Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Low Entropy »

This is something I have not seen addressed here (maybe I haven't loooked deep enough): what will be the topic of season 3? Beyond what we have seen so far, I mean. We're only just by the first third of the series. We could be in for some more surprises.
I think most of us agree that the main themes would be Cooper's return to his old self. And possibly the redemption of Laura Palmer. But could there be more?
The original series had the threat of world domination by Earle sitting on his throne in black lodge. Something he failed at. I would be completey happy if season 3 is just about the redemption of two souls, but i think Lynch and Frost (again) have something else in store for us. Especially since we had the spoiler that
Spoiler:
a nuclear explosion will happen somewhen in the series.
It could be that Bad Coop doesn't just want to retain his self in the real world. But that he too aims at world domination or world destruction with the help of the lodges. The card he showed, the search for "coordinates" and other things we know of him could hint at that. We will see.
Willstacey88

Post by Willstacey88 »

Hi there, long time reader, first time poster.

Great forum and great way to pass the time between episodes. I recently rewatched everything up to new episodes so my girlfriend could experience TP, and noticed a few things that I thought were curious. Forgive me if others have posted and I've missed these already :

The black and white scene with the giant. Is this the "true" waiting room? Being both black and white at the same time, does it contain an equal mix of both lodges, therefore being the real midpoint?

Also, same scene, after watching FWWM, is this room with Coop and the giant the same as the painting that Mrs Chalfont/Tremond gives Laura? I know we don't see it for long and it's in colour in the film but it seems familiar to me.

Again, sorry if this isn't new :)
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

hmmm... apart from reading about it, I didn't connect those dots together yet it seems.
Spoiler:
will the nuclear explosion make the good Cooper "complete" again?
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

Low Entropy wrote:This is something I have not seen addressed here (maybe I haven't loooked deep enough): what will be the topic of season 3? Beyond what we have seen so far, I mean. We're only just by the first third of the series. We could be in for some more surprises.
I think most of us agree that the main themes would be Cooper's return to his old self. And possibly the redemption of Laura Palmer. But could there be more?
The original series had the threat of world domination by Earle sitting on his throne in black lodge. Something he failed at. I would be completey happy if season 3 is just about the redemption of two souls, but i think Lynch and Frost (again) have something else in store for us. Especially since we had the spoiler that
Spoiler:
a nuclear explosion will happen somewhen in the series.
It could be that Bad Coop doesn't just want to retain his self in the real world. But that he too aims at world domination or world destruction with the help of the lodges. The card he showed, the search for "coordinates" and other things we know of him could hint at that. We will see.
Spoiler:
Was the wording we got that a nuclear blast occurs or that we will see a nuclear blast? Maybe the reference was just to the photo behind Cole's desk.
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

sylviecerise wrote:
Spoiler:
Was the wording we got that a nuclear blast occurs or that we will see a nuclear blast? Maybe the reference was just to the photo behind Cole's desk.
Spoiler:
I haven't seen the original spoiler you guys are referring to, but I don't really see how something like that could actually happen "in-universe",
so to speak. I think it's more likely the picture in Cole's office.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

How about
Spoiler:
a nuclear TEST out in the desert where "Dougie" lives?
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

to my best memory, the spoiler was that
Spoiler:
a nuclear explosion happens in the series.
but i have to agree, when i saw
Spoiler:
the picture of the nuclear blast i too thought that maybe that was just what was meant. or the painting foreshadows the nuclear explosion already...
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

This is what I found searching the forum (not written by me):
Spoiler:
A few things: In the book, the nuclear plant near Twin Peaks is mentioned several times and seems to be tied to the supernatural. With it being rumored that the new season involves a nuclear explosion what do you think this could mean? Could this be Dopple-Coop or another Lodge inhabitant trying to "bridge the two worlds" so to speak?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

So, those guys are obviously different. Any theories?
Attachments
g7sqFUg.jpg
g7sqFUg.jpg (135.44 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

I think Miriam will be next murdered person since she saw the hit'n run Richard in action
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Panapaok wrote:So, those guys are obviously different. Any theories?
You need to warn a guy when you post those pictures. Scared the hell out of me. :)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Here's my theory about the story of Twin Peaks.

Currently, the major conflict is between agents of the Black Lodge who are battling for control of it. One or both sides also plan to control/destroy the White Lodge so they can cement their power within our world and the various dimensions.

Cooper and Laura (and others) factor into this as being sensitives who can help tip the balance between the lodges in either direction. Now that they have both spent years in the lodge, their abilities have grown and they just need to rediscover themselves again in order to do their part.

Another perhaps related theory:
Spoiler:
those rumors of a nuclear explosion and it perhaps taking place at a nuclear plant in Twin Peaks --
would Lynch and Frost destroy Twin Peaks in order to defeat the Black Lodge?

This would be a bit like destroying Sunnydale in the final Episode of Buffy.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

Hello folks, first time poster here :)

I have to say I like the theory about Jeffries being an AI or something. It would go nicely with the electricity theme.
Lorraine sending the text "2" and the black box beeping and blinking leds twice, the red square on Todd's screen which is clearly a signal for starting the hit plan on Lorraine and Dougie/Coop, and Mr C's phone shenanigans in the prison (has to be some hacking done there).
We haven't seen a human being at the other end of these communications.

Also think Mr C / Jeffries might be behind the glass box experiment, but I have no idea of it's purpose :D

I think we will never hear about Joe McCluskey or Mr. Strawberry again. I'll assume it is some dark secret from the warden's past, possibly Mr C's doing (framing the warden? Was Mr. C's plan just to get Ray out from the prison? I got the feeling the Strawberry thing was an older thing not so recent).

What I have been wondering is, if Cooper "wakes up" in the next couple of episodes, what will be his quest?
Obviously he's going back to TP at some point, but for what? There isn't going to be a "simple" murder mystery here, this stuff is way too blue rose for that.
Maybe some cat & mouse play with Mr C, revolving around the lodges and Mr. C's "plan" whatever that is.

My guess is
-Mr C will get coordinates
-Ray will die
-Mr C meets with Chantal and whoever was the guy who they were supposed to be with (for what I don't know)
-Coordinates point somewhere near TP
-Army guy calls FBI, Cole & co go to Buckhorn
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Here's my theory about the story of Twin Peaks.

Currently, the major conflict is between agents of the Black Lodge who are battling for control of it. One or both sides also plan to control/destroy the White Lodge so they can cement their power within our world and the various dimensions.

Cooper and Laura (and others) factor into this as being sensitives who can help tip the balance between the lodges in either direction. Now that they have both spent years in the lodge, their abilities have grown and they just need to rediscover themselves again in order to do their part.

Another perhaps related theory:
Spoiler:
those rumors of a nuclear explosion and it perhaps taking place at a nuclear plant in Twin Peaks --
would Lynch and Frost destroy Twin Peaks in order to defeat the Black Lodge?

This would be a bit like destroying Sunnydale in the final Episode of Buffy.
Spoiler:
Seriously seeing Twin Peaks annihilated would be absolutely heartbreaking. I thought something like that could happen, even before the return announcement. Twin Peaks destroyed would be an insufferable sight and I'm not sure if I could stand it. It would be as hard as seeing a real place disappearing in flames.
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

it's indeed uncanny that
Spoiler:
there are both rumors about a nuclear explosion and the nuclear power plant playing a role.
both could indeed be connected.
but it fits to the idea that Lynch has a large thing happening in store for us. my guess is it could be even larger. i'm almost certain now that we won't just see the return of dale and laura (as the "main" focus) as the series progresses. more important events (to the world) could await us.