Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LensLarque

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by LensLarque »

Long time Twin Peaks fan. Just thought I would mention a few thoughts on what I have noticed. Apologies if these had been mentioned before.

I noticed in the opening credits it starts with a fog and then if you look closely you will notice a yellow/gold ball right around Laura's face before the music starts. This has been there since the first episode of season 3. I was wondering if it had significance before this episode. Guess I was right.

Can we assume that stuff Bad Coop throws up when the real Cooper manifests is garmonbozia. Hence it making that cop sick.

Based on what we have seen in this episode about the origins of BOB I decided to refresh my memory about the MIKE and BOB relationship. I recommend reading through the entry on MIKE on the Twin Peaks Wiki page. Really interesting stuff coming off the episode. Anyway one of the things I thought I remembered from the original series was that MIKE had a tattoo on the arm he cut off. What did he say it said? "Mom" as in Mother.
Mario Stein

Post by Mario Stein »

LensLarque wrote:Long time Twin Peaks fan. Just thought I would mention a few thoughts on what I have noticed. Apologies if these had been mentioned before.

I noticed in the opening credits it starts with a fog and then if you look closely you will notice a yellow/gold ball right around Laura's face before the music starts. This has been there since the first episode of season 3. I was wondering if it had significance before this episode. Guess I was right.

Can we assume that stuff Bad Coop throws up when the real Cooper manifests is garmonbozia. Hence it making that cop sick.

Based on what we have seen in this episode about the origins of BOB I decided to refresh my memory about the MIKE and BOB relationship. I recommend reading through the entry on MIKE on the Twin Peaks Wiki page. Really interesting stuff coming off the episode. Anyway one of the things I thought I remembered from the original series was that MIKE had a tattoo on the arm he cut off. What did he say it said? "Mom" as in Mother.
Phillip Michael Gerard said is was "Mom" (as response to Cooper's question), but actually is was "Fire Walk With Me".
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

Thinking more about this episode the last couple of days, I thought explaining laura and bob was a pretty big mistake. The whole evil in the hearts of men didnt need explaining. The fact it struck a normalish family and drove her crazy has more power in it than magic giant sends laura palmer ball to earth.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:This has probably been mentioned but the creature that spits out BOB has reversed hands or even arms (her thumbs are on the wrong side) I found that pretty cool. All in all, this episode was super overwhelming.

I think we saw the white logde... Giving birth to Laura.
That creature does not have eyes just like the woman Cooper encounters in EP 3.Also is that creature vomiting garmonbozia?
30SPT

Post by 30SPT »

TL;DR?

Finally got through to the end of the thread!

Firstly, I just wanted to add the movie "Dark City" to the list of inspiration, in regards to Woodsman Abe's capabilities.

"Is it future? Or... Is it past?"

I think yes, and no. When we first see ??????? in this episode, he's in a room with an old school gramophone and there are also chairs in this room which have the same material/pattern as the comfortable chairs found in the very first scene of part 1.

In that scene, they are sitting in these chairs, while ??????? is giving clues to Special Agent Dale Cooper... Don't you just love to say Special Agent Dale Cooper?!

The only thing is, it doesn't appear to be the same room where ??????? creates the Laurorb, as there aren't any chairs in that room, only a projector. Upon ending the conversation, Cooper flickers away and ??????? stays, perhaps as a projector gets turned off? There are a lot of people disappearing though, so that may be a stretch.

However, it would seem that ??????? in the 50's, can talk to present day Cooper... Or at least, the "future" present day Cooper, hence the black and white scenes.

Now, what did Laura whisper to Cooper?

In part 1, "not" Laura, but "Laura" whispers something to Cooper. We can't make it out, however, Cooper is really shocked by what she said. It's almost as if it affected him in similar way to how Woodsman Abe's poetry, flowed through the radio waves, and caused the residents to faint... Did Laura recite the "Well" poem to Cooper?

The time she takes to say whatever it is that she whispered, is roughly the same amount of time it takes for Woodsman Abe to say the poem. Right after she gets sucked out, the red room experiences some turbulence and a harsh wind pushes away the curtain to reveal darkness... And then, a white horse appears!

And now for a bit *more* of a stretch... ??????? (I'll take this lucky pun)

In part 1 again, right after Laura whispers to Cooper, she gets sucked out through the top of the red room. And as ??????? is creating the Laurorb, it is coming out from the top of his head as well. Can ??????? pull spirits out of the red room as they get ejected, or even through his mind? Or perhaps the red room could be his mind? Maybe he is the red room.

The Ace of spades card and symbol.

Back in episode 2 when Mr. C shows that cutie Darya, the Ace of spades with the symbol on it, he tells her "That's what I'm looking for! Have you ever seen anything like this?". The symbol appears to be similar to a silhouette of "frogbug's" head, except that the antlers are slightly more bent.

As all signs seem to be pointing to Mr. C looking for the White Lodge... And being that Sarah Palmer had a frightening vision of a white horse, along with the horse sounds at the end of this part (is this "the farm?" where Ray is headed). I am led to believe that the bug might be Laura.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

There is something that is troubling me for a while.. The use of the term "with" regarding BOB.

"I will be with BOB again" Philippe Jeffries (?)

"You are still with me" Bad Coop

Everytime I think of that I think to the expression "I am with child". Everytime I thought that, even if it didn't make any sense.

Last episode did make more sense of it. BOB was expelled from Bad Coop like a child would have been. A womb. Like in a Caesarean section.

Then we've seen the scene with the experiment "giving birth" to BOB.

I don't know but I am really starting to see BOB as the child of evil. And being "with" him, in our belly, sure means something.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Do we have theories yet on how in Episode 1, Dale was in the Giants House now? Had he passed the test and left the red room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Burns's Suite wrote:Wait, wait. I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned this but is the music that plays when the Giant starts to float the same as the ending scene in FWWM?

no, that was a Requiem Mass. Forget the composer but.
lovely tune as well.

Can't complain about the music on this show. Some is already in my head and the stuff that is new I end up liking immensely.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

LateReg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.

maybe that kiss he was so keen on was a way to "mark" the mouth for entry?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

PeaksCarnivaleLost wrote:
Burns's Suite wrote:Wait, wait. I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned this but is the music that plays when the Giant starts to float the same as the ending scene in FWWM?

no, that was a Requiem Mass. Forget the composer but.
lovely tune as well.
The music in the train car is part of Cherubini's Requiem in C Minor.

The music in the end-titles is a Badalamenti composition.
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

KyleRickards wrote:Do we have theories yet on how in Episode 1, Dale was in the Giants House now? Had he passed the test and left the red room?

He seemed to only be in there temporarily, given that he flickers and then disappears. Maybe the Giant summoned him there to impart his message.

It's interesting to discover there are several places overlooking the otherworldly ocean. The Giant's black and white place, the 'Purple Room'. Possibly others?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

I think Ep 8 actually made the backstory very clear, except for one part - (1) did Bob appearing in the bubble vomited by the Experiment originally happen in 1945, and then the Giant/???? sent Laura's spirit to combat it, which we saw play out in FWWM or (2) did Bob get extracted from DoppleCoop, time travel back to 1945, and sneak himself into the bubble vomit to re-insert himself into history, whereby the Giant/???? realized this and sent Laura's spirit back in time to combat him? John Thorne thinks it is the latter. If it's the latter, then we will probably be seeing Laura alive again soon.
F*U*Tammy

Post by F*U*Tammy »

What does everyone think is the relationship between Naido and Dido? The rhyming names and the fact that they clearly exist in the same/connected dimensions (as evidenced by the purple ocean and the bell electrode-thingy) can't be coincidental. Are they sisters, each living with a different parent? I picture Naido living a life of solitude, fear, and sorrow with Mother, while Dido lives a life of joy, happiness, and wonder with Father (aka The Giant). Night vs. Day, perhaps. So much of Twin Peaks is focused on the duality of nature, and I think these two characters somehow play into that.

This episode was so beautiful. I feel like my senses were so overloaded by the visuals that I missed a lot of the dialogue (which is not good because there was already so little of it to begin with). My only complaint is that I kept thinking how beautiful the cinematography was, and it was distracting. Hopefully on second viewing I will feel a little more immersed in the action because the thrill of seeing this all the first time will have dissipated a little.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

krishnanspace wrote:
Soolsma wrote:This has probably been mentioned but the creature that spits out BOB has reversed hands or even arms (her thumbs are on the wrong side) I found that pretty cool. All in all, this episode was super overwhelming.

I think we saw the white logde... Giving birth to Laura.
That creature does not have eyes just like the woman Cooper encounters in EP 3.Also is that creature vomiting garmonbozia?
I'd say it's the same creature that killed those two youngsters in front of the glass box, and that creature might be the mother of the eyeless woman..
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:Do we have theories yet on how in Episode 1, Dale was in the Giants House now? Had he passed the test and left the red room?

He seemed to only be in there temporarily, given that he flickers and then disappears. Maybe the Giant summoned him there to impart his message.

It's interesting to discover there are several places overlooking the otherworldly ocean. The Giant's black and white place, the 'Purple Room'. Possibly others?
Thank you!

So I think I get now that the Experiment is the woman/mother and that's who killed Sam and Tracey?

Good job Dale missed her by a whisker!