ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction, based upon all parts released to date?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Like or Love
86%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
9%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
3%
Dislike or Hate
2%

Total votes: 198
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnsusername »

dontlooknow wrote:the only problem of twin peaks is (and always has been) that it's not funny.
its attempts at humour rarely go well.

apart from that it is amazing TV in every aspect
For you, you mean. I like it's humour. I think this series has been quite funny! Funnier than the original, too.
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

What I've seen has far exceeded my highest hopes, and they were pretty high. My only misgiving is the expectation that we haven't seen the last of Jim Belushi. But compared to my problems with the middle stretch of Season 2, I can live with that.

I know how this will sound, but to me, Season 3 feels like actual magic. A counter spell. For real.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

dontlooknow wrote:the only problem of twin peaks is (and always has been) that it's not funny.

This. Very few things in Twin Peaks were funny to me. The humour was never the strong part of Twin Peaks. The core of Twin Peaks was always the darkness. So for me episode 8 is a big part of that core, as is FWWM.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Calderon wrote:

This. Very few things in Twin Peaks were funny to me. The humour was never the strong part of Twin Peaks. The core of Twin Peaks was always the darkness. So for me episode 8 is a big part of that core, as is FWWM.
I dunno, I think Episode 8 is one of the funniest episodes of the series. The Waiter scene still has me in stitches every time. But it's that off-kilter humor I enjoy, not the hammy slapstick Andy/Dick/On the Air-style stuff that L/F have an unfortunate (IMO) soft spot for.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Calderon wrote:

I dunno, I think Episode 8 is one of the funniest episodes of the series. The Waiter scene still has me in stitches every time. But it's that off-kilter humor I enjoy, not the hammy slapstick Andy/Dick/On the Air-style stuff that L/F have an unfortunate (IMO) soft spot for.
I think we are talking about different episodes. I was talking about episode 8 in season 3. Maybe it was a bit misleading, because I've also mentioned FWWM.

But my post is not necessarily a contradiction to yours. There are very funny parts in Twin Peaks. My big favorit alyways was Agent Cooper and the lama. Hilarious with perfect comedic timing. Just a very short scene. Perfect. But most of the humour in season 3 didn't work for me. Truman's wife, Wally Brando, Andy and Lucy, most of the stuff with Dougie, just silly and embarassing. But even there is some very funny stuff like "Jade give two rides" and I always have to laugh when DougieCoop sees a badge.

But again, for me the dark parts are the most engaging and memorable. There should be some humour, but please no more half an hour drawn-out stuff with Dougie. Like in episode 7 that was the right amount of Dougie. Hopefully Lynch will stick with it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ahh ok. The new show has even further complicated the vocabulary of being a TP fan! I generally use L/F's preferred "parts" terminology for the new show. It's a tad pretentious, but it helps keep things straight.

I mostly agree with you about the examples of "humor" in the new series that you mentioned, with the notable exception of Dougie. I don't view those scenes as strictly comedic. There's an undercurrent of displacement and loss to Kyle's performance that adds an extra dimension to the scenes (other posters' comparisons to Tati and Being There feel apt). I guess as general a rule, for me, when DKL is doing comedy in conjunction with anything else (suspense, quirkiness, melancholy, darkness), it works like gangbusters for me. It's only the scenes where he tries to do straight comedy (most of the sheriff's station stuff from the new series that you mentioned) that he loses me.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Johnsusername wrote:This is the best television I've ever seen. I absolutely love it. It's more than what I could have hoped for (so far). There MIGHT have been a sight dip in episodes 4 and 5. But gee golly gosh - 1-3 and 6-8 were majestic.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding themselves JUST wanting to watch TP? At the minute all other television seems dull and redundant.

I feel sorry for the people who aren't liking it. Twin Peaks isn't ours anymore - just like Bob it's been let loose into the world!

"This is the water, and this is the well." Better than anything that appeared in seasons 1 & 2 IMO

(I say all that as a fan since it originally aired through FWWM through Lynch's career through rewatches and constant listening to the soundtrack/Julee Criuse albums and the associated TP books).
As yourself I'm an old timer in the regards of Twin Peaks and David Lynch in general I suppose. And I can only second everything you said here except I'm not sure about the dip in quality there but this is by far the most rewarding thing I have ever seen and riveting. I can't even watch 10 minutes of other television or any web series or anything for that matter as it's all just sort of washed out,distant and frankly irrelevant. Season three has surpassed my wildest dreams of what it could be and as I keep reminding people on Twitter constantly , We are not even halfway through yet! That's insane!Absolutely wondrously insane.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Johnsusername wrote:This is the best television I've ever seen. I absolutely love it. It's more than what I could have hoped for (so far). There MIGHT have been a sight dip in episodes 4 and 5. But gee golly gosh - 1-3 and 6-8 were majestic.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding themselves JUST wanting to watch TP? At the minute all other television seems dull and redundant.

I feel sorry for the people who aren't liking it. Twin Peaks isn't ours anymore - just like Bob it's been let loose into the world!

"This is the water, and this is the well." Better than anything that appeared in seasons 1 & 2 IMO

(I say all that as a fan since it originally aired through FWWM through Lynch's career through rewatches and constant listening to the soundtrack/Julee Criuse albums and the associated TP books).
YES! I can't be bothered with other films, tv or books. I can pull myself away for a moment, then I want to go back to the universe. It's like Disneyland- the hyperreality of Twin Peaks.

Don't forget that there would be no Woodsman on the radio with 1 & 2 tho so you can't knock the source material :wink: And there's already been moments as bad as Little Nicky thoughtbubble/Cheerleader Nadine corkscrew, I don't think you can compare unless you didn't see Peaks when it was shiny and new kinda like no one who wasn't there can really imagine how daring Elvis was- but apart from even that shock value, no one will ever be Elvis or outdo Elvis (or like Michael Horse says, it died young- a James Dean thing.)
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sylvia_north wrote: And there's already been moments as bad as Little Nicky thoughtbubble/Cheerleader Nadine corkscrew, I don't think you can compare unless you didn't see Peaks when it was shiny and new kinda like no one who wasn't there can really imagine how daring Elvis was- but apart from even that shock value, no one will ever be Elvis or outdo Elvis (or like Michael Horse says, it died young- a James Dean thing.)
But the new series is the equivalent of late-'70s Elvis having a career rebirth as Joey Ramone, instead of putting on weight and playing Vegas. ;) (No disrespect to the King...this kind of thing is almost inconceivable!)
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Towards Dislike
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ahh ok. The new show has even further complicated the vocabulary of being a TP fan! I generally use L/F's preferred "parts" terminology for the new show. It's a tad pretentious, but it helps keep things straight.

I mostly agree with you about the examples of "humor" in the new series that you mentioned, with the notable exception of Dougie. I don't view those scenes as strictly comedic. There's an undercurrent of displacement and loss to Kyle's performance that adds an extra dimension to the scenes (other posters' comparisons to Tati and Being There feel apt). I guess as general a rule, for me, when DKL is doing comedy in conjunction with anything else (suspense, quirkiness, melancholy, darkness), it works like gangbusters for me. It's only the scenes where he tries to do straight comedy (most of the sheriff's station stuff from the new series that you mentioned) that he loses me.
That's such an interesting thought to me about "straight comedy" falling flat! The very particular reason that it is interesting is because I think the reason why those scenes work for me in the new series, such as those at the sheriff's station, is because I don't ever see them as straight comedy. I actually do see them as more fascinating than that, as though there is something else happening there simultaneously. I wonder what that something is, but there very much seems to me to be layers to peel back in those scenes, which reveal...I don't know, actually! But that's just the feeling I have and why I'm happy to see those more overtly comedic scenes so far. I feel that there is a melancholy there this time around, at the very least.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

the culmination of Lynch's work
Mark and David have created magic
i have ZERO complaints

it's perfection
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The jury's still out whether that "magic", as some have called it, will be truly worthy of the name "Twin Peaks". I have my doubts.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

At first my feelings were heavily mixed and leaning towards dislike. I was really disappointed in the new series because we haven't seen much of the town or inhabitants (I miss Audrey!) and thought that it felt different from the original series. The story is very slow-paced (which is sometimes frustrating) and many storylines and characters appear only once per episode - if at all. For this reason, I find it difficult to connect to the new characters. Besides, I find many of the new characters annoying, especially those angry, bossy women (Jade, Janey-E, Doris). I don't like the Dougie storyline and think that it drags unnecessarily. But, there were a few things I liked, for example I absolutely loved all of evil Cooper's scenes and also thought the series was getting better with each episode because the story finally seemed to go somewhere. Then I watched part 8 and was absolutely bored, frustrated and disappointed and more leaning towards "dislike".

However, I decided to give the series a second chance and rewatched all 8 episodes. Since I already knew what was going to happen this time and had no expectations or hopes, I was less impatient and more forgiving but also better at paying attention in scenes that seemed unimportant, therefore I started warming up to more aspects of the story and was also able to sit through episode 8 without getting bored (I even liked some parts of it). So now, I'm feeling mixed and leaning towards like.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of poll before the premiere of Part 9:
rolling_poll_pts_1-8.jpg
rolling_poll_pts_1-8.jpg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Like or Love: 87% (160 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 7% (13 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 4% (7 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 2% (4 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 184