Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Bookworm wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Did anyone find some of the scenes last night slightly reminiscent of The Ring? I am thinking of the video that causes people to die if they see it.
Yes! I was almost expecting my phone to ring and a disembodied voice saying "You have 7 days" :shock:
It's all via Snapchat nowadays. Check it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

NewShoes wrote: 8. The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. The mechanic in the garage was filmed in North Bend, WA. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My first thought was that the young boy was Leland, but Harry tells us at Leland's bail hearing that Leland's grandpa brought the Palmer family to TP in 1914. Given that, not sure what he'd be doing living "by the school" in NM in the '50s. I can definitely buy the girl being Sarah, but DKL has typically used bugs to symbolize corruption (see Blue Velvet), so I'm not really buying Gregor Samsa being Laura.

It's worth noting that, in TSHoTP, Jack Parsons seems unaware that the first nuclear test opened the door
to the Lodges: he meets Hubbard in August 1945, the month after the crossing-over of the Woodsmen/Bob as depicted in Part 8. Also, in the book, the Lodge spirits (specifically, Owls and a Giant) clearly predate the White Sands test, as the spirits communicate with Native Americans, Lewis and both Milford brothers, among others, long before 1945.
silvo wrote:Does anyone feel that what came out from the giant's mind was a large astral female genital? As I believe from the beginning the Giant and the Arm is celestial substances and it seems to that he made a female genital from starts connecting both the birth of a universe and the birth of a child
At least one other person has noted this. I'll have to rewatch. But if accurate, it would make a nice bookend to Eraserhead's omnipresent sperm imagery in showing DKL's evolution.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Does anyone else think that the Giant may be... us?
Watching Episode 8 I noticed that once the alarm goes off, he looks at us for a couple of minutes. He stares at us. Then he goes upstairs into the theatre and watches the very same video we watched. Very same video. Then, like us, he starts thinking about Laura and "creates" her, her universe. He thinks about Laura (the true soul of TP), because he (we) needs her, shooting her on an Earth which has been without Laura (as with the first 8 episodes with the exception of the single Lodge scene) until now.
I think that the show is going to transform quite soon into something else because Laura is in the world, therefore in the series.

Talk about breaking the Fourth Wall... it has been shattered!

Last edited by yaxomoxay on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Nighthawk wrote: I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
"A convenience story. We lived above it." They live in the air, so it would be "above". As below.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

Nighthawk wrote:
NewShoes wrote: 8. The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. The mechanic in the garage was filmed in North Bend, WA. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
They may just have moved upstairs. :D

I can't remember if we know whether or not the convenience store is located in Twin Peaks. Do we ?
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
It's worth noting that, in TSHoTP, Jack Parsons seems unaware that the first nuclear test opened the door
to the Lodges: he meets Hubbard in August 1945, the month after the crossing-over of the Woodsmen/Bob as depicted in Part 8. Also, in the book, the Lodge spirits (specifically, Owls and a Giant) clearly predate the White Sands test, as the spirits communicate with Native Americans, Lewis and both Milford brothers, among others, long before 1945.
My take on this - yes, the Lodge always existed, and there may have been crossovers between the two worlds - BUT the nuclear explosion birthed that cosmic garmonbozia into this world.

Also, the scorched engine oil has always implied modernity/industry. engine oil is man-made. that pool in the middle of the sycamore trees came from man, but oil comes from/ is related to natural elements - fire and smoke. man and nature working together, something DL always likes to expound on in his art.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

yaxomoxay wrote:Does anyone else think that the Giant may be... us?
Watching Episode 8 I noticed that once the alarm goes off, he looks at us for a couple of minutes. He stares at us. Then he goes upstairs into the theatre and watches the very same video we watched. Very same video. Then, like us, he starts thinking about Laura and "creates" her, her universe. He thinks about Laura (the true soul of TP), because he (we) needs her, shooting her on an Earth which has been without Laura (as with the first 8 episodes with the exception of the single Lodge scene) until now.
I think that the show is going to transform quite soon into something else because Laura is in the world, therefore in the series.

I like that. Very meta. :)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm unsure why so many are sure that BOB left Bad Coop?

Why would BOB heal Bad Coop, only to leave him?

I think the scene was meant to show us how difficult it will be to kill Bad Coop with BOB inside of him.

So first BOB must be chased away from Bad Coop in order for Good Coop to destroy him.
Last edited by Wonderful & Strange on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kafa81 wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:I looked for Badalamenti in the music credits. Obvs the main music featured involved established composers/ bands, bu the other song "Slow 30s Room", was credited to "David Lynch and Dean Hurley." I'm not sure which song that was -- but: the music playing as the Giant levitated and the lady looked up, it kept reminding me of some of the music from TP S2 so I was expecting Badalamenti has something to do with it, and kind of disappointed that he hadn't~
I thought it was Badalamenti as well...so it wasn't? that sucks...still hope we get a lot of his music in this thing...anyways the music while the ??????? was levitating was great, going back to listen to it again...then going for a late night run :D
They are only crediting non-Badalamenti tracks in the end credits. Because Badalamenti's credit in the opening credits, all Badalamenti tracks go uncredited in the end credits. Just like the original show.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'm unsure why so many are sure that BOB left Bad Coop?

Why would BOB heal Bad Coop, only to leave him?

I think the scene was meant to show us how difficult it will be to kill Bad Coop with BOB inside of him.

So first BOB must be chased away from Bad Coop in order for Good Coop to destroy him.
My interpretation was that the woodsmen extracted BOB thru ritual. Weren't they pulling it out? Was Mr C. healed or is something more required to kill him.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

The weird thing bout this episode, since it is truly so different, is that its the episode of S3 that has frustrated me the least! It's so far removed that it just becomes its own thing. And it is glorious.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Does anyone else think that the Giant may be... us?

I like that. Very meta. :)
Lol, thanks.
I think that the clues suggest that the centerpiece of this series is not Cooper, but Laura. She's not just to be a cameo, someone who died and somehow reappears. I think she's going to be the main character of S3, that main character she never was in S1 because she was dead.

G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

My good friend David Koenig just made this excellent mash-up video which may be enjoyable to some here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP55ObecUFk[/youtube]

Last edited by G42.2 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G42.2
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42.2 »

G42.2 wrote:My good friend David Koenig just made this excellent mash-up video which may be enjoyable to some here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP55ObecUFk[/youtube]

EDIT:
My internet may be funky so just in case this isn't showing up here is the direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP55ObecUFk