Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

silvo
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by silvo »

WHAT WAS THAT??? I will rewatch it! Maybe the girl is the Log Lady?
Hercousin wrote:Well, fam, I got nothing. Except 3-4 more minutes of "The" Nine Inch Nails than I ever wanted to see in Twin Peaks. That I got. And I think it might have ruined seeing Laura's soul being sent to earth.

Might end up being a favorite part once this is all wrapped up, but right now I'm feeling like I need to raid my husband's cache of Greek table wine. Which is shit, let me tell you.

name of the wine? I am Greek and I am wondering why it is shit. Some of them are shit.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

mtwentz wrote:
Pinky wrote:I don't think we're ending this with a happy ever after real world Coop back to stay in Twin Peaks, or a 'permanently' back to life Laura. Or a fourth season. It doesn't feel like that's where they're going with this. The stakes have been raised and they'll only be back to try and confront this evil, then it's off to the White Lodge with them.
Predicting the ending at this point is a fool's errand :-)
oh for sure! It just feels like the scope has expanded so much. As for a fourth season, where the hell could they go?:)
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

its been 11 hours since i watched it. im on the subway heading to work and i am still smiling.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

Dumbfounded.

Please let us stay in the fifties for at least another episode
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

This may be a long post. I have a few things I want to mention. I'm probably gonna get crapped on for this first thing but I really wanted to share something that's really hard for me to grapple with RE: Laura and I'm hoping people can settle my anxiety. I was speechless last night. Couldn't even sleep well after watching this (I haven't watched it a second time yet but I'm gonna start from ep one and do a marathon of sorts this weekend) but from what I gather from watching and reading some posts there is a possibility Laura may have been created/conceived for the purpose of fighting BOB and all the rest of these evil entities . I'm struggling with this emotionally because if that's the case, Laura will no longer seem human to me. I think what resonated with me about Laura for these many years was just how human she was! Struggling with abuse, insecurities, probably self-hating; she was a self-destructing broken kid who was so far lost and seemed to have given up with no chance of redemption. Yet, in the end even though she lost her life, she won. She didn't succumb to the evil. She didn't allow it to take her soul. If she was "created"; planned before conception, whatever, I will feel very disconnected from the Laura we thought we knew and who we connected with on a very human and emotional level. Its almost like losing a friend in some odd way. And I really REALLY didn't expect to have such strong emotions about this at all.

BTW, there is a famous bible verse where Jesus says "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". Did anyone else think of this verse when Laura says to Cooper "I am dead yet I live"? I took it to mean that her soul was saved and that she was in a good place. Maybe a good place to help fight BOB again, yes, but since she's dead in the worldy-sense, I wouldn't mind them going that supernatural route with her NOW. It's the idea of the living Laura somehow being part supernatural that bothers me. So I hope that's not the case.

OK, enough of that since I'll probably start going in circles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One poster here brought "Metropolis" up. I LOVE THAT MOVIE. OK, I brought it up in another thread (the ep 1&2 thread)... The scene with Cooper and Laura in the lodge.... Laura reminded me so much of Maria with her mannerisms, her makeup, the blinking eye. Everything. The scenes with Cooper and the woman with no eyes screamed german expressionism to me. When they were outside in space, I got more reminded of Melies "A Trip to the Moon". I saw it again throughout much of this ep. Its visually a masterpiece, imo. STUNNING.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, someone here made a funny reference to Hitchcock's "Vertigo". DL definitely seems to have an obsession with Laura, no doubt. There's one thing I'm curious about. Maybe someone who knows more about the behind the scenes stuff from the original run can answer. I know Sheryl Lee was originally only supposed to be hired for 3-4 days. Was Lynch planning on Laura being such an important piece of the TP universe originally if he was only planning on keeping an actress around for 3-4 days or did Sheryl's performance give him the motivation to build on her? I mean the fact he brought her back as Maddy (Vertigo) Ferguson and then planned on bringing her back as a third character speaks volumes of what he thought of Sheryl the actress. But I am indeed curious about what his intentions were for the character of Laura early on.

I am truly sorry for the long post, folks. If you got this far, thanks for reading it all. I'll probably have even more to say once I watch the episode a second time. :)
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

TheGum wrote:
Rhodes wrote:Would Lynch be willing to put in this crazy amount of work again for a season 4?

I only want a season 4 if Lynch is 100% on board again. But if he would be 100% motivated and inspired, and seeing what he still can do at his age, it would be fantastisc to have a season 4. The Return nearly doubles his total output. But as Lynch is getting older, if we want to see much more of him, there's no better / more logical way than a season 4.

But I am afraid that Showtime is not going to be fooled for a second time.
Who's to say they WERE fooled. This is brilliant, subversive television, the kind of ground breaking stuff Showtime has seemed to yearn for and miss time and time again. The reviews are in and they are pretty much stellar. Even those that hate it can't stop talking about it. I don't think they had any illusions how weird it could get when they gave David Lynch complete creative control.
They must be seeing the positive things people are writing on Twitter. They are tagging Showtime in.

If anything it makes them look like the bravest network out there - which is great advertising at any rate :D
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Absolutely incredible. Jawdropping.

Teared up when I saw Laura's image engulfed in that light. Can't explain why, other than that the control Lynch has over the medium is pretty much unmatched in cinema.

Hope we get more in the 50s. That little bit with the Platters was so beautiful!
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

ok time to move on...where the hell is Audrey. :lol: :lol: :lol

Showtime fooled? Seriously, look at the publicity they are getting with Twin Peaks. Every part,, every week is more analysis and media coverage. Not familiar with a lot of Showtime, being in Australia, but surely they will see benefits long after The Return ends.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rhodes wrote:
But I am afraid that Showtime is not going to be fooled for a second time.
Fooled? They made money out of this.

Also, do you honestly think they actually gave him total freedom and a blank check? There was supervision, just very limited on the artistic level. They certainly knew what Lynch was going to do and they probably saw a draft script before paying up for the filming of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Im shocked we haven't gotten a glimpse of Ed yet 8 ! Eight episodes in and nothing from him , a single scene of James , a couple of Bobby scenes , Nadine just smiling at a screen .. I would have never guessed jerry would have gotten more screen time by this point in the series than those original cast members .. we are one episode away from the halfway point of the series and I won't lie I am starting to get a little frustrated ... and then you throw an episode like this in the mix ... yikes , I trust frost and lynch to hopefully bring it all together and at the same time I think there's an equal chance that they don't .. and that would be really tragic and a big letdown. Also please don't reply with "this is their story that they're telling their way they don't owe you anything or any explanations" . I beg to differ , we as the fans literally gave them a job and a salary to create something we could enjoy and they're really playing with us here . I watched this episode 3 times last night and was up to way too late with a cold and I'm high on cold/ flu medicine so maybe I'm just in a funk but honeslty this episode was lovely to look at but a pain in the ass to watch. Long extended takes with actors in a scene is one thing , but to have such a long extended cut of explosions and swirls of color was just ... too much. That could have been cleaned up and cut down a bit , Atleast in my opinion.

Anyways sorry I just totally rambled on and on and it probably made about as much sense as this episode so I guess it's fitting I didn't know where to stop , kind of like lynch clearly not having one single person on set to tell him no or to stop himself .. lol
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

SpookySculder wrote:This may be a long post. I have a few things I want to mention. I'm probably gonna get crapped on for this first thing but I really wanted to share something that's really hard for me to grapple with RE: Laura and I'm hoping people can settle my anxiety. I was speechless last night. Couldn't even sleep well after watching this (I haven't watched it a second time yet but I'm gonna start from ep one and do a marathon of sorts this weekend) but from what I gather from watching and reading some posts there is a possibility Laura may have been created/conceived for the purpose of fighting BOB and all the rest of these evil entities . I'm struggling with this emotionally because if that's the case, Laura will no longer seem human to me. I think what resonated with me about Laura for these many years was just how human she was! Struggling with abuse, insecurities, probably self-hating; she was a self-destructing broken kid who was so far lost and seemed to have given up with no chance of redemption. Yet, in the end even though she lost her life, she won. She didn't succumb to the evil. She didn't allow it to take her soul. If she was "created"; planned before conception, whatever, I will feel very disconnected from the Laura we thought we knew and who we connected with on a very human and emotional level. Its almost like losing a friend in some odd way. And I really REALLY didn't expect to have such strong emotions about this at all.

BTW, there is a famous bible verse where Jesus says "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". Did anyone else think of this verse when Laura says to Cooper "I am dead yet I live"? I took it to mean that her soul was saved and that she was in a good place. Maybe a good place to help fight BOB again, yes, but since she's dead in the worldy-sense, I wouldn't mind them going that supernatural route with her NOW. It's the idea of the living Laura somehow being part supernatural that bothers me. So I hope that's not the case.

OK, enough of that since I'll probably start going in circles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One poster here brought "Metropolis" up. I LOVE THAT MOVIE. OK, I brought it up in another thread (the ep 1&2 thread)... The scene with Cooper and Laura in the lodge.... Laura reminded me so much of Maria with her mannerisms, her makeup, the blinking eye. Everything. The scenes with Cooper and the woman with no eyes screamed german expressionism to me. When they were outside in space, I got more reminded of Melies "A Trip to the Moon". I saw it again throughout much of this ep. Its visually a masterpiece, imo. STUNNING.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, someone here made a funny reference to Hitchcock's "Vertigo". DL definitely seems to have an obsession with Laura, no doubt. There's one thing I'm curious about. Maybe someone who knows more about the behind the scenes stuff from the original run can answer. I know Sheryl Lee was originally only supposed to be hired for 3-4 days. Was Lynch planning on Laura being such an important piece of the TP universe originally if he was only planning on keeping an actress around for 3-4 days or did Sheryl's performance give him the motivation to build on her? I mean the fact he brought her back as Maddy (Vertigo) Ferguson and then planned on bringing her back as a third character speaks volumes of what he thought of Sheryl the actress. But I am indeed curious about what his intentions were for the character of Laura early on.

I am truly sorry for the long post, folks. If you got this far, thanks for reading it all. I'll probably have even more to say once I watch the episode a second time. :)
i think the laura you and all of us knew WAS human. she behaved like a human. she struggled with human emotions. if she was anything more than human, then she herself didn't know it.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Mistertom wrote: I beg to differ , we as the fans literally gave them a job and a salary to create something we could enjoy and they're really playing with us here .
I don't recall literally giving them a job and a salary. Frost/Lynch worked for years on the script without a dime and expanded it when they got the Showtime deal. Literally.

Boy, some of these possessive elements of fan culture are more frustrating than a lengthy sweeping sequence.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

I've never known a show completely change from Season 1, Ep 1 via FWWM ago this. It's not criticising it as I love it - but what a strange journey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

sylviecerise wrote:Wasn't there something about the year 1956? Was that when people thought that BOB possessed Leland at Pearl Lakes? or something in TSHOP about 1956? Definitely going to read it in the next two weeks...

I'll admit, it was a little frustrating to not spend any time in Twin Peaks or Las Vegas. But so many of us were hoping this season would push the mythology forward, which this episode absolutely did. And DoppelCooper survived the shots??? But BOB has left him? What's happening there?
So is DoppleCoop having to manage on his own? And is Bob in search of another host?

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

KyleRickards wrote:I've never known a show completely change from Season 1, Ep 1 via FWWM ago this. It's not criticising it as I love it - but what a strange journey!

What I would say tho is that all the things E8 touched on are things that are prevalent way back into the original show, thematically at least. Or they're things Lynch has always been preoccupied with dating right back to Eraserhead.

It's different yet strangely familiar...