Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Endangered_Wulf
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Endangered_Wulf »

smh

I love the world of Twin Peaks.

I love David Lynch's fascinating imagination.

...but when it comes to AVANT GARDE visual storytelling.....less is more.
"Fire is the devil, hiding like a coward in the smoke" -Margaret Lanterman The Log Lady
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

garethw wrote:So the thingy who barfed up Bob was the "experiment" from NYC, right? Same credit...
Interesting... you might be right. The actress Erica Enyon was credited as "experiment model" in Part 1 and "experiment" in this episode. The mother of Bob, perhaps? During the purple room scene the American Girl calls whatever is making that banging sound "mother".
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I know this is weird but, when it looked like Mr C. had been killed, I was bummed. He's a fucking awesome character, and it's all because MacLachlan is hitting it out of the park.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Driftwood wrote:We saw the origin of the lodge stuff in our world and you people are crying about filler. unbelievable
There were many, many, many minutes of non-story-telling.

One of the things that excited me going into the show was that I thought it would be completely unconfined by the arbitrary quantization of television time, and unfortunately that turned out not to be true. Sometimes it feels like things are a bit padded out - particularly the Road House show endings in the earlier episodes. This time they did a full video in the middle of an episode, and showed a lot of abstract footage.

I really liked the episode, and utterly loved much of it, including what you just alluded to -- but it feels quite padded to... a lot of people.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Can't tell if that was the worst piece of television I've ever seen in my life or the most innovative if not incredibly, incredibly drawn out. I have no idea.

I'm really mad we have to wait two weeks though.. Felt like someone kidnapped me, drugged me with acid and stuck me in a dark closet for an hour.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

asquideatingdough wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
asquideatingdough wrote:Also, just curious, who was that who introduced NIN?
idk but he was a near dead ringer for Jimmy Scott. SPOOKY
Yeah I totally thought it was him. Didn't realize he passed in 2014. Didn't catch him in the credits either.
JR Starr in credits.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

crash_and_burn wrote:Here's my very intuitive take:

The woman in the Purple Zone is the caretaker of Earth along side the Giant, Earth is "Our House".
My original theory about the woman in the purple place was that she was a nuclear bomb victim and her soul was destroyed by the blast which sent her into non-existence. But that would probably one of those blue rose mysteries we'll never know about.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Rather than being a new direction for the show, I see this more as a 1-episode bridge between two halves.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Endangered_Wulf wrote:smh

I love the world of Twin Peaks.

I love David Lynch's fascinating imagination.

...but when it comes to AVANT GARDE visual storytelling.....less is more.
I'm inclined to believe that it would be considered good form to refrain from reposting your own posts.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

The extended shots of smoke and fire following the atomic bomb test were amazing. There was one stretch there, where everything was black smoke, except for some fiery explosion happening at the center of the screen. This fiery part looked to be very far away, and it created the feeling of being trapped in a long tunnel of dark smoke, and the only thing that could be seen at the end of the tunnel was an explosion going off.

It was one of the most claustrophobic sequences I've ever seen in movies/tv... Lynch has done it again.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Brown Lodge wrote:Rather than being a new direction for the show, I see this more as a 1-episode bridge between two halves.
Yes, it seemed like an 'origins' episode.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sylviecerise
Roadhouse Member

Post by sylviecerise »

I can definitely understand the frustration some people will have with this episode. If Lynch weren't restricted to 1 hour slots, this would have been amazing as a 30 minute stand-alone film. It was explosive (literally) and beautiful and horrific.

Within the context of the story, It's exciting that we're getting the Lodge mythology pushed forward. Agree that it is a bridge. We aren't going to go back to New Mexico, buy we will see the consequences of what happened here. This episode was really pushing the *why* and *how* of BOB and Laura. It will likely make a lot more sense by the end (or maybe by the episode "Laura is the one") But we'll see...
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:I'm really mad we have to wait two weeks though...
^^^ This!

This felt like a bit of a book-end, in a way. I have no idea where the next episode will take us, but I have the distinct feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

So Ray is going to get torn to shreds I bet....