Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Calderon »

If this would have been the very last episode of Twin peaks I could die happy.
NewShoes

Re: RE: Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by NewShoes »

Panapaok wrote:
NewShoes wrote:The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
Did you actually watch them filming it? Can you share any tidbits from it?
To my knowledge no filming was witnessed, the security was tighter out there.

Instead, people snuck on-site after the structure was built when there was no filming happening. There are photos from those instances. Some of them surfaced here in the spoiler thread, but the sign was not in any photo that I saw. I don't have any of the photos, but they will turn up again at some point.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

silvo wrote:Does anyone feel that what came out from the giant's mind was a large astral female genital? As I believe from the beginning the Giant and the Arm is celestial substances and it seems to that he made a female genital from starts connecting both the birth of a universe and the birth of a child
I asked my girlfriend if she thought the golden shape looked like a uterus... So, yes!
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Is there a catalyst for why the woodsmen went on attack in 1956 (11 years later) instead of 1945 when they were created/entered a gateway? The woodsman walking down the hall in the morgue from ep. 7 seemed pretty indifferent in that scene. Even the woodsmen trying to resuscitate Evil Coop paid no attention to Ray, and he's the one that tried to kill him.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Ross wrote:
kafa81 wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:I looked for Badalamenti in the music credits. Obvs the main music featured involved established composers/ bands, bu the other song "Slow 30s Room", was credited to "David Lynch and Dean Hurley." I'm not sure which song that was -- but: the music playing as the Giant levitated and the lady looked up, it kept reminding me of some of the music from TP S2 so I was expecting Badalamenti has something to do with it, and kind of disappointed that he hadn't~
I thought it was Badalamenti as well...so it wasn't? that sucks...still hope we get a lot of his music in this thing...anyways the music while the ??????? was levitating was great, going back to listen to it again...then going for a late night run :D
They are only crediting non-Badalamenti tracks in the end credits. Because Badalamenti's credit in the opening credits, all Badalamenti tracks go uncredited in the end credits. Just like the original show.
So then it is possible that the music playing while the ??????? is levitating is from Badalamenti? OR do we have confirmation that this is from a different artist?
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

Panapaok wrote:Why do you think they picked an Abraham Lincoln impersonator to play the main Woodsman? It has to be intentional, right? I mean, the guy has only played Abe Lincoln in all his credited roles until Twin Peaks. Can't imagine that Johanna Ray randomly discovered him, unless she was specifically looking for someone like him. He was terrifying.
Lincoln is like an American saint. His image and iconography you can say evoke high American ideals, the Emancipation, and perhaps also tragedy. His image being repurposed by the Lodge spirits at the moment America's innocence died seems apt. Also recall, the girl finds a coin that is face-up. She says it (the face of Abe) signals good luck. But it seems the opoosite is true with the charcoal Lincoln floating around... or perhaps, if the insect-frog was Laura's essence, then the coin was a fortunate discovery after all. A little sliver of luck for the bad times ahead.

I think there's further associations between the end of a nation's innocence, and the beginning of a little girl's sexual adolescence, which beget both BOB and Laura. There's a lot to unpack here, and it threads through all of Lynch's work. As someone who sees Lost Highway, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive as little Lodge side-stories, it was wonderful to see Club Silencio again, even if it was in another guise.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

kafa81 wrote:So then it is possible that the music playing while the ??????? is levitating is from Badalamenti? OR do we have confirmation that this is from a different artist?
It's from him. A variation from the hit and run theme.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

anthoto1 wrote:
kafa81 wrote:So then it is possible that the music playing while the ??????? is levitating is from Badalamenti? OR do we have confirmation that this is from a different artist?
It's from him. A variation from the hit and run theme.
You think? Donno if any of his songs have names ... you got any info?

I sort of found the BOB scene with the abomb a reflection of what Albert said in season 2. Maybe BOB is just the evil that men do, something along those lines...abombs have been nothing but evil when you look at them, so it isn't surprising that they opened up a doorway to something possibly even more evil :?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Troubbble wrote:
silvo wrote:Does anyone feel that what came out from the giant's mind was a large astral female genital? As I believe from the beginning the Giant and the Arm is celestial substances and it seems to that he made a female genital from starts connecting both the birth of a universe and the birth of a child
I asked my girlfriend if she thought the golden shape looked like a uterus... So, yes!
I think it was definitely meant to look like a uterus.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Ross wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
I think it was definitely meant to look like a uterus.
Agreed, it's the first thing I thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Post by KnewItsPa »

Ah. Episode 8. Wonderful.

Makes me want to watch Mark Cousins/Mogwai ATOMIC:LIVING IN DREAD AND PROMISE again.

"Crack the code, solve the crime."
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ironically, despite being completely unconventional in almost every other sense, Part 8 felt more like a "traditional" self-contained standalone episode than any other hour of this 18-hour movie so far.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lynch and Dunham lightly re-structured some of the earlier parts to ensure that this section could play uninterrupted. Of course, we're assuming that it's right back to more "business as usual" material with the start of Part 9, but who knows what comes next at this point?
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Just watched it... wow. Lots to process, lots of things I thought or noticed, but for now here's one thing...

I think the bug thing was the first stage of the arm's evolution. Before it climbed into the girl's mouth, it made the sound the tree made ("I am the arm and I sound like this..." )
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phillipjeffriestp

Post by phillipjeffriestp »

I've read many theories saying that the Giant created Laura to fight Bob. I think this is a pretty easy way to read this scene of part 8. Good vs Evil plot it would be too flat and silly to be a Lynch idea.
I see that no one remember this from the original run, please watch the video, this is very important...
https://youtu.be/RJsBZGtOmBQ?t=1m28s

The little man from another place says that "She's my cousin, but doesn't she look almost exactly Laura Palmer?".
Then, it could be that this was the real creation of the Giant, not the "real" Laura but her "protector" aka the Angel in the end scene of FWWM (not so sure about the angel, btw). The lady in a black dress in the Waiting Room is NOT Laura Palmer but a spirit of the lodge maybe created to protect Laura from Bob, to prevent Laura to be possessed by Bob, she could be the ring that protects from Bob possession!
I think that the fact that Philip Michael Gerard has a Red Lodge "alter ego" gives strength to this theory: "The cousin" is Laura alter ego spirit in the lodge as well as Mike is Gerard alter ego spirit. Last but not least, we see Laura ascend to Heaven/Paradise/White Lodge so it would be pretty illogical imagining it's really her in the Red Lodge, in fact we never met Theresa Bank nor Maddy but only people like Leland who have been possessed by Bob. So why this girl should be Laura?

P.S. This is just a suggestion, it could be that Maddy was created on purpose by the spirits of the lodge like Dougie?

SpookySculder wrote:This may be a long post. I have a few things I want to mention. I'm probably gonna get crapped on for this first thing but I really
wanted to share something that's really hard for me to grapple with RE: Laura and I'm hoping people can settle my anxiety. I was speechless last night. Couldn't even sleep well after watching this (I haven't watched it a second time yet but I'm gonna start from ep one and do a marathon of sorts this weekend) but from what I gather from watching and reading some posts there is a possibility Laura may have been created/conceived for the purpose of fighting BOB and all the rest of these evil entities . I'm struggling with this emotionally because if that's the case, Laura will no longer seem human to me. I think what resonated with me about Laura for these many years was just how human she was! Struggling with abuse, insecurities, probably self-hating; she was a self-destructing broken kid who was so far lost and seemed to have given up with no chance of redemption. Yet, in the end even though she lost her life, she won. She didn't succumb to the evil. She didn't allow it to take her soul. If she was "created"; planned before conception, whatever, I will feel very disconnected from the Laura we thought we knew and who we connected with on a very human and emotional level. Its almost like losing a friend in some odd way. And I really REALLY didn't expect to have such strong emotions about this at all.

BTW, there is a famous bible verse where Jesus says "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live". Did anyone else think of this verse when Laura says to Cooper "I am dead yet I live"? I took it to mean that her soul was saved and that she was in a good place. Maybe a good place to help fight BOB again, yes, but since she's dead in the worldy-sense, I wouldn't mind them going that supernatural route with her NOW. It's the idea of the living Laura somehow being part supernatural that bothers me. So I hope that's not the case.

OK, enough of that since I'll probably start going in circles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One poster here brought "Metropolis" up. I LOVE THAT MOVIE. OK, I brought it up in another thread (the ep 1&2 thread)... The scene with Cooper and Laura in the lodge.... Laura reminded me so much of Maria with her mannerisms, her makeup, the blinking eye. Everything. The scenes with Cooper and the woman with no eyes screamed german expressionism to me. When they were outside in space, I got more reminded of Melies "A Trip to the Moon". I saw it again throughout much of this ep. Its visually a masterpiece, imo. STUNNING.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, someone here made a funny reference to Hitchcock's "Vertigo". DL definitely seems to have an obsession with Laura, no doubt. There's one thing I'm curious about. Maybe someone who knows more about the behind the scenes stuff from the original run can answer. I know Sheryl Lee was originally only supposed to be hired for 3-4 days. Was Lynch planning on Laura being such an important piece of the TP universe originally if he was only planning on keeping an actress around for 3-4 days or did Sheryl's performance give him the motivation to build on her? I mean the fact he brought her back as Maddy (Vertigo) Ferguson and then planned on bringing her back as a third character speaks volumes of what he thought of Sheryl the actress. But I am indeed curious about what his intentions were for the character of Laura early on.

I am truly sorry for the long post, folks. If you got this far, thanks for reading it all. I'll probably have even more to say once I watch the episode a second time. :)
zeppo1

Post by zeppo1 »

Hester Prynne wrote:Is there a catalyst for why the woodsmen went on attack in 1956 (11 years later) instead of 1945 when they were created/entered a gateway?
I was thinking the same thing.

The catalyst seems to be the bug/frog hatching from the egg. It's the first thing we see after the years flip to 1956 and we read that we are in the New Mexico desert.

I guess it doesn't specifically say "White Sands" like in 1948 because the eggs have covered a greater area (?)