Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

The book creates more mysteries than it explains, it's a huge exercise in misdirection with history and conspiracy that actively involves the serious detail oriented fans.

There are about 50 inconsistencies that are very obvious and deliberate. But if you weren't a close watcher of the show you're not going to notice.

So that journalist outed themselves as not very much of a twin peaks fan so that book was not for them.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

I would also argue that just because there are several characters who *believe* they are dealing with extra-terrestrials, doesn't mean that's really what is happening. They were convinced that they had an "alien" in captivity in that lab that President Nixon takes Douglas Milford to, but it also greatly resembles the gray entity in the glass box in Season 3. I think that review is pretty much garbage from someone who barely understood the TV show, let alone a complex meta-textual epistolary novel like Secret History of Twin Peaks.

If you are a fan, I honestly don't understand why you *wouldn't* want to read it. Mark Frost says it's canon, so I believe it's canon. Pretty simple. The mistakes and omissions are "in-character" interpretations by subjective individuals. If nothing else, it expands the world a little bit more into the canvas we have seen in Season 3.
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:Thanks to all who replied to my question, I'm now inclined to believe the review was a hatchet job, but I'm still not sure if it's for me.
Leacock wrote: one of the issues the reviewer seems to take most exception to is the extraterrestrial concerns but that was clearly established back in season 2.
I don't see any extraterrestrial link as being clearly established in s2, other than that Project Blue Book were (at least initially) looking for them... I would then ask if that's the extent of the alien link in the book, but since I'll probably end up reading it one day, I'll save myself the spoiler.
Leacock wrote:Really I think the problem is that the reviewer took it all at face value, and you aren't supposed to, most of the content of the book isn't really true in the sense of the series, it is just people trying to make sense of the unknowable.
Ah, so are these conspiracies and explanations presented as speculation? That changes things... one of the main obstacles I have is hating idea of it boiling down to "it was aliens/Native American spirits/satanists wot done it", or it being reduced to some sort of run of the mill x-files conspiracy. I guess I should just read the book and then judge. As long as the actual new series continues not to disappoint, then I doubt not liking this book would cheapen it.
Without spoiling anything, the book never says it was aliens, or Indian ghosts or whatever that is responsible. It presents a great many possible explanations, one of the most extensively advanced being the aliens (a fair bit of the dossier is related to Project Blue Book's investigations) but although it offers a wealth of information about Twin Peaks and the mythology it needs to be read throughout with a very critical eye. The book was compiled by someone for a specific purpose, who only had limited information after all.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Leacock wrote:
Without spoiling anything, the book never says it was aliens, or Indian ghosts or whatever that is responsible. It presents a great many possible explanations, one of the most extensively advanced being the aliens (a fair bit of the dossier is related to Project Blue Book's investigations) but although it offers a wealth of information about Twin Peaks and the mythology it needs to be read throughout with a very critical eye. The book was compiled by someone for a specific purpose, who only had limited information after all.
That was my point too. Doug Milford in his journals talks about two sets of what he calls "aliens" but they also resemble things we've seen in the original show. One faction is neutral and he describes them as "Nordic" types. I took this to mean they resembled the Giant. The other group were the "Grays" which were aggressive and dangerous. I took this to mean they were the killers like Bob and that thing in the glass box.

Some other things from the book that echo in the new series: Frank Truman was in Vietnam in the Green Berets and took over as Sheriff in Twin Peaks when Frederick Truman (Frank and Harry's father) retired. It then says that Harry in turn took over in 1981 when Frank moved to Western Washington so they could be near his wife's family. That's why he's somewhat unfamiliar with the goings-on in the town during the "Laura Palmer" era in the new series. We don't know when specifically he returned to town (maybe we'll find out in October when the Final Dossier is released), but he seems to have been gone for a number of years.

Frank was one of the Bookhouse Boys and played on the same football team with Hawk, Big Ed, Hank Jennings, Harry Truman, Jerry Horne, and Toad. To me that means he should be somewhat familiar with the "evil" in the woods around Twin Peaks. It sounds like Frank and Harry's father was one of the founders of the modern Bookhouse Boys.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Does anyone else think that Jerry might have been abducted ?
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Thanks all, you've sold me, I'll definitely give it a read at some point.
Andy

Post by Andy »

FWIW: the Kenneth Arnold sighting was 70 years ago this week...
Attachments
Chicago_Sun_1947-06-26-2_Flying_Saucer_headline-th.jpg
Chicago_Sun_1947-06-26-2_Flying_Saucer_headline-th.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 11969 times
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

One other connection I just remembered: When Dr. Jacoby is off living with the tribe and they give them their ritualistic hallucinogen, he sees spirits, that he describes as either demonic or angelic. He then mentions that one is "much taller than the others" so I took that to mean it was the giant.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

The concept of the grey's being transdimensional vessels for spirits to serve as the Watchers (masked as owls of course). The being that appeared in the glass box is apparently one of these referred to by American Girl as "mother"... (mothership=the control center for the black lodge perhaps?)

I kind of looked at the convenience store scene in FWWM sort of like spiritual beings descending to a lower physical plane of being. The watchers are separate from this but involved in some way.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Jacoby not being a doctor anymore.
But he's still credited as "Dr. Lawrence Jacoby"! Is it possible his psychiatry license was revoked but he'a still technically an MD?

I wonder how Mark's reveal of Frank Truman, hints at Briggs's fate, etc. in the book meshed with the NDA. I guess tie-in materials fall into the same santion-free zone as promos?
In the same vein as Coop still being credited as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" I suppose? It's curious because the credits are otherwise very careful about updating character details ("Lucy Brennan") and eliding spoilers ("??????", "Shelly")...
Kyle is credited only with "Starring Kyle MacLachlan". No character given.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Dom834 wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
But he's still credited as "Dr. Lawrence Jacoby"! Is it possible his psychiatry license was revoked but he'a still technically an MD?

I wonder how Mark's reveal of Frank Truman, hints at Briggs's fate, etc. in the book meshed with the NDA. I guess tie-in materials fall into the same santion-free zone as promos?
In the same vein as Coop still being credited as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" I suppose? It's curious because the credits are otherwise very careful about updating character details ("Lucy Brennan") and eliding spoilers ("??????", "Shelly")...
Kyle is credited only with "Starring Kyle MacLachlan". No character given.
In the credits, yes. But in official Showtime materials that explicitly refer to TPTR, like teasers, they still refer to him as Special Agent Dale Cooper...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Well, the Manhattan project.

Allegedly, there was a golem or demon child irradiated in the Manhattan Project, Doug Milford was there.

"American author Michael Hoffman in his book Secret Societies & Psychological Warfare speculates that the golem foetus may have been placed inside a giant twenty-five-foot long, twelve-foot in diameter canister which was photographed at the Los Alamos atomic bomb test range. This mysterious canister was nicknamed Jumbo. It was made of solid lead and cement. It is conceivable that the foetus was placed in the centre of the canister, and then irradiated with the blast of the world’s first atomic bomb, thus infusing the demon child with what Kabbalists call the demonic force of the atomic fire. (Atomic & Nuclear & Bohemian Grove & Golem)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YJByOmtz0 - more Babalon working stuff, discussed in the Jack Parsons part of the book
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

https://vigilantcitizen.com/hidden-know ... n-history/

"Helena Blavatsky and Alice Bailey, the two main figures associated with Theosophy, have both considered Sirius to be a source esoteric power. Blavatsky stated that the star Sirius exerts a mystic and direct influence over the entire living heaven and is linked with every great religion of antiquity. Alice Bailey sees the Dog Star as the true “Great White Lodge” and believes it to be the home of the “Spiritual Hierarchy”. For this reason she considers Sirius as the “star of initiation”."

http://theosophy.ph/encyclo/index.php?t ... smogenesis <Here is Helen Blavatsky's description of the beginning of the universe- the key historical figures in the Jack Parsons/Crowley/Manhattan project era of were ex-theosophists or dabblers who borrowed its occult ideas for their practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sirius_Mystery -- goes along with a lot of Graham Hancock Magicians of the Gods ancient aliens/Atlanteans type stuff, that has parallels in the apocryphal book of enoch and the bible, ie who were the Watchers? Angels, who brought knowledge of advanced technology and the use of metals, that mated with man and had a giant race (the Nephilim.)

Later in STHOTP (the Nixon chapter?,) it's discussed that the grays offer their tech in exchange for "genetic material," but the aliens (giants?) they attempted to negotiate with wanted them to stop atomic weaponry development.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.37.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.37.00 PM.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 11729 times
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Would like to note that Mark Frost is very familiar with Helena Blavatsky and she shows up as a character in his novel The List of Seven.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

12/31/46 - manhattan project
1/1/46-1/3/46 - jack parsons occult experiments
6/24/47 - 1st UFO sightings by kenneth arnold near Mt Rainier and Maury Island Incident (Doug Milford was the first "man in black" before returning to Twin Peaks to explore supernatural phenomena)

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1011593/pg1

p 78 Doug Milford air force service transferred to White Sands Missile Range in 1945, Preston confirms and mentions the A bomb site
p 120 Maury Island incident section- Briggs refers to Crissman's involvement in Project Paperclip, where ex-Nazis worked on US aviation, and White Sands and Milford's "man in black" style silencing of Maury Island eyewitnesses.
p 121 Preston wonders if the saucers seen by Arnold and others actually saw experimental US crafts from White Sands (NM) and Hanford (WA) dumping nuclear waste in Puget Sound, and brings up other UFO sightings near Hanford "as early as 1945"