Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by The Brown Lodge »

LateReg wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
LateReg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.
Well, if the boy is Leland Palmer as some (including myself) speculated, then yes. He is Bob several years after possession taking place.

I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
Just to clarify, my friend literally thought the boy was Bob...not Leland, but Bob, ie, young Frank Silva, a boy who would grow up to look like the Bob we know. I'm not saying it gels with whatever origin story we were already led to believe, but that's what my friend meant.
You mean the Robertson guy? who likes to flick matches at Leland up at the lake when he was a boy?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Agent Earle wrote:"(1) did Bob appearing in the bubble vomited by the Experiment originally happen in 1945, and then the Giant/???? sent Laura's spirit to combat it, which we saw play out in FWWM or (2) did Bob get extracted from DoppleCoop, time travel back to 1945, and sneak himself into the bubble vomit to re-insert himself into history, whereby the Giant/???? realized this and sent Laura's spirit back in time to combat him?"

God, if someone told me, say, 3-4 years ago that we would one day be, in all seriousness, debating things as stated above in relation to the next installment of TP, I'd have laughed him off and proclaimed him bonkers - David Lynch doesn't do cheezy, far-fetched, half-assed fan fiction, I'd told him as an argument. Alas, today, it's true. How did it come to this?! Can we possibly sink even lower or is this the bottom???
The ideas you quoted have absolutely nothing to do with the story as written, and I haven't seen anyone debating them - particularly scenario 2, which wasn't suggested by this episode even slightly.

Not sure why you feel a confused fan's theory reflects poorly upon the show, but... whatever!
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

The Brown Lodge wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
Well, if the boy is Leland Palmer as some (including myself) speculated, then yes. He is Bob several years after possession taking place.

I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
Just to clarify, my friend literally thought the boy was Bob...not Leland, but Bob, ie, young Frank Silva, a boy who would grow up to look like the Bob we know. I'm not saying it gels with whatever origin story we were already led to believe, but that's what my friend meant.
You mean the Robertson guy? who likes to flick matches at Leland up at the lake when he was a boy?
I speculated before that according to Twin Peaks lore, Bob was supposed to inhabit a man named Robertson first:
So we know now that Bob was sent to Earth when a portal to another dimension/world was opened by the first atomic blast in 1945. Bob most likely took his name by first inhabiting a man named Robertson, and then switched to Leland Palmer as his host, probably sometime in the late 1940's. Leland looked 50-ish in the original show so if he was born in the late 30's, or around 1940, then that would match up. It also suggests that he could be the boy who kisses the girl in the young sweethearts scene.

I did not think that this guy was Robertson because Leland said he was a "little boy" when he was possessed by Bob. If this man is Robertson then Leland hasn't even been born yet, and there is not enough time between 1956 and 1990 for Leland to become middle aged.
wpc77

Post by wpc77 »

Nighthawk wrote:
LateReg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share. A friend of mine had only one thought during the 1956 sequence. That the young boy walking with the young girl is actually Bob. It would be a neat trick, for sure, making us focus on the girl as it does. Perhaps the bug creature would get transferred into him through some sexual act? Anyway, I don't really have any theories of my own, I just found it interesting.

The strong implication is the FrogRoach came from one of the eggs spewed from the Experiment's mouth, and landed in the desert. Hence, evil
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Nighthawk wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:
LateReg wrote:
I speculated before that according to Twin Peaks lore, Bob was supposed to inhabit a man named Robertson first:
So we know now that Bob was sent to Earth when a portal to another dimension/world was opened by the first atomic blast in 1945. Bob most likely took his name by first inhabiting a man named Robertson, and then switched to Leland Palmer as his host, probably sometime in the late 1940's. Leland looked 50-ish in the original show so if he was born in the late 30's, or around 1940, then that would match up. It also suggests that he could be the boy who kisses the girl in the young sweethearts scene.

I did not think that this guy was Robertson because Leland said he was a "little boy" when he was possessed by Bob. If this man is Robertson then Leland hasn't even been born yet, and there is not enough time between 1956 and 1990 for Leland to become middle aged.
Leland said a man named Robertson flicked matches at him. This Robertson guy was never found by Hawk. Therefore, I concluded Leland was talking about BOB, who flicked matches at him in his imagination.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Nighthawk wrote: I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
I think it's valid to point out that it's not guaranteed to be an "evil" creature just because it's an icky bug... But that's not the only reason people interpreted it that way.

Even more than that, it's about the implied relationship between the creature and the Woodsman, who is broadcasting his mysterious incantation at the same time the creature is born. The connection between the two is obviously unclear, but I think most would agree that they ARE connected.

As someone above me pointed out, we are also shown Bob being created/expelled by the Experiment at the same time as a vast number of eggs... Logical conclusion being, you're not gonna want one of those in your Easter basket.
Last edited by Troubbble on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

wpc77 wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:

The strong implication is the FrogRoach came from one of the eggs spewed from the Experiment's mouth, and landed in the desert. Hence, evil
True enough, but this is an assumption that the Experiment (or the Mother) can only spew out evil beings. Granted, the Mother does not have a good track record so far, having sent Bob to Earth and senselessly killing a couple of innocent bystanders in NY, but still, I would give 'her' the benefit of a doubt :) :)
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Troubbble wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:"(1) did Bob appearing in the bubble vomited by the Experiment originally happen in 1945, and then the Giant/???? sent Laura's spirit to combat it, which we saw play out in FWWM or (2) did Bob get extracted from DoppleCoop, time travel back to 1945, and sneak himself into the bubble vomit to re-insert himself into history, whereby the Giant/???? realized this and sent Laura's spirit back in time to combat him?"

God, if someone told me, say, 3-4 years ago that we would one day be, in all seriousness, debating things as stated above in relation to the next installment of TP, I'd have laughed him off and proclaimed him bonkers - David Lynch doesn't do cheezy, far-fetched, half-assed fan fiction, I'd told him as an argument. Alas, today, it's true. How did it come to this?! Can we possibly sink even lower or is this the bottom???
The ideas you quoted have absolutely nothing to do with the story as written, and I haven't seen anyone debating them - particularly scenario 2, which wasn't suggested by this episode even slightly.

Not sure why you feel a confused fan's theory reflects poorly upon the show, but... whatever!
I think we are seeing some people who don't "get it" deciding to ridicule it through deductive means rather than approach it from an accepting perspective. Hell, I took three years of film school and I still don't "get it," but people don't want to admit that something is above them/beyond their understanding because it makes them deeply insecure. The best way to view this stuff is to just let it wash over you, maybe many times, and then wake up after the experience and analyze it like a dream. Stop being so couched in your personality and just appreciate what somebody was able to make for you to watch. Everybody thinks about themselves, and not the life of the creator and the immense happiness that was felt when they were able to bring their vision to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Troubbble wrote:

Because show, in its present form and contents, gives plenty of ground for the breeding of such and similar theories. The fans are absolutely not to blame for wanting to make sense with what they are given. And what they are given is ... never mind, I don't want to agitate people who are obviously very enthusiastic about this new "season" of "Twin Peaks". I'll see myself out.
WindUpBird

Post by WindUpBird »

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but on re-watch I noticed that the electric grating crackling sound that is heard over the credits and during the car scene wit the older couple and back in episode 3 from the lighter in Mr C's car, sounds like it could be a muffled, distorted version of the woodsman's poem. It seems to follow a similar cadence anyway...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

thedougpa wrote:
Troubbble wrote:

I think we are seeing some people who don't "get it" deciding to ridicule it through deductive means rather than approach it from an accepting perspective. Hell, I took three years of film school and I still don't "get it," but people don't want to admit that something is above them/beyond their understanding because it makes them deeply insecure. The best way to view this stuff is to just let it wash over you, maybe many times, and then wake up after the experience and analyze it like a dream. Stop being so couched in your personality and just appreciate what somebody was able to make for you to watch. Everybody thinks about themselves, and not the life of the creator and the immense happiness that was felt when they were able to bring their vision to life.

There we go again.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

wpc77 wrote:
Nighthawk wrote: I am not sure why the "bug creature" is perceived as evil. Or actually I do know. We are instinctively repulsed by insects, and particularly the idea of them crawling over our bodies, not to mention into our mouths. Does the conventional wisdom apply here though? There is no rational reason to believe whether that creature is good, evil or anything in between.
Also note how the woodsman hypnotises the townspeople so that the insect can find a host. He didn't seem good natured to me.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by thedougpa »

Agent Earle wrote:
Troubbble wrote:

Because show, in its present form and contents, gives plenty of ground for the breeding of such and similar theories. The fans are absolutely not to blame for wanting to make sense with what they are given. And what they are given is ... never mind, I don't want to agitate people who are obviously very enthusiastic about this new "season" of "Twin Peaks". I'll see myself out.
Aw, come on, please step up, I wanna know why you dislike the mythology aspects? Have you always? Cause they were always there - they deepened in fire walk with me - even more in missing pieces - and it continues here..

Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Agent Earle wrote:
Troubbble wrote:

What is the problem though? People are forming hypotheses about what is going on in the show based on the limited information that they have. One of the best things about it is that it allows you to speculate and then verify whether your predictions panned out. Did you think Twin Peaks was going to be standard TV with 100% exposition handed to you on a platter?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Agent Earle wrote:
Troubbble wrote:

Because show, in its present form and contents, gives plenty of ground for the breeding of such and similar theories.
Nah.

The fact that you can't distinguish between wild imaginings and (potentially) valid theories has nothing to do with the show or it's quality. I'm sorry you haven't been enjoying it, though.