Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 6 - Don't die (SPOILERS)

Post by baxter »

Really getting excited now, am totally loving the anticipation of each episode.

mtwentz- you are quite right about trying not to impose expectations. Easier said than done though!
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

sylvia_north wrote:
marcus_w_ wrote:I heard in a Podcast that someone had zoomed in the "Diary pages" Hawk finds in the toilet-scene. And that it said something about Annie... Anyone who have seen that zoomed picture?
The only words legible say "I keep going over in my mind… Oh Annie". According to Reddit.
Again... Wrong.
It's not capital "O" before "Annie", It's a part of letter "g" from line above.
It's not "I keep" but "(...)d keep".

Someting like that:

"(...)d keep (going/ring) miss it (was)
(...)my (?) thing to
(...) (h)and (?) Annie."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

baxter wrote:Really getting excited now, am totally loving the anticipation of each episode.

mtwentz- you are quite right about trying not to impose expectations. Easier said than done though!
My personal belief is that since it's the Father's Day episode, we are going to spend a lot of time with Dougie learning to be a good dad to Sonny Jim.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

qbin2001 wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
marcus_w_ wrote:I heard in a Podcast that someone had zoomed in the "Diary pages" Hawk finds in the toilet-scene. And that it said something about Annie... Anyone who have seen that zoomed picture?
The only words legible say "I keep going over in my mind… Oh Annie". According to Reddit.
Again... Wrong.

Someting like that:

(...)my (?) thing to
(...) (h)and (?) Annie."
I'm going with this:

"I keep going over it in my mind, trying to understand, Annie,"

It could be "head" instead of "mind". That word isn't visible, but is inferred by the words that are (thought to be) around it.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I really hope Hawk will narrate the pages today.

I feel that things are about to turn super intense.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Jasper wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
Again... Wrong.

Someting like that:

(...)my (?) thing to
(...) (h)and (?) Annie."
I'm going with this:

It could be "head" instead of "mind". That word isn't visible, but is inferred by the words that are (thought to be) around it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... room_door/ Here's a better image.

I bet you're wrong too Jasper. I'm not even convinced it says Annie

Or that it's from the diary
Last edited by sylvia_north on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Spoiler:
Soolsma wrote:I really hope Hawk will narrate the pages today.

I feel that things are about to turn super intense.
I also want an explanation on how it got over there
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sylvia_north wrote:I bet you're wrong too Jasper. I'm not even convinced it says Annie
I was in the camp that thought there was a good chance Annie would only receive a passing mention if even that. But having seen the screenshot, I'm 100% sure that's her name on there.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:I bet you're wrong too Jasper. I'm not even convinced it says Annie
I was in the camp that thought there was a good chance Annie would only receive a passing mention if even that. But having seen the screenshot, I'm 100% sure that's her name on there.
Based on what? Annie was such a significant part of how the last season unfolded. Frost made such a big deal about her not appearing in the (first) dossier but hinted to wait for the final dossier to find out. If some version of Cooper does not bring her up I'd be shocked as hell. She was the last person with the ring before Dougie
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Jasper wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
Again... Wrong.

Someting like that:

(...)my (?) thing to
(...) (h)and (?) Annie."
I'm going with this:

Hawk's hand covers part of this page.
keep.png
keep.png (494.75 KiB) Viewed 10405 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sylvia_north wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Iwas in the camp that thought there was a good chance Annie would only receive a passing mention if even that. But having seen the screenshot, I'm 100% sure that's her name on there.
Based on what? Annie was such a significant part of how the last season unfolded. Frost made such a big deal about her not appearing in the (first) dossier but hinted to wait for the final dossier to find out. If some version Cooper does not bring her up I'd be shocked as hell. She was the last person with the ring before Dougie
I just think, 25 years down the line, a lot of characters/events that seemed super important in 1991 aren't going to be so anymore. These characters have lived whole lives since then. And Annie was obviously conceived as a "damsel in distress" narrative device for season 2 to reveal layers of Coop's character, a function she fulfilled. As much as I love Graham and want to see her work with DKL again as a more mature performer, I don't feel any particular need to see Annie the character. A line of dialogue that she was killed by DoppelCoop (a la Briggs), and our Coop coming to terms with that, would be fine. (No mention whatsoever would admittedly be a bit odd...but again, 25 years have passed and both versions of Coop have a whole lot more on their minds than a fling that lasted for a few days a quarter-century ago. Annie could have moved to Canada, gone back to the convent, or stayed in TP and we simply don't see/hear about her.)

I'm still highly suspicious that many of Mark's errors/retcons in the book were anything other than faulty memory/failure to fact-check his own show. Time will tell, obviously, but I'm not putting too much weight into his cryptic comments.

And the nurse was the last person with the ring, not Annie. (Honestly, I'd much rather see that character again than Annie. Who the hell was she?!?!)

The counterargument to all this is that DKL deliberately wove Annie into FWWM, has expressed interest in revisiting the "write it in your diary" moment....and we now have a piece of paper that pretty clearly seems to have Annie's name on it. In spite of my prior indifference to seeing her again, I'm very excited to see how this plays out! (And as I said, I love Heather Graham!)
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:And the nurse was the last person with the ring, not Annie. (Honestly, I'd much rather see that character again than Annie. Who the hell was she?!?!)
I'm calling Linda!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

If there is any logic to all of this material that we are getting, then Annie must play a role. I mean, Annie was in the lodge with Cooper and Earle! That is why we still see Leland and Laura, isn't it? The argument that we cannot see her because she is dead does not really hold up. She could too say "I am dead and yet I live", why not? The only way we do not see her if she is missing and nobody knows where she is.

If she is never mentioned or merely brushed aside, then it would be really lame. We had been stuck with that Coop mirror image for 25 years, and all we get is a "Who's Annie?" Could they really do that?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

boske wrote:If there is any logic to all of this material that we are getting, then Annie must play a role. I mean, Annie was in the lodge with Cooper and Earle! That is why we still see Leland and Laura, isn't it? The argument that we cannot see her because she is dead does not really hold up. She could too say "I am dead and yet I live", why not? The only way we do not see her if she is missing and nobody knows where she is.

If she is never mentioned or merely brushed aside, then it would be really lame. We had been stuck with that Coop mirror image for 25 years, and all we get is a "Who's Annie?" Could they really do that?
She left the lodge. Her body is outside with DoppelCoop's in Episode 29 in the woods, and TMP shows her in the hospital. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that she recovered and moved on with her life after Coop disappeared. DKL could certainly do all sorts of interesting things with the character, but it doesn't feel like there's unifinished business that makes it NECESSARY to see the character.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
boske wrote:If there is any logic to all of this material that we are getting, then Annie must play a role. I mean, Annie was in the lodge with Cooper and Earle! That is why we still see Leland and Laura, isn't it? The argument that we cannot see her because she is dead does not really hold up. She could too say "I am dead and yet I live", why not? The only way we do not see her if she is missing and nobody knows where she is.

She left the lodge. Her body is outside with DoppelCoop's in Episode 29 in the woods, and TMP shows her in his hospital. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that she recovered and moved on with her life.
I also wouldn't find it hard to believe that either:

1) DoppelCoop killed her to keep her silent.

or

2) She went into hiding, perhaps protected by someone linked to Major Briggs.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly