Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I just finished watching this thing.

Holy moly. Fantastic. Nearly an hour of special effects. Some of them super intense. Wow.

And we've been handed a banquet of new Lodge mythos to gnaw at.

I had been waiting for Lynch to show us something unlike anything else on television ever.

Was a Night of the Living Dead meets Space Odyssey meets David Lynch.

Bravo.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ross wrote:The idea of linking the Lodges to the atom bomb dates back to early ideas for FWWM, correct? Or possibly before?
I don't recall hearing of it before the spoilers for the new show. But Bob Engels has definitely talked about bugs crawling around on a table in the 1950s in an early FWWM draft (linked to I Love Lucy and Ike -- the President, not the Spike).

The A-bomb feels very Carnivale to me, and of course also has deep DKL links via Henry's bedroom wall print.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Framed_Angel wrote:
Nighthawk wrote: I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
I noticed this, too. But there was a stairway partially visible to the right. This distracted me for the duration of the sequence with woodsmen ambling about in flashing light. I kept wondering about that staircase, and could see treetops behind the building unobstructed where a 2nd story would have let the stairs make sense. (Someone has posted an image a few posts above this, for reference if needed).

A few scenes later -- I'll have to re-watch to determine *how* much later -- there's a convenience store shown with a 2nd story but it's recessed from the storefront. I'll try for a screen-grab if I can find the place, maybe the store that the young couple were just leaving when they're introduced in the 1956 scene ("How did you like that song?", etc).
I took it to be a reference to the bomb, which was certainly "above" the convenience store. (We're assuming that it's a mock convenience store in a mock town for the nuke test site, right?)
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Taperecorder wrote:
alreadygoneplaces wrote:
Taperecorder wrote: This part puzzles me. Why would there be no Cooper without Laura?
Regardless, just think how differently everything would have turned out if only someone had just given that poor man a light...
He just wanted to light that dang cigarette is all....
FWIW... I was looking up Oppenheimer on Wikipedia and apparently he was a huge chain smoker and was rarely seen without a cigarette. I don't think it means anything, but kind of an interesting, possible nod.

Someone on Reddit was talking about how the evil spirits on this show have always used technology to travel or manifest, and fire is mankind's original technology, so makes sense these Woodsmen are obsessed with it, maybe. And also, y'know, fire walk with me and all.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

trying to see the conveinence store as some kind of actual physical store in some real place like nevada or washington just seems wrong
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Since we see the Woodsmen kind of pulling out BOB in a balloon thing from Cooper, I wonder if they canned him up into garmonbozia or whatever, sold it at the convenience store and then the 'mother' got sick from it and vomited, passing BOB along in it?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

The Brown Lodge wrote:Maybe the woodsmen represent the earth itself. They first appeared after man scorched the earth with a nuclear bomb (notice that it wasnt one of the bombs that killed people in Japan, the only damage from this bomb was to the earth ). The woodsmen could be the planet's reaction to this.

So they have tried to summon Bob as a weapon against the perpetrators - mankind. However, they have no idea about the specifics of what Bob will go on to do - they only want an end to the destruction of the planet. The fact the woodsmen kill (innocent?) people on earth is as irrelevant to nature as a cat killing a mouse.

The Giant in the lodge however, who is a power greater than that of a planet has forseen this and possibily decided that mankind is worth saving, so has intervened by creating the Laura seed (the uterus pattern in the soup of life suggests birth). The Giant is god, probably.

It could be that (frost, probably) wanted to include some kind of message about climate change in the show - one of the two greatest challenges currently facing mankind today (the other having already been shown in this episode).
I love this. The Lodges have always seem tied to nature, so it'd fit that the planet is responding to this threat, or culmination of human evil, in some way.

Re: The Giant... yes, it seems that the big device clanging in the White Lodge (?) signals an out-of-the-ordinary danger, prompting the Giant to consult the theatre screen. So unnerving when he breaks the fourth wall and stares at us, the viewers, reminding us that all this is mankind's fault. This is the evil we're capable of.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch-geek question: I have my TV brightness calibrated based on the Eraserhead DVD featurette which presumably reflects DKL's personal viewing preference. However, rewatching TP:TR Part 8 on my laptop, I'm seeing things I couldn't make out on the TV. The bug/frog thing was creepy as hell to begin with....but on my laptop with the brightness turned up, there are all sorts of slimy subtleties to the movements of each individual toe that make my skin crawl in new and unexpected ways. Is anyone else having this experience? I get DKL's love of darkness to fuel imagination (and that approach worked like gangbusters on my initial viewing), but watching this thing with the brightness enhanced is revealing a whole level of attention to detail and craftsmanship I would otherwise have missed out on.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

ToriFreak2016 wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:They weren't kidding when they said that there was going to be political themes this time.

Look forward to laughing at the detractors thread in due course.
You like Twin Peaks, You like David Lynch, You like Twin Peaks and David Lynch. This was a you like David Lynch episode. And that's good for me. Although I think this episode was insanely important for the plot if you can follow it. I actually think that the Laura ball, is actually the soul that ascended in Fire Walk With Me. I say that because when the kid died a few episodes ago, he floated up as a gold dust. Just my opinion.
The way the woman was looking up at the glowing ball reminded me a bit of Laura looking up at the angel in FWWM.

I liked that this tied back to the idea that Laura, despite her conflicted nature, turned out to be a force for good. Not only did she refuse to become one of BOB's vehicles, but I wonder now if the Giant and other forces of the White Lodge knew that her life and death would eventually prompt the town to confront its own dark side and draw BOB into the open so that he'd be forced to abandon Leland.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Re-watched it just now, looking for the convenience store without a 2nd floor (but the stairway built into the side).
Another visual artist occurs to me during certain parts of #8.
The way BOB emerges from EvilCoop's abdomen/ wound area was too dark on my screen last night for me to notice what I did tonight: it resembles very much for me the chest-buster in Alien. Right down to the reaction of horror from Ray, the way the victim in Alien lay losing consciousness as others watching it gasped... I didn't notice til now that EvilCoop was showing signs of being semi-conscious the way John Hurt was in the Alien scene (though having tremors lapsing into death of course).

Fast forward to the young girl at the end as the mysterious winged-reptile enters her mouth. What else? The face-hugger from Alien comes to mind, entering a body as a host.

H.R. Giger is fresh in my mind since I recently read the account (unsubstantiated by Lynch but it's been reported) that DKL didn't pursue Giger for artistic consulting with Dune supposedly because he felt Giger had stolen his idea from the monster-like baby in Eraserhead to create his own "chest buster" monster. Considering that John Hurt and Giger both passed away in the last year/ 2 years respectively, and Hurt having portrayed Merrick in DKL's Elephant Man, these scenes together in the same Part 8, I now have a new level on which to appreciate this episode!
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Something else I loved- the slowed down screams whenever regular people interacted with the woodsmen (or were in the vicinity). Really creepy!

Can't wait to watch this again.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Nighthawk wrote:
NewShoes wrote: 8. The Convenience Store was filmed in WA at Olallie. The mechanic in the garage was filmed in North Bend, WA. Photos of the Convenience Store actually leaked but the difference is that it seems the sign itself never leaked.
I asked this question earlier in a lengthy post that got smothered by incoming replies, but perhaps this part of it can be resurrected. The Lodge spirit meeting from FWWM was supposed to take place 'above a convenience store', but in episode 8 we see a one story building. There is no upper floor.
Could still be the same place. We've seen the Lodge's physical manifestations rearrange themselves before (the changes with the furniture in Episode 29 of the original series, and Cooper finding himself in that room floating in space after entering from near the purple ocean). And, if Jefferies' recollection takes place later in time, maybe the store just had another floor added.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

THE INVISIBLES
Written and Created by Grant Morrison
drawn by Phil Jimenez
DDPET8_WAAAloF2.jpg
DDPET8_WAAAloF2.jpg (168.68 KiB) Viewed 9565 times
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-pea ... art-8.html

http://www.comicsbeat.com/last-nights-t ... nvisibles/

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... les#p76248
Last edited by secretlettermkr on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

I just rewatched and retract my bad opinion of the roadhouse bit. Without the gnawing anxiety about whether I'm going to see characters I was able to really appreciate the spectacle, and the NIN performance flew by. I liked the female vocalist's (his wife?) angelic backup, which I barely heard first time around, and the lyrics are so fitting I wonder what David Lynch told Trent to write about. Also, her leather sleeves are badass.

I thought last night I'd never willingly go back to this part, but after talking to friends about it (I can't remember the last time a show or any piece of art made it necessary to call someone for moral support), this may be one of my new favorites. The neighing of the horse as our lead Woodsman shambles off into the night was for me a straight emotional link to the Palmer living room. Gave me the chills.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Taperecorder wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:without Laura no Cooper.
This part puzzles me. Why would there be no Cooper without Laura?
Well, he probably never would have come to Twin Peaks, unless he'd later gotten a break on the Teresa Banks murder that led him to Leland.