Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

I definitely liked this one more than the last few. Horror, and a change of pace, were what the show needed at this point. I've had the "poem" in my head since this morning when I watched it. The digital cinematography kept the B&W from being completely engrossing, but it was smart to render it in B&W so that one dimension of reality could be removed. Shooting it (and the whole series, for that matter) with a lower-grade camcorder would have been preferable. The NIN performance/staging and song I didn't too much like even though I am a fan.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:It´s especially interesting because I´m rewatching the whole show and I have just finished episode 3. It´s so weird seeing Cooper alone with Laura in the morgue knowing how intimately these two are connected now and how important Laura really is the for the whole show. She´s not only a plot device like in the show, a fully human being like in FWWM, no she´s also an agent of the white lodge, participating in a cosmic battle of good and evil.
Laura and Cooper are like soulmates. And I don't mean sexual or romantic (although I used to look at the ending of FWWM as a spiritual marriage) but two people with a deep spiritual connection, where one's existence would not be the same would the other.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I have to say, I loved the Roadhouse performance, that was a great song. Introducing them as 'The' Nine Inch Nails maybe was a bit on the nose but the atmosphere of the scene was just incredible. Similarly to Trouble's Snake Eyes.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mhanor

Post by mhanor »

1. In episode 6, when the boy dies, we get to acknowledge a concept: the soul. I think that ????? is actually a group of souls, a cluster of souls, belonging to the Light. He could be The One, The Human Consciousness Singularity. What we see when the swarm of lights come out of ??????, is actually a gathering of souls. They choose one to take on the mission, to reveal the Truth. Laura does that through her diary and her death. I don't recognize the pattern that the light swarm makes. It definitely looks like a really well defined pattern, but I don't know what it means.

2. Has anyone noticed the stairs, when ?????? is about to enter the 'theater room'. On the right side, where ?????? is walking up, the stair rugs are in good condition, maybe signifying a less used path. The left side stair rugs are completely worn out. Maybe it means that souls come more often, to this realm, than they leave.

3. The sudden appearance and movement of Laura's orb, in Earth's realm, resembles that of sudden materialization and movement of UFOs/orbs, in certain NASA videos.

4. Another issue I'm wondering is is there a link between the gold nugget that was created in the atomic blast and the Ring, which I assume it's made out of gold. It's not a big chunk, the view is zooming in to atomic/particle level, then crossing a threshold and we see the other dimension. Also, what's the connection with the gold nugget that's left behind when Dougie gets terminated. Mike makes it clear that Dougie is a construct, a machine, but I don't understand the connection between his gold nugget and the others. Or what the gold nuggets really are, considering that we see the type of receivers Bad Coop uses, that turn into gold nuggets.

5. The insect/frog hybrid is an unnatural creature, it is not Laura. Forcing itself on the girl, with the help of the woodsman, while she's unaware, means it's an agent of Evil. Also, the girl frowns, at the closing credits.

6. Who/what is the Mother of Bob. She is one source of Evil, but I'm not sure how she's connected to the woodsmen.

7. Who/what is Senorita Dido. As with ??????, we see her in a human form, as a woman, but she's not a woman. Nor ?????? is a man. Dido might be related to the queen of Carthage, in greek mythology. But I don't see the connection.

8. Before ?????? switches off the alarm, he looks at us, the audience, analyzing us...

9. I don't see the connection between Cooper and Laura, except they both are agents of Light.
Last edited by mhanor on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Ragnell wrote:
Firewalkwithme91 wrote:It´s especially interesting because I´m rewatching the whole show and I have just finished episode 3. It´s so weird seeing Cooper alone with Laura in the morgue knowing how intimately these two are connected now and how important Laura really is the for the whole show. She´s not only a plot device like in the show, a fully human being like in FWWM, no she´s also an agent of the white lodge, participating in a cosmic battle of good and evil.
Laura and Cooper are like soulmates. And I don't mean sexual or romantic (although I used to look at the ending of FWWM as a spiritual marriage) but two people with a deep spiritual connection, where one's existence would not be the same would the other.
Agreed! That fascinates me and I´m excited to see how they will handle their spiritual relationship in the rest of the episodes.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

G42.2 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I heard creamed corn may be visible somewhere in this episode but I didn't see it. Anyone have a timestamp?
There seem to be cans of it in outline visible in the window of the convenience store all throughout that scene yes...
I think those cans were intended to be oil cans. But hey, scorched engine oil. Works either way.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

baxter wrote:Wow!

I couldn't sleep much with the hype last night, then watched the episode tonight.

Wow!

I guess I got exposed to more spoilers than I realised. Haven't we known for ages that there would be a nuclear explosion? Nothing prepared me for what that looked like though.

I always have one though in these sorts of episode. What did the script look like??????!!!!!!!
After certain episodes, I sometimes think about what the reaction would have been had some element of it leaked. Imagine if two years ago, a night shot of the Convenience Store had gotten out. All the theories, all the debate. Just one shot of one of the Woodsmen would have kept us going for nigh on a year.

Or being part of the crew and thinking, 'hehe, this is going to bend some heads in a year or two when it gets released'
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Pinky wrote:
baxter wrote:Wow!

I couldn't sleep much with the hype last night, then watched the episode tonight.

Wow!

I guess I got exposed to more spoilers than I realised. Haven't we known for ages that there would be a nuclear explosion? Nothing prepared me for what that looked like though.

I always have one though in these sorts of episode. What did the script look like??????!!!!!!!
After certain episodes, I sometimes think about what the reaction would have been had some element of it leaked. Imagine if two years ago, a night shot of the Convenience Store had gotten out. All the theories, all the debate. Just one shot of one of the Woodsmen would have kept us going for nigh on a year.

Or being part of the crew and thinking, 'hehe, this is going to bend some heads in a year or two when it gets released'
Well, it just delayed the debate and theories :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

Mallard wrote:
G42.2 wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I heard creamed corn may be visible somewhere in this episode but I didn't see it. Anyone have a timestamp?
There seem to be cans of it in outline visible in the window of the convenience store all throughout that scene yes...
I think those cans were intended to be oil cans. But hey, scorched engine oil. Works either way.

Ooh true it could be that! And yes, ha, either way works!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Doesnt Mike / Gerard say something like "hes been here for around 40 years" when speking about BOB in episode e13 (i think)?
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Perhaps the jade-like substsance of the ring is actually the melted sand of ground zero bomb spot. Google
It, the melted sand turned green like jade.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

mtwentz wrote:Did anyone find some of the scenes last night slightly reminiscent of The Ring? I am thinking of the video that causes people to die if they see it.
Yes! I was almost expecting my phone to ring and a disembodied voice saying "You have 7 days" :shock:
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

rocketsan22 wrote:Perhaps the jade-like substsance of the ring is actually the melted sand of ground zero bomb spot. Google
It, the melted sand turned green like jade.
Good call! Trinitite.

There's your roast beef and cheese.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Nighthawk wrote: As some posters have already noted before, the White Lodge/Black Lodge terminology may be way too simplistic. There may be more realms and more factions in play, all with their own agendas ranging from benevolent to sinister. One thing that has struck me. Has any of the Lodge spirits ever spoken about their worlds as being called White/Black Lodges? Or is it only humans who have called them that? Little Man from Another Place called the Red Curtain realm a 'waiting room', but never said anything about a Lodge.
DoppelCoop said to Darya that he was supposed to go back to "what they call the Black Lodge" in episode 3
silvo
Roadhouse Member

Post by silvo »

Does anyone feel that what came out from the giant's mind was a large astral female genital? As I believe from the beginning the Giant and the Arm is celestial substances and it seems to that he made a female genital from starts connecting both the birth of a universe and the birth of a child