This Is The Street

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Re: This Is The Street

Post by MichaelPW »

jina wrote:V2, by the way seems a bit confused and tired.
She seems to be in a "I have bought a watch"-state. And she builds a connection to the "man, who lives here" and the "the man, who lives next door". We have an interesting reaction of Sue (?): as if the word "Crimp" would remind her on something or someone, respectively.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

jina wrote:it's always the person that decides his/her feelings in the end.
if someone tells you for example something about a person and then you start thinking about that person, you'll probably fall in love with this person. but it is you who 'caused it. not the others.
It depends on how love is defined. There exist quite different concepts of love. In some religions, for example, you love everyone as a member by definition. In other religions - maybe - you love noone as a member by definition. There are people I assume who excluded the concept of love of their world of thoughts. There is the biological selective love, in which youngness of the female gender and strength of the male gender play an important role. There is the pure "I think very much of a certain person and his actions" love. And there is this romantic love, which is probably a combination of "thinking about and liking very much a certain person" and sexual wants.

Ones` "decision" to love someone also depends on ones experiences. Of course, one can guide ones experiences to a certain degree.

I don`t know how it is from a female point of view, but from a male point of view - with regard to the romantic love - bodily appearance, behaviour and attention are very significant factors to fall in love with a woman as a heterosexual man.

The "I want to hold your hand" in MTTH seems to have a certain relationship to the phantom`s "sexual" ideas. On the other side - in IE - he seems to be more involved in thoughts like "the way how things shall be" than in sexual thoughts.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Carl wrote:IMO, people don't fall in love with an objective, other person, at all.
Yes, at least with respect to the romantic love. But think about the unified field David Lynch talks about, for example. In this philosophy I think there is oneness, familarity and love on a deep level of consciousness. Should it be true everyone loves everyone on this level.
They project onto someone of the appropriate age, sex and mere appearance that image which they themselves seek, that Persona that will answer their own, quite selfish, emotional needs and then they fall in love with that image.
Yes, important factors with regard to the romantic love indeed. But I would propose an interest in what is behind the Persona, as well. An interest in the way the one is with whom one falls in love with. And I think we maybe have a representation of this in the confrontation scene between "Sue" and the Sides. Devon only presents his "mask" Billy, but "Sue" wants to know what behind this mask is. She says something like "There`s more.".
Of course, there's that other kind of love, based more on affection than desire, but it's just good fortune if the original, deluded, romantic impulse is able to survive long enough to morph into it.
I wonder whether love based on affection is more often a "one-way-ticket" than love based on desire. And whether with love based on affection comes more "frozenness" of the Persona than with love based on desire.
Sometimes, for a time, the delusion and self-deception are mutual. As Humbert creates a image of desire and projects this onto Lolita,, she, meanwhile, has concocted her own dream image and projected it onto Humbert. It all works as a love story, for a brief time, until she sees through her projected image and seeks to escape. Humbert, though, has 'that everlasting love' .
Isn`t Humbert just a toy to play with for Lolita, after or while, respectively, she loves the one who speaks to Humbert several times?
'Bought...Sold...'
Love is created in movies by choosing a person of a certain age, sex and appearance , carefully filming them as they enact an engaging series of behavior displays ( kindness, courage, loyalty...whatever is likely to turn the target audience on) The wonderful little people watching in the dark then are enabled to project their own desires onto this tailor-made Persona and...a star is born.
And when there is an actor/an actress with a special kind of behaviour and attention - like Romy Schneider or Julia Ormond - a super-star is born. :)
What I wonder is why Nikki's husband wants this to happen. Does he? Is he being sincere in warning Devon away? I doubt it.
When there is that scene in which Nikki says "It sounds like a dialogue from our script" and then warns Devon, the next scene is as if Devon heard such a warning the first time. As if the warning of Nikki`s husband didn`t take place. Her husband is mentally present on the set - watching over the bonds of marriage. Nikki tries to prevent Devon for running into the trap, but he runs and runs as Billy.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

They project onto someone of the appropriate age, sex and mere appearance that image which they themselves seek, that Persona that will answer their own, quite selfish, emotional needs and then they fall in love with that image.
Yes, important factors with regard to the romantic love indeed. But I would propose an interest in what is behind the Persona, as well. An interest in the way the one is with whom one falls in love with.
nobody knows why people fall in love with a certain person. there are so many reasons.
think about when it happens to you. An interest in the way you are with the other and how your persona is changing from the other is one of it and it happens but,
there are so many other reasons, too.
sometimes you fall in love with the idea of falling in love, sometimes you love a face and a voice because it reminds you of something or someone. so many different reasons...
What I wonder is why Nikki's husband wants this to happen. Does he? Is he being sincere in warning Devon away? I doubt it.
When there is that scene in which Nikki says "It sounds like a dialogue from our script" and then warns Devon, the next scene is as if Devon heard such a warning the first time. As if the warning of Nikki`s husband didn`t take place. Her husband is mentally present on the set - watching over the bonds of marriage. Nikki tries to prevent Devon for running into the trap, but he runs and runs as Billy.

yes, actually it seems that her husband talks to Devon on purpose.

there 's a set of circumstances that helps this affair to happen.
And the way her husband talks to Devon is one of it. Nikki's listening to their conversation, so she is affected too.

all these, create an atmosphere that triggers their reaction to it.
but it's always them who make the decision to fall in love. this is something others can't make them do. that was my point, but ok, it's a bit excessive to say it because people are just people and fall in lover without much thinking.