly, that's 12 hours. I'm sure 18 wouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Really, my brother said after he watched all three extended versions of LOTR at the cinema he nearly was unconscius at the end of The Return of the King. I would like to try to watch all 18 episodes when they're available but it'll probably be too much for me.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I kind of wonder if the initial households watching the premiere were relatively high, but a lot of viewers just bailed on the show very quickly and so were not counted in the Nielsen ratings.

Maybe they just could not get past the initial scenes, 'oh man, this is too weird for me'. Whereas us Peaks/Lynch fans were just having a blast.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

People watch on streaming. Every last person I know that's watching... and it's a good number, are all watching on streaming services. Ratings mean :roll:
:lol:
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Panapaok »

Hockey Mask wrote:The real question is who is going to do the ultimate binge and watch 18 hours straight?
I know I'll try at least.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Laura Palmer's face is pasted over every bus stop in my rural area. So cool! I did not expect this.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm in Rome for vacation and they played the "It is happenning again" teaser on the screens in the Central Train Station. That was pretty cool.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

For those worried about ratings, the slightly good news is that ratings for Sunday ticked up sightly from the previous Sunday from .8 to .10. And at least TP is doing better than I'm Dying Up Here.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

mtwentz wrote:For those worried about ratings, the slightly good news is that ratings for Sunday ticked up sightly from the previous Sunday from .8 to .10. And at least TP is doing better than I'm Dying Up Here.
Thank God. The last thing we need is Dexter to kill again. :lol:
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

It's clear Twin Peaks is polarizing, even more so with the new season. Sure, we can all hope it gains traction and additional fandom, but for what purpose? So us 1/1000 of 1% get what we want? That would be an incredibly bad business decision.

It's certainly my hope the show makes its investment back and Nevins is rewarded, but past that we shouldn't expect anything.

When many of us, maybe even 50% of the original fan base find the show challenging and frustrating at best? Yeah....Good luck with that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

50%? Based off what?

The polls here always show support in the high 80s at least. http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3604

The haters always want to inflate their own perceptions. :roll:

No false narratives please.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:50%? Based off what?

The polls here always show support in the high 80s at least. http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3604

The haters always want to inflate their own perceptions. :roll:

No false narratives please.
Yeah I don't get this.... I've been reading Revival threads all across the Web and generally speaking 85% of the posts I've seen are just people posting thoughtful theories and speculating how all these different puzzle pieces from the original series + FWWM + Revival fit together. For a show to return after a 25+ year hiatus and spark the same type of weekly discussions that I see for shows like Westworld, The Leftovers, etc. is no easy task. Seriously, major kudos to David Lynch. And yes I've seen some negative buzz, but most of the criticisms I've seen on this Revival could be applied to practically any linearly airing TV show on its third season.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Perhaps it's the 50% I'm reading. It's clear it's not seen as wonderful by all. Regardless, I still stand by the remainder of my post. I am a fan. I get fandom, but I cannot believe how precious some are of Twin Peaks. We've had 25+ years to percolate in our own memories and set our own narratives. That's doesn't make it 'so.' Perspective is just that.

We live inside a dream.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the show is very divisive for audiences, period. I think critically it has been surprisingly less so, in part because I think a lot of critics are just stunned speechless and staying open - which is not what I'd expected.

There's non-fan forums I've gone where people either unreservedly love it or absolutely despise it, or there's a mix. I don't think Dugpa is necessarily that different. I also think the balance will depend on where the story goes and how long it takes. I don't think we can put a percentage on it. I am surprised by how much active buzz it has, on par with other big shows.

That being said: If its streaming numbers remain solid and the critical praise continues, and Showtime is still hooked on its critical cachet, I think there's a good shot at another season if Lynch and Frost want to do one. Which is fine by me. I don't really care whether it is servicing the fans so much as servicing itself, and as long as it's doing that well I think it should be allowed another series if it wants one. I don't think it should be chastened.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

That's fair..I'm just hoping it finds cohesion soon. :)

We live inside a dream.