Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 8 - Gotta light? (SPOILERS)

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

Saela wrote:What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
Storewise it establishes a link to the BOB blob that appears later, the idea that he actually physically exists rather than being purely spiritual.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
motorcycleaupairboy

Post by motorcycleaupairboy »

Soolsma wrote:What really beats me is that convenience store not having an upstairs floor.
As above so below?
sackboy97
Roadhouse Member

Post by sackboy97 »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:Storewise it establishes a link to the BOB blob that appears later, the idea that he actually physically exists rather than being purely spiritual.
I mean, can we say for sure that the orb was physical?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jerry Horne wrote:Please let me see this episode in a movie theater before I die.
I felt like I was in a movie theater. Man oh man, that was immersive, beautiful, thrilling, haunting. This is up there with ep. 29 for me. I truly felt a lot of love during the Laura egg scene with the music and all, a feeling that has been mostly absent throughout s3 so far, as opposed to the originals.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Soolsma wrote:What really beats me is that convenience store not having an upstairs floor.
This confused me as well. However in going back to watch it, in 1956 timeline, if the boy and girl are in fact walking by the same convenience store, you can see there was an addition built above it. I think the implication there is that the woodsmen built the level above the convenience store subsequent to their arrival in 1945.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

thefifthlizard wrote:
bastia wrote:Is ?????/giant the magician?
You mean "the magician longs to see"
And the atomic blast ''one chance out between two worlds'''?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

writersblock wrote:Okay this was not my initial thoughts but right now I think we didn't witness the birth of Bob but what happened to him after he was expelled from Evil Cooper.

Bob is cast back to 1945 and is causing mayhem.

GIant is worried and plucks Laura out of the Lodge - she has previous in terms of stopping Bob getting what he wants... and sends her after him.

Is this what causes the discrepancies in The Secret History of Twin Peaks?

Is the second half now in an alternate timeline... remember suddenly there were different people in the Double R at the end of Episode 7?

Probably not - and I will likely change my mind again in 5 minutes :D
I've been going back and forth on this theory as well, but the more I think of it, the more this version of events makes sense. I don't think what we watched was a birth, but rather a "Rebirth" , and that the evil that was "Bob" is now starting anew... possibly even with a different look/face/etc. in that rebirth timeline. It could also explain why Laura was "sucked out" into the real world in front of Dale in the lodge -- it was her spirit getting re-purposed in this alternate timeline.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Haven't seen anyone reference this, but part of the Woodsmen'a ritual seems to be taking the blood from Mr. C's chest wound and smearing it on his face. Does this have any sort of correlation in any real-world cultures/myths?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

sackboy97 wrote:
DeepBlueSeed wrote:Storewise it establishes a link to the BOB blob that appears later, the idea that he actually physically exists rather than being purely spiritual.
I mean, can we say for sure that the orb was physical?
This is Twin Peaks. It difficult to say anything for sure.

But, essentially, physical or not, it's helping to establish an alternative form for BOB, something that more closely resembles the eggs we've seen elsewhere (or perhaps an ectoplasmic womb), rather than the usual 'spirit' form we normally see reflected in mirrors or visions.

For what it's worth, with the idea that the woodsmen are Black Lodge midwives of a sort, or helpers, I think it easier to imagine that BOB is gone, has been given 'birth' to (rebirth). But I can still reconcile the idea that BOB might still be inside, 'gestating'.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
Cheater_07

Post by Cheater_07 »

Been reading on this forum for a while. It's so cool we can all watch and come together online to share our reactions to new Twin Peaks episodes!!

This was craaaazyy stuff, coolest episode by far imo!! It was an audiovisual pure Lynch experience, congrats to those who were given the chance to watch in a theatre.

Hearing that Slow 30's Room track in this episode made me smile. I've heard that a 1000 times on my vinyl.

Anyway, one thing I wanted to add...because I haven't seen it mentioned on any of these 58 pages...is this:
http://www.itemeditions.com/catalogue/l ... ge213.html

A woodcut by Lynch from 2014, and definitely one of my favorites. He has now brought it (and many other images in this new series) to life on the tv screen.
karlas_marxas

Post by karlas_marxas »

Troubbble wrote:
Daliz wrote:About the BOB and Laura orbs: I think the purpose of those characters faces being in those orbs is just simply so we would understand that this orbs contains the soul/spirit/essence of Laura or BOB. A visual clue for viewers. If the orbs would be just colored orbs it would be a lot more difficult to understand. It might be that at this stage BOB doesn't look like anything really, but he needs to be represented somehow.
Agree 100%.
Well, BOB is an evil spirit that inhabits human bodies. But how about Laura? There is no clear equivalence here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

"We lived above it. I mean it like it is, like it sounds"

Maybe they floated above it, in the air. We saw some of them descend from the air in the desert.

Maybe their meetings take place in a room like the Red room, we can't see it with our bare eyes, but it is there, above the store.

Just thinking out loud...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Haven't seen anyone reference this, but part of the Woodsmen'a ritual seems to be taking the blood from Mr. C's chest wound and smearing it on his face. Does this have any sort of correlation in any real-world cultures/myths?
I am barely into it, but Mircea Eliade's Shamanism has (for obvious reasons) some details on something similar on page 57 regarding nocturnal initiation by Dyak shamans of Borneo: "The candidate lies on the veranda as if ill, and the other manang make passes over him through night. It is believed that this teaches the future shaman to discover sicknesses and remedies by palpating the patient. During this time the old shamans may also introduce magical "power" into the candidate's body in the form of pebbles or other objects". :shock: To be fair, let us not accuse this or any other indigenous culture of any wrong, this is just a strange parallel of what is going on here. We are though definitely dealing with a case of some degenerated spiritual tradition.

http://www.amazon.com/Shamanism-Techniq ... 0691119422
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Also, Just wanted to add that I'm glad I'm not the only one Who sometimes was reminded at Carnivàle. The bomb and the scene with senorita Dido before ??????? comes onto the screen in paricular :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Saela wrote:What would be the point of that moment if BOB would still be with the doppelganger after that? Just to show us something we already know, which is that BOB is inside of him?
We did see a staircase at the right edge of the convenience store, didn't we?