Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Shloogorgh wrote:Has anyone mentioned that the voice ("Philip Jeffries") that Mr C calls in e2 is distorted similarly to The Woodsman's? And the voice wants to "be with Bob." And now the woodsmen have extracted Bob from Mr C.
I hadn't found the forum by episode 2, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the voice on the other end of the phone was credited to the actor of the other Philip, Philip Gerard. Who, of course, has history with MIKE.

Couldn't tell you where I read that though. Can anyone else confirm/disprove this?
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Very curious what everyone thinks about Carel Struycken being credited as "???????" Do we think the idea is that he is not playing The Giant from the original series? Or do the question marks represent The Giant's true name/identity, since "The Giant" is more of a physical description? Do you think the show will clarify one way or another by season's end?

He came off very Giant-like in his scene with Cooper, with his speech pattern and cryptic clues. But his attire in the new season is so different and if he's an agent of this other place we've seen him in, why did we see him in the Red Room in the series finale of the original series?
I wonder if they're related, but not necessarily the same character. That the one we've seen in Season 3 is an 'elder' Giant.

Also, I'm not sure where the boundaries between the various Lodges lie. Maybe the Giants can access them all?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Shloogorgh wrote:
Daliz wrote:What I'm wondering is, why is the Experiment called the Experiment? Or Experiment Model like in Ep1/2. "Experiment" points to something man-made, the cliche of experiment-gone-wrong, a-bomb experiment?
If the Experiment is somehow the ultimate evil/mother of BOB/something like that, then wouldn't she (it?) be an older entity than a (supposedly recent, definitely not ancient) scientific experiment?

I always thought the evil we're dealing with in TP is centuries old.

Maybe the experiment is just an experiment of trying to trap/control/study this source of evil.
I think the black lodge is an ancient evil, but maybe BOB is young comparatively.

Calling that creature "the experiment" does make me think that maybe she is an anthropomorphized nuclear bomb. And she gave birth to BOB, who is "the evil that men do." When BOB later took up residence in the Black Lodge, the rest of the spirits had trouble controlling him.
Of course, with the first appearance of The Experiment we assumed that she was somehow a result of an experiment with the box. Maybe we're doing something similar here, assuming that the bomb test is the experiment that created The Experiment, when maybe The Experiment was created by something much older. Maybe it's a creation born of man 'experimenting' with anything new, such as technology. Or fire.

Or maybe it's an experimental creation of some greater power, like the Giant?

Or maybe the name is a red herring.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

BigEd wrote: I'm struggling to see BOB being "expelled" from Mr. C. I've rewatched the scene several times, in slow motion, and am simply not seeing it. Does anyone have a screen cap?
It didn't happen.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

BigEd wrote:(btw: thank you to those who sort though all the noise on reddit and share the interesting stuff over on this forum. Reddit tends to give me a headache....)
+1 :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Daliz wrote:About the BOB and Laura orbs: I think the purpose of those characters faces being in those orbs is just simply so we would understand that this orbs contains the soul/spirit/essence of Laura or BOB. A visual clue for viewers. If the orbs would be just colored orbs it would be a lot more difficult to understand. It might be that at this stage BOB doesn't look like anything really, but he needs to be represented somehow.
Agree 100%.
motorcycleaupairboy

Post by motorcycleaupairboy »

Troubbble wrote:
BigEd wrote: I'm struggling to see BOB being "expelled" from Mr. C. I've rewatched the scene several times, in slow motion, and am simply not seeing it. Does anyone have a screen cap?
It didn't happen.
I didn't know that this was even in contention, but both me and my girlfriend clearly saw the image of Bob around Mr C's abdomen when he was being pawed at by the Woodsmen. The scene is admittedly dark but he is there.
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

motorcycleaupairboy wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
It didn't happen.
I didn't know that this was even in contention, but both me and my girlfriend clearly saw the image of Bob around Mr C's abdomen when he was being pawed at by the Woodsmen. The scene is admittedly dark but he is there.
I think Troubbble means that although we saw Bob emerge, it's not confirmed/definite that he left the doppelganger, or if he's still with him following the intervention of the woodsmen.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

DeepBlueSeed wrote: Of course, with the first appearance of The Experiment we assumed that she was somehow a result of an experiment with the box. Maybe we're doing something similar here, assuming that the bomb test is the experiment that created The Experiment, when maybe The Experiment was created by something much older. Maybe it's a creation born of man 'experimenting' with anything new, such as technology. Or fire.

Or maybe it's an experimental creation of some greater power, like the Giant?

Or maybe the name is a red herring.
I don't think the Experiment/Mother was created during the first nuclear blast or at any time in human history. It's probably as old as time itself. It merely got a better access to our world as the blast opened the rift wider than before.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I think the Woodsman was looking for BOB. 'Gotta light?'. Remember how BOB used to flick matches at Leland, not to mention the other fire symbolism associated with BOB.

Now wondering how ''there's fire where you're going'' will fit into this. It sounds like something the Log Lady would say.
Nighthawk wrote: I don't think the Experiment/Mother was created during the first nuclear blast or at any time in human history. It's probably as old as time itself. It merely got a better access to our world as the blast opened the rift wider than before.
I like to think that time is a very earthly construct and means little to them.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

baxter wrote:In fact, this may mark the point where I find the old Twin Peaks dated and hard to watch in light of the new one. I've never felt that before, but this new show has just moved the whole thing somewhere else for me.
+1.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

What really beats me is that convenience store not having an upstairs floor.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Saela wrote:What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
We are obviously supposed to be kept guessing here because otherwise the Bob-orb would have just clearly flown away from bad Coops body. It's possible that the Woodsmen revived Bad Coop at the last possible second before Bob was going to permanently depart from his body.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

Nighthawk wrote:
Saela wrote:What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
We are obviously supposed to be kept guessing here because otherwise the Bob-orb would have just clearly flown away from bad Coops body. It's possible that the Woodsmen revived Bad Coop at the last possible second before Bob was going to permanently depart from his body.
True, that's a possibility. I guess we'll find out sooner or later :)