DAVID LYNCH DECODED--INLAND EMPIRE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jina
Roadhouse Member

Re: DAVID LYNCH DECODED--INLAND EMPIRE

Post by jina »

yes, i see what you're saying. artistically there are similarities to all these.

the difference is certainly that this was made with digital.
somehow, it makes it more... real?
digital gives something to this that you don't see in any other lynch films and that's great.
for instance if you see the red room in twin peaks and the rabbit room you can see the difference.
digital gives it a different sense which i' m not sure i can explain.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

I think that like any artist, DL has his favorite things. Some people try to find narrative meaning in Lynch's use of colors. There is a lot of green in this one for example, the coffee cup, Visitor #1's dress, the carpet, two outfits worn by Nikki as Sue, etc. I don't get into much of that, but the colors are definitely the way he wants them.

As far as the digital, maybe what you notice is the control he has over the look of things, the way colors and lights change etc. I think the movie suffered from the lack of detail etc., but next time he will work with better equipment. I think one of the main things he wanted to do here was to use equipment that many people could afford to buy, then do the camera work himself along with the editing and the distribution. A way of showing what any of us could do and encouraging people.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

it is indeed very encouraging to see what somebody could do with just a simple cam, but still that can't be the only reason he used this kind of equipment.

i haven't study film to know/ i just see that there's a different sense in digital.
i mean, lack of detail, has some purpose.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:But it is specifically Zydowicsz for a reason.
Yes, so that the viewer can conclude like "Zydowicsz? What could have something to do with such a name? I will look if I can find an idea in the reality field. Oh, yes, the European making of a movie could have something to do with such a name.".
He smiles when he is saying it, almost teasing her, making a joke.
But in the end his face expression is like "I really have thought that you can speak some Polish. It`s problematic that you don`t speak it. And that`s independent from the presence of the other persons.".
I meant that in one Dern is in the rabbit room listening to the applause and not caring and in the other one is the one we see when she completes the turning of her head where Visitor #1 was pointing and sees herself sitting alone in a light blue dress on the couch in her palace.
I meant that, too.
I think it means the same as belauschen http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?la ... =&comment=
Ah, I see. Thank you. I thought it means überhören.
I don't know what you mean. Why wouldn't anyone be able to leave? I see no evidence of it.
Yes, of course not. It seems that Mr. K and his room represents an evidence-free area. One cannot know. The possibility is there.
There is a deleted scene before that; I saw the script for it somewhere on line.
And do you know where that script came from? The Japanese one seems to contain several mistakes and I can`t imagine that it contains deleted scenes. Ok, a lot of people could say that they have a script of deleted scenes. But it seems that you hold that one you saw for valid. I would like to see a script from IE. Already one without deleted scenes would be very interesting.
We hear it pronounced at the beginning so those x's seem to be letters, not algebraic variables.
I can`t remember that. Where exactly is that?
That scene seems very important to me because Lanni and Lori are there and the same age as in Hollywood in 2001.
Maybe they are guardian angels for Lost Girl/"Nikki". But that would probably mean that they are "cynical" ones. Perhaps if such are busy with a game, something bad happens to "Sue" (like cutting in her hand while washing dishes).
But it does look like maybe 1939 (though I've never seen Poland).
I think the car that drives past and Lost Girl`s costume could be from 1939, although I`m not sure.
I don't know why you think that but I don't agree; I think the point is that Nikki has some free will to exercise.
Obviously there`s something that has bad consequences. That bad consequences follow from that something seems to be law. So that is it? It seems that Visitor 1 has something new: the magic that will break the law. Through that that she gets the role her whole following life is determined in a certain way.
But why a niece? Whose niece? Who would her aunt or uncle be?
Kingsley seems to know it. Maybe the aunt is the one in front of the fire.
OK, but I don't care who let the phantom in. I don't see a reason to care very much.
It seems that the phantom is in the near of room 4 7. (btw - Does that mean that he wasn`t in the movie 4 7. Or that he already was in room 4 7)? And what would happen to the rabbits, when he would enter room 4 7? Maybe that wouldn`t be good for the rabbits at all. Maybe they know the current position of the phantom and they want to know how it could came to such a danger, because with knowing reasons for dangers one can prevent such in the future.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:It's the same color of the hand rails of Winkies in Mulholland Dr. and Lynch is fond of the movie, Wizard of Oz.
Do you know who the director of that Wizard of Oz is?
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

According to imdb, Victor Fleming. He has quite a list of movies.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Thank you for that information, applesnoranges!
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

MichaelPW wrote:Yes, so that the viewer can conclude like "Zydowicsz? What could have something to do with such a name? I will look if I can find an idea in the reality field. Oh, yes, the European making of a movie could have something to do with such a name.".
Making what movie? Who would be the first person named Zydowicz that you would think of in connection with this movie? Marek. This is a reflection, but if there is even the smallest story line connected with the idea of Nikki or Laura meeting someone from the 4 7 movie, I can't imagine what it would be. It seems "unthinkable" to me. Maybe you would like to go to the city? :wink:
But in the end his face expression is like "I really have thought that you can speak some Polish. It`s problematic that you don`t speak it. And that`s independent from the presence of the other persons.".
He just wishes that she spoke more Polish and so do they.
Ah, I see. Thank you. I thought it means überhören.
Oh, yes, OK, literally it would seem to be the same but not really. There are many words like this between French and English which seem to mean one thing but really mean another. The French call these words, faux amis.
There is a deleted scene before that; I saw the script for it somewhere on line.
And do you know where that script came from?
I don't. I wish I had taken note of it. I don't even remember that it was a script. It was just a scene, but I don't remember seeing it, I don't remember seeing the room and who was in it, so I am guessing that I read it. But it was a slow introduction to that part of the film. The producer was saying something like, "I thought the best way for us to begin working together would be to call us all together so that we all have a chance to meet and talk to each other." Etc. I am almost completely sure that it was not something I dreamed; it seems to be something I saw in some form. But it must have been from some youtube thing; maybe it was only sound. I don't know.
We hear it pronounced at the beginning so those x's seem to be letters, not algebraic variables.
I can`t remember that. Where exactly is that?
The very first thing that we hear is the voice from the record: "Axxon N, the longest running radio show, continuing tonight in the Baltic region."
That scene seems very important to me because Lanni and Lori are there and the same age as in Hollywood in 2001.
Maybe they are guardian angels for Lost Girl/"Nikki". But that would probably mean that they are "cynical" ones. Perhaps if such are busy with a game, something bad happens to "Sue" (like cutting in her hand while washing dishes).
An interesting idea. Imperfect angels. Everywhere except at the end they seem to be having a pretty good time. Yes, they are like someone to keep her company. Dern said she thought that they represented her character's thoughts; she said she doesn't know what David thinks, but that is how she played it.
I think the car that drives past and Lost Girl`s costume could be from 1939, although I`m not sure.
It could be. About 1940 cars began to become more aerodynamic"”the Chevrolet looked something like a Volkswagen; in the 1930s they were more square with sharper corners.
Obviously there`s something that has bad consequences. That bad consequences follow from that something seems to be law. So that is it? It seems that Visitor 1 has something new: the magic that will break the law. Through that that she gets the role her whole following life is determined in a certain way.
OK, I see what you mean. It's like the lucky watches.
Kingsley seems to know it. Maybe the aunt is the one in front of the fire.
I keep thinking of Fire Walk With Me where Cole says "She's my mother's sister's girl.", then Desmond explains to the other guy (Sam?), "Who is missing from that sentence? The uncle!" Sam nods but in fact what he said means nothing at all. My mother's sister's girl would be my cousin. It seems to be some strange puzzle like that. Someone is watching Kingsley making the movie and asking questions about it, as if he has hired someone from the 4 7 movie as an advisor. But whose niece is just not stated.
It seems that the phantom is in the near of room 4 7. (btw - Does that mean that he wasn`t in the movie 4 7. Or that he already was in room 4 7)?
I don't know but it's a good question. It seems to be what he wants entrance to though from the start.
And what would happen to the rabbits, when he would enter room 4 7? Maybe that wouldn`t be good for the rabbits at all. Maybe they know the current position of the phantom and they want to know how it could came to such a danger, because with knowing reasons for dangers one can prevent such in the future.
OK, but I think that Janek is working with the rabbits. He's the one who brought the man to Lost Girl when she asked.

btw: It is interesting that when the phantom enters the rabbit warren he walks right past Smithy's House but does not even go to look at it. He doesn't care about it so he probably doesn't know what it is. He doesn't know that the magic gun which will shoot him was hidden there. He only wants into the room 4 7. So he must be the curse of the 4 7 movie.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

applesnoranges wrote:Making what movie? Who would be the first person named Zydowicz that you would think of in connection with this movie?
Zydowicz is the best hint for thinking "those people could have something to do with the making of an European movie". And where do we have an European movie within IE?! We have it with 4 7.
This is a reflection, but if there is even the smallest story line connected with the idea of Nikki or Laura meeting someone from the 4 7 movie, I can't imagine what it would be.
It seems that Piotrek sees somehow Lost Girl in Nikki. And already we probably have a connection to 4 7.
And I don`t know why he wishes that. He seems to be the most powerful man around in a city like Hollywood or in Hollywood. What would he have to do with Poland? Maybe it is a fantasy of the monolog woman to have a husband who easily could get in contact with people having to do with strange famous movies.
It was just a scene, but I don't remember seeing it, I don't remember seeing the room and who was in it, so I am guessing that I read it.
"Anybody" could invent an additional Inland Empire scene. But you really seem to be convinced that it was/is valid.
The very first thing that we hear is the voice from the record: "Axxon N, the longest running radio show, continuing tonight in the Baltic region."
I never noticed that. And I like to watch Inland Empire with German subtitles. So it could be that it is not in those subtitles.
Dern said she thought that they represented her character's thoughts; she said she doesn't know what David thinks, but that is how she played it.
Primarily I think that, too. Maybe it is a feature of guardian angels that they speak corresponding thoughts. There are really some hints that they are such angels. It seems that they don`t get older as we see in the Polish/US scenes with the curly haired woman.
I keep thinking of Fire Walk With Me where Cole says "She's my mother's sister's girl.", then Desmond explains to the other guy (Sam?), "Who is missing from that sentence?
I saw FWWM only one time so far in a cinema, but I plan to change that in the near future. Can remember that sentence very "darkly".
Someone is watching Kingsley making the movie and asking questions about it, as if he has hired someone from the 4 7 movie as an advisor.
And it seems that Kingsley tells him or her something intendently. Somehow it`s a certain story. Nikki`s eyes build a connection between "ancient" and "Smithy", so that the result could be "ancient Smithy". She`s interestingly "masked". I don`t have an idea where she could be within OHIBT with that mask.
btw: It is interesting that when the phantom enters the rabbit warren he walks right past Smithy's House but does not even go to look at it. He doesn't care about it so he probably doesn't know what it is. He doesn't know that the magic gun which will shoot him was hidden there. He only wants into the room 4 7. So he must be the curse of the 4 7 movie.
I haven`t a special idea what the symbolic mean of the floor is. We have a scene in which the camera obviously shoots over it with high velocity. Isn`t the left entrance something completely new? Maybe the phantom already knows Smithie`s house very well.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

MichaelPW wrote:It seems that Piotrek sees somehow Lost Girl in Nikki. And already we probably have a connection to 4 7.
OK, then, what is the story?

btw: I thought of a different way of seeing it. I have been seeing that the plan was to lure the phantom to the American movie (where he seems to be seeking entrance already) and then Nikki can get the gun and free Lost Girl. But ... it seems that the phantom is very happy when he is shot and Nikki is stuck in the rabbit room listening to the recorded applause. She is now something like Lost Girl stuck in the hotel.
And I don`t know why he wishes that. He seems to be the most powerful man around in a city like Hollywood or in Hollywood. What would he have to do with Poland? Maybe it is a fantasy of the monolog woman to have a husband who easily could get in contact with people having to do with strange famous movies.
I think the movie is complicated enough already. It seems very simple that if this Polish-American man wants to marry someone with some Polish family background, he would wish to please his parents by marrying someone to whom they can relate. Seen as Peter and Laura talking to someone else it might be something just that simple as well though not so important. I think it is just to show what the family background of the most powerful guy around is. Otherwise, what is the story?
"Anybody" could invent an additional Inland Empire scene. But you really seem to be convinced that it was/is valid.
It didn't seem like someting anyone would have a reason to falsify; it was not that interesting. It was in a promotion for the movie in some other language, I think French. I think I found it searching for youtube videos. I'm sorry but I just don't remember.
And it seems that Kingsley tells him or her something intendently. Somehow it`s a certain story. Nikki`s eyes build a connection between "ancient" and "Smithy", so that the result could be "ancient Smithy". She`s interestingly "masked". I don`t have an idea where she could be within OHIBT with that mask.
It looks to me like the face near the end when she is telling Mr. K. about the death of her son. That's another surprise because by that time we've forgotten that Dern is playing the OHIBT character.
I haven`t a special idea what the symbolic mean of the floor is. We have a scene in which the camera obviously shoots over it with high velocity. Isn`t the left entrance something completely new? Maybe the phantom already knows Smithie`s house very well.
I think the passage way through which the phantom walks is new. I can't tell if he enters from a different direction, but it seems that he must because he looks to his right to see down the hallway into the living room. It is as if he has come from the bedroom and turned a corner. The doorway Nikki just went through, to her right in the hall, is not new; it's the same one Lucas went through after planting the gun (earlier, in the dark). It doesn't look to me as if the phantom entered through that door but it is possible. I just find it strange that he takes no interest in Smithy's house. That is put there deliberately for some reason.