Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Xavi
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by Xavi »

oxyboldine wrote:Hello everyone, French poster here, so I hope my English is correct. I love reading all the reactions and theories on the forum.

- Of course the accident scene made me (and everyone) think of the scene with the One Armed Man in FWWM because of the intersection and the truck. But also it made me think of Al Strobel own near-death experience when he lose his arm for real, in a car accident. I think he tells that story in a bonus in the Blu-Ray. The "light"/fire floating beyond the kid, hesitating, before disapearing in the sky, made me thought of the way he described it.
But that scene makes think about a lot of sad sad things, and I must tell I cried my heart out the two times I saw it. Great great cinema. Thank you David and Mark for that beautiful work.

Yeah, great cinema indeed. What a feast this Season 3 is; every week a brand new present and a new world to explore, which somehow tells everything about our own world and the mystery of time, IMHO.

At that fatal crossroad, loaded with electricity - bad bad vibes, time again stretches and somehow I think it is difficult to grasp that The One Armed Man's "Don't die" was meant for Dougie/Coop.

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

liquidspace wrote:
chromereflectsimage wrote:Has it been speculated as to why the argent 2 lady was targeted and murdered?
the hitmans in red car she hired failed to eliminate Dougie/Coop.

PS: first post, hello to all from Lithuania ;)
Welcome aboard! Longtime lurker?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

liquidspace wrote:
chromereflectsimage wrote:Has it been speculated as to why the argent 2 lady was targeted and murdered?
the hitmans in red car she hired failed to eliminate Dougie/Coop.

PS: first post, hello to all from Lithuania ;)
Hello Lithuania!

I had a bizarre dream last night that Leyland was wandering about outside the lodge again and was connected to Jeffries.

Must eat less cheese!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
liquidspace

Post by liquidspace »

mtwentz wrote:Welcome aboard! Longtime lurker?
since The Return was announced :) Btw: The season 3 is amazing! Its a life changer.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

motorcycleaupairboy wrote:Not sure if I'm reaching here, but I was immediately struck by the layout of the yellow flags during the crime scene/Dougie's car reconstruction scene.
They seem to form a circle around a blob of what would appear to be ''scorched motor oil'' , in a very ''sycamores''/''Glastonbury Grove'' way
I thought that as well actually but just assumed I was over-analysing.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

Xavi wrote:
oxyboldine wrote:Hello everyone, French poster here, so I hope my English is correct. I love reading all the reactions and theories on the forum.

- Of course the accident scene made me (and everyone) think of the scene with the One Armed Man in FWWM because of the intersection and the truck. But also it made me think of Al Strobel own near-death experience when he lose his arm for real, in a car accident. I think he tells that story in a bonus in the Blu-Ray. The "light"/fire floating beyond the kid, hesitating, before disapearing in the sky, made me thought of the way he described it.
But that scene makes think about a lot of sad sad things, and I must tell I cried my heart out the two times I saw it. Great great cinema. Thank you David and Mark for that beautiful work.

Yeah, great cinema indeed. What a feast this Season 3 is; every week a brand new present and a new world to explore, which somehow tells everything about our own world and the mystery of time, IMHO.

At that fatal crossroad, loaded with electricity - bad bad vibes, time again stretches and somehow I think it is difficult to grasp that The One Armed Man's "Don't die" was meant for Dougie/Coop.

Yes, beautiful moment too when TOAM says "Don't Die" to Cooper. Harry Dean Stanton/Carl on his bench, is also a beautiful moment, and it seems that all those scenes convey toward that accident, and maybe that's why that scene is so extraordinary - with the tearful Badalamenti music (the lack of music in the first episodes to create deeper emotion there).
I guess that music and emotions began to appear in episode 5, where Cooper/Dougie cries seing of Sonny Jim in the car (first new music of Badalamenti, also?). What I felt then was that Sonny Jim is a poor orphan and Cooper knows in a way that is father has been taken away, trapped or killed by Bob/Mister C.'s trick. If Cooper awakes, then Dougie is gone for ever.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

Panapaok wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:While I much prefer TMFAP as a character in Twin Peaks I'm happy for Al Strobel who hadn't acted in 16 years and only once in 25 years so kudos to him for getting the spotlight and delivering an awesome performance again.
Yeah, it's kinda amazing when you think about it. This is the biggest role of Strobel's career and he has certainly lived up to it. He deserves it much more than MJA for sure.
Strobel has indeed done an amazing job filling in for MJA. In fact, I do not miss MJA in the show at all because of Strobel's performance. He's actually made the transition seamless and natural for me.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: I'd sure love to read the original script's plans for MfAP, Log Lady, Jeffries, Audrey, etc. in TP:TR, before real-world practicalities changed things. Can we start a petition now for an official script release after the show ends? I'm regretting not mentioning it to Mark when I met him at the signing!
As much as I'd be interested in reading it, I'd hate it if they did this. My knowledge that the evolution of the arm was a workaround because of MJA's effective unavailability made it harder to get behind it as a genuine creative choice.
I totally get where you're coming from. I'm generally incapable of enjoying a film on both a technical/behind-the-scenes level and a purely visceral/in-world level at the same time. While I love behind-the-scenes trivia, it often makes it tougher for me to suspend disbelief on subsequent viewings. However, for whatever reason, I have no problem with this on DKL's works. Maybe it's because DKL does such a beautiful job blending the lines (from Jeffrey/Kyle's "duck walk" in BV to Margaret/Catherine's illness in TP:TR, real and fictional seamlessly blend). I therefore simultaneously can enjoy "the evolution of the Arm" as both in-world mythology AND hysterically meta "recast."

I'm so glad Strobel got more work out of MJA's antics. He seems a terrific guy and deserves it. That said, there was a gravitas to his character on the old show and film that I feel is sorta missing here, through no fault of his own. It's pretty obvious that he's a MfAP fill-in, and I hope he ultimately gets some more dramatic work to do than wandering around the Red Room acting as spirit guide. (I also hope a more sinister side is eventually shown to both Mike and MfAP -- their benign "spirit guide" natures fly in the face of the FWWM characterizations, which I find so intriguing).
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

watergateburglar wrote:
Denise's Pieces wrote:I don't care what anyone says. Ike the Spike's Murderous Theme Song makes me laugh every single time.
what's the name of that track ? i enjoy it too.
It is catchy and makes me laugh. But listening to 4 minutes of it is a different experience.

It is "'I am' Oldschool HipHop Beat" by Bluntedbeatz. https://youtu.be/R4nAvDXpvHk
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I totally get where you're coming from. I'm generally incapable of enjoying a film on both a technical/behind-the-scenes level and a purely visceral/in-world level at the same time. While I love behind-the-scenes trivia, it often makes it tougher for me to suspend disbelief on subsequent viewings. However, for whatever reason, I have no problem with this on DKL's works. Maybe it's because DKL does such a beautiful job blending the lines (from Jeffrey/Kyle's "duck walk" in BV to Margaret/Catherine's illness in TP:TR, real and fictional seamlessly blend). I therefore simultaneously can enjoy "the evolution of the Arm" as both in-world mythology AND hysterically meta "recast."
I haven't read any of the other books and I'm enjoying Season 3 pretty darn well. I notice a lot of people who have read them have a different perspective (not always negative), but more of "that's not the way it happened..." which seems to ruin things. The Tammy thread is one good example.

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I'm so glad Strobel got more work out of MJA's antics. He seems a terrific guy and deserves it. That said, there was a gravitas to his character on the old show and film that I feel is sorta missing here, through no fault of his own. It's pretty obvious that he's a MfAP fill-in, and I hope he ultimately gets some more dramatic work to do than wandering around the Red Room acting as spirit guide. (I also hope a more sinister side is eventually shown to both Mike and MfAP -- their benign "spirit guide" natures fly in the face of the FWWM characterizations, which I find so intriguing).
The poor guy had to do all his lines backwards this time. I'd like to hear his voice forwards just once.
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

krishnanspace wrote:
    crazyscottishguy wrote:
    krishnanspace wrote:Was one of the loan sharks played by Neil Patrick Harris?
    No. That actor also had a role in LOST season 4
    Oh. He looks exactly like Neil Patrick Harris
    It is the kid from E.T!
    -
    As above, so below.
    -
    Judge Giant
    Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Hmmm...
    Attachments
    owl-cave-map.jpg
    owl-cave-map.jpg (170.44 KiB) Viewed 10398 times
    twin-peaks-recap-episode-5-0031-1497301019-640x370.jpg
    twin-peaks-recap-episode-5-0031-1497301019-640x370.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 10398 times
    This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
    Taperecorder
    Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

IcedOver wrote:What's the deal with all the cocaine flowing through this show? It was in the original show, but that was a long time ago. I may be out of touch with what the kids are into today, but hasn't cocaine been superseded by heroin, meth and oxycontin as far as the drugs of choice? I realize that the point of the show isn't to reflect reality, but what is it about cocaine that makes it such a steady presence in this?
    I live in a small town right outside of a big city. I can say that empty blue baggies abound in the bathroom stalls of various bars/venues in both places. I think kids these days are seeing cocaine as a relatively 'safe bet' in the days of meth and oxycotin.
    -
    As above, so below.
    -
    Maddy
    Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

I have to be honest, I was pretty bored with this episode and thought it the worst of the series so far..I did not like the hit and run accident or the murder scene with the little guy. Richard Horne is an asshole I think. I did like however Laura Dern as Diane, the scene with Albert in the rain and it was great to see Carl Rodd back. I don't like Frank's wife either she is clearly an abusive woman and needs to be taken down a peg or two.
    The Angels will return...
    asquideatingdough
    Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

Maddy wrote:I have to be honest, I was pretty bored with this episode and thought it the worst of the series so far..I did not like the hit and run accident or the murder scene with the little guy. Richard Horne is an asshole I think. I did like however Laura Dern as Diane, the scene with Albert in the rain and it was great to see Carl Rodd back. I don't like Frank's wife either she is clearly an abusive woman and needs to be taken down a peg or two.
    Did you catch the part where Frank's son who had been in the war committed suicide? This explains Frank's wife's behavior. Super sad.