Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by madeleineferguson »

I don't have a screen grab of the note from Garland... but in the middle of the first note is a drawing of the Twin Peaks and above the right peak, there is a very small rendering of DoppelCoop's bug. Anyone have a screen grab of the note?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

kosis wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:i actually loved

WHAT HAPPENS IN SEASON 2
My favorite line as well. Loved it.

Might not be the most PC of lines ever but screw it. With the build up of the crying Albert's Fruitcake line was the funniest for me. Lillard killed it with that scene too.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:On the rewatch re the shoes... I think it is not a recall for Cooper. Just the flag stirs something in him. The flashy red shoes on shapely legs guides his attention to the outlet, which also stirs something in his memory. (But I do think the red pump is a Lynch nod to Audrey, just not related to the plot of Cooper's awakening.)
Yes, I think it's definitely a nod to the pilot, whether for Coop or not I'm not sure - but definitely a nod from Lynch (and maybe for fans). Did you see the Vanity Fair article yet?
I did! Well, I just did. And I completely forgot she does wear them in the "Good morning, Colonel Cooper" scene. But I doubt Lynch would be as clued into that as a reference... Mostly just using his own strong impressions. I have to say I'm so surprised by how much importance the Hornes have had in this, and I only think it's going to keep going. And in regards to the questions you were asking about filming and actors... Don't get caught up in it. None of them knew the context in how this would be entirely filmed... Everyone is going to get their respected due.
I like how the Vanity Fair article showed the shot from the pilot alongside the shot from the new series and also how it reminded us Diane is wearing red shoes (albeit flats) in this episode. I still think it's an Audrey nod myself, though.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:(Somewhat related note: No one has mentioned the kid Richard ran over in several weeks. I generally don't mind this show being all over the place, but within the world of the TP sherff's station, you'd think Truman would be more concerned with solving the killing of a local kid as opposed to following up tangents from a 25-year-old closed case.)
While It's true that Andy's presence in Part 9 made me wonder why we didn't see him talking about his investigation into the hit and run vehicle, it hasn't really been "weeks," of course. It's just been a day since he talked to that guy who failed to meet up with him. I'm wondering if he already told Truman about it offscreen, and if the investigation is under control and we'll hear about its progress next week (it could still be the same day as this Part), or in typical Andy fashion if he hasn't gotten a chance to tell anyone about it yet. It's a little odd, but if we were watching it as a continuous movie in which it's easier to grasp the timeline and didn't have to wait weeks in between episodes, I don't think it would feel all that odd. Plot points are generally revisited in the proper, natural time frame, in my opinion.
Last edited by LateReg on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.45.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.45.21 AM.png (988.92 KiB) Viewed 10265 times
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

madeleineferguson wrote:I don't have a screen grab of the note from Garland... but in the middle of the first note is a drawing of the Twin Peaks and above the right peak, there is a very small rendering of DoppelCoop's bug. Anyone have a screen grab of the note?
Wow true!
Left peak, red circle.
Right peak, Bad Coop's bug and over it a red crescent moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

yaxomoxay wrote:Most disturbing thing in episode 9 is that the girl's beer can is obviously empty and she keeps drinking from it.

like the lucky7insurance assistant with empty coffee cups
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:I love Bill's site it's so charming in a 90s way! http://thesearchforthezone.com/
Does the "click here to read older journal entries" link do anything besides display static and play the TP theme music?
There is clearly something else hidden over the static it's a voice but I can't make out. Someone needs to run it through audio software. Very nice find! Can't wait to decipher this one!
camel1206

Post by camel1206 »

Thanks to a Reddit poster, if you fast forward to around 9:10, you will hear Jack something is security threat, some more talking that then gets muffled out.....

The fun this is, thanks to going to haunted places and listening to EVP, this stuff is so much fun to dissect.

http://thesearchforthezone.com/media/radio.mp4
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

as one that has struggled with nicotine addiction my entire life
off and on
Gordon's eyeing Diane's cigarette was amazing

i know i know
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

wAtChLaR wrote:i actually loved

WHAT HAPPENS IN SEASON 2
Imagine if that had been the episode title quote. We would have broken our brains trying to figure out that one :mrgreen:
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

yaxomoxay wrote:Most disturbing thing in episode 9 is that the girl's beer can is obviously empty and she keeps drinking from it.

:D
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Jonah wrote:Forgot to add - I really like how it's developing the Bobby/Garland connection. Very moving.

I hope we see Audrey soon. And Laura again.

Is the hum Josie or not? Hmmmm.

Not much else to add. A good episode, a little slow, but moving things forward and connecting back.

Who else thinks Janey-E is going to go to Twin Peaks with Dougie/Cooper?
Somebody mentioned the possibility, and I wonder if there's something to it, that Cooper might decide to continue being "Dougie" if and when he regains full control of his faculties. Not that I think he'd pretend not to have remembered who he is, but rather that he might - once he's done whatever he can to thwart DoppelCooper and any other Black Lodge types - decide not to return to the FBI or stay in Twin Peaks. Not only is he likely to feel a lot of guilt and trauma over everything that's happened, but I wonder if he'd also feel like he owes something to Janey-E and Jim, and he might have hoped to have a family some day back before the events of the original series turned his life completely upside-down.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

As far as Johnny Horne goes, I like to think of it like The Missing Pieces from FWWM where the events in the town act as thematic overtures to that day of Laura's life. Johnny is wearing pajamas very similar to the ones Coop wears in the final scene from the original series as Sylvia is screaming "Who let him out?" just like Cooper's doppelgänger was let out of the lodge. I don't know where that could lead into because i don't know where the show is heading, but it's something to keep in mind.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Jonah wrote:Forgot to add - I really like how it's developing the Bobby/Garland connection. Very moving.

I hope we see Audrey soon. And Laura again.

Is the hum Josie or not? Hmmmm.

Not much else to add. A good episode, a little slow, but moving things forward and connecting back.

Who else thinks Janey-E is going to go to Twin Peaks with Dougie/Cooper?
Somebody mentioned the possibility, and I wonder if there's something to it, that Cooper might decide to continue being "Dougie" if and when he regains full control of his faculties. Not that I think he'd pretend not to have remembered who he is, but rather that he might - once he's done whatever he can to thwart DoppelCooper and any other Black Lodge types - decide not to return to the FBI or stay in Twin Peaks. Not only is he likely to feel a lot of guilt and trauma over everything that's happened, but I wonder if he'd also feel like he owes something to Janey-E and Jim, and he might have hoped to have a family some day back before the events of the original series turned his life completely upside-down.
i love this

i know i know