Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Connections to TSHOTP (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It was pointed out in the Part 8 thread that the choice of the 8/05/56 date in Part 8 is far from arbitrary. While the connection to the events seen on the show is unclear, this date was the real-world day that Mack Ray Edwards abducted and killed 13-year-old Donald Lee Baker and 11-year-old Brenda Howell near the Arroyo Seco / Devil's Gate area in Ca. This event is referenced in TSHoTP on p. 260 as being possibly linked to Parsons's experiments -- none of the parties or dates are specifically named, but the reference to a construction worker who heard voices and killed two children, later taking his own life in prison, are pretty explicit.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It was pointed out in the Part 8 thread that the choice of the 8/05/56 date in Part 8 is far from arbitrary. While the connection to the events seen on the show is unclear, this date was the real-world day that Mack Ray Edwards abducted and killed 13-year-old Donald Lee Baker and 11-year-old Brenda Howell near the Arroyo Seco / Devil's Gate area in Ca. This event is referenced in TSHoTP on p. 260 as being possibly linked to Parsons's experiments -- none of the parties or dates are specifically named, but the reference to a construction worker who heard voices and killed two children, later taking his own life in prison, are pretty explicit.
Ha! Very interesting.. i was actually looking up and reading about those horrible murders last week but i didn't take notice of the date being the very same.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

My random occult-y post for the night, kind of circuitous, but I was prepping to read more about The Secret Tradition in Arthurian Legend with a book called The Secret History of the World by Mark Booth

The entry on the meaning of the term "secret history" in Wikipedia is interesting- a "revisionist history claimed to have been suppressed, forgotten or ignored"

So SHotW is about the history of progress from the merging of ancient myths as possible realities to the information passed down by the occult teachings, and how they all weave into the fabric of modern thought and practice.

Remember in Access Guide that Cooper attended the Twin Peaks Theosophical Society Meeting?

Didja know around that early scientists were applying the approach to supernatural stuff, like treating 'etheric currents' as something measurable as electromagnetic current, soundwaves or xrays? Thomas Edison (inventor of the PHONOGRAPH, father of all recorded sound) and Alexander Graham bell (telephone inventor) were esoteric Freemasons and theosophists interested in all of the supernatural/psychic things. Edison wanted a RADIO that could tune into the spirit word. The TV was invented to capture psychic influences on gases fluctuating in front of a cathode ray tube.

Darwin was inspired to his theory of evolution from his interest in Sanskrit texts (many ancient people wrote about fish people.)
Newton and Tesla both made their breakthroughs because of explorations of ideas concerning the etheric dimensions and alchemy. Newton was into sacred geometry. His rival in devising the calculus Gottfried Leibniz was fascinated by Kabbalistic number mysticism. The inventor of the barometer invented Rosicrucianism.

Alchemist Jean Baptiiste van Hemont coined the word gas, separated gases, and wrote passionately about reincarnation and in studying the healing power of magnets and defining electromagnetism, coined the word ELECTRICITY. He said "There is a book inside us written by the finger of God through which we can read all things."

Francis Bacon, father of inductive reasoning, said "Nature is a labyrinth in which the haste you move through it will make you lose your way." The scientists plays a game of CHESS with nature. He must put deceitful nature in "check." He believed in astrological influences on the spirit, and ethereal intermediaries between spirit and matter that exists in auras (so did Newton.) He believed you had to approach the universe with a childlike mind before you receive wisdom and understanding.

And as I posted about before, the Vesica Pescis represents the Etheric Field- the "bridge between two world," and symbol on the Chalice Well at Glastonbury Grove. Holy wells, secret caves, temples- all portals for the spirits, cracks in the fabric of the space time continuum "They are aligned with the astrological phenomena (early Christians were still astronomical) to receive an influx from spirits at specific times" (such as when Jupiter and Saturn conjoin. BTW, did you know that pine trees are dense with lead, the metal associated with planet Saturn?)

Michael Myer, Rosicrucian alchemical writer, said "To drink the interior life in a long draught is to see the higher life. He who discovers the interior discovers what is in space."

We haven't lived very long outside the "mind before matter" way of perceiving the world. The key to scientific discovery has always come from within, using esoteric training to access inner dimensions and altered states.

Metatron's Cube is another powerful sacred geometrical construction, which reminds me of the experiment cube in NYC- I reallly hope Part 9 takes us to the cube again!

All that said, I wonder if Mark Frost chose to call it Secret History because he had alternate storylines he was fighting for during season 1 and 2 and Secret History was just his way of remembering things his way!
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Gonna guess whatever weird things happening at the falls in the book have something to do with the door Cooper opens up in ep 17 at the Great Northern.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

The Secret History is a really good book to go back and glance at once in a while, i read it once when it came out, then once slowly during the course of the series (starting around the episode 8 break i think) and i started to read the early chapters again. there's a lot of interesting parallels and strands of mythology that appears different in hindsight of seeing the series.

one thing i noticed now (as i wrote in the timeline thread) is that the first entry is dated September 20, 1805. somewhere between that date and September 25 Lewis meets up with the Indian chief Twister Hair and his tribe and is given a pouch containing the green Owl Cave ring and a hint that it is connected to the Spirit World. between that date and October 3 Lewis and a team of his men hike up the two twin mountains and somewhere along the line they come across a certain location indicated to them by a recent drawing on a native map (similiar to the one Hawk rolls up in ep. 11). it becomes clear that Lewis here enters The Waiting Room or some form of the lodges where in he meets a "silent man" (The Fireman?). i would think the location of the treshold is that place 253 yards east of Jack Rabbit's Palace. i'm not quite clear on where Glastonberry Grove is located but we know that Jack Rabbit's Palace is on top of Blue Pine Mountain. when Lewis finally does return in sound mind and reunites with Clark the date is October 3.

i find this very neat as this is roughly the same calender days and month(s) as The Return takes place. i'm not sure if it means anything but it is a nice parallel if nothing else.. everything will proceed cyclical.

oh one more cool thing.. during his intense trip Lewis talks about the "mysterious force Benjamin Franklin had stumbled upon".. as MIKE would say - eee-leee-ctricity