Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 9 - This is the chair (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

dropkick23 wrote:
homieonice wrote:Janie-E..

what about the Janie-A , B . C and D ?
Good question. How many times has Coop been thru this loop.
[Annie Blackburn Cooper Dale Janey-E
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

eyeboogers wrote:Could the "Penguin" referenced by Sky Ferreira be Annie Blackburn and her past (possibly present) as a nun?
There's also the joke Cooper told to Annie about the tuxedo.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

kafa81 wrote:I haven't read TSHOTP in a while...but I just watched the trailer again...and the package is sent on Aug 3rd 2016 to Tammy....and in the book Cole mentions that the dossier was found at a crime scene on July 17 2016... and TPTR is set in 2014 I believe...right? Even if it is set in 2016, it is currently Sept 29th according to Hastings signature on the picture where he identified Major Briggs...so does that mean that Tammy has already investigated the dossier? It just happened off screen? OR are we going to get a time jump during the 2nd half of TPTR? :?:
Okay, here's the reason I feel that the events in TSHOTP have to have occurred already, and I can't believe no one else has mentioned this. In the book, Tammy only seems to have initially the vaguest notion of who Dale Cooper is/was and is largely stonewalled with a bunch of redacted information about his activities. It's as if she's just being introduced to him. In the show, she gets to meet a person who apparently is Cooper, who resembles him physically in every way, except that there's some discrepancy about his fingerprints. Nowhere in the book does she say, "Cooper .. oh, yeah, that's the guy I either met or met his exact double in South Carolina." Ergo, the book took place first.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I wouldn't bet on the events of the book jiving with the show. Perhaps the whole dossier was just a narrative device created for the book.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

What if Diane was merely waiting for a message from her boyfriend/significant other? I am not saying that the other explanations are groundless, far from it, but maybe it really is the simplest one. She has someone back home, and she had just been on her way there, before they had to change the flight plams mid-air and land in Buckhorn. The way the scene played out initially to me appeared as it Mr. C was simply trolling her. Diane was on her way out of this event vortex, maybe this will now keep her in for the rest of it as it unfolds.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Ross wrote:I wouldn't bet on the events of the book jiving with the show. Perhaps the whole dossier was just a narrative device created for the book.
agreed. that has been staple in all peaks books
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

BigEd wrote:When Bushnell was making a fist, it reminded me of Lil in FWWM. I need to rewatch. Did Chet say that Lil's fist indicated that the local law enforcement would be belligerent? Of was that the sour face?
Thank you, and I think I was seing things :)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

docLEXfisti wrote:
BigEd wrote:When Bushnell was making a fist, it reminded me of Lil in FWWM. I need to rewatch. Did Chet say that Lil's fist indicated that the local law enforcement would be belligerent? Of was that the sour face?
Thank you, and I think I was seing things :)
I can see that...but the moment is also a pretty obvious intentional callback to DougieCoop balling his fist when he sees Bushnell's old boxing poster in Part 6. No clue what the significance of ANY of this is, however.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Ross wrote:I wouldn't bet on the events of the book jiving with the show. Perhaps the whole dossier was just a narrative device created for the book.
There have certainly not been a ton of connections between the books and the new show. This is about all I can think of:

1) Audrey survived the bank blast, though maybe not in great shape.
2) Ben Horne clearly survived the events of the original series, though he appeared to be in dire circumstances..
3) Evil Cooper met with Major Briggs shortly after emerging from the Black Lodge. Cooper left town shortly after and disappeared.
4) There's an FBI agent named Tamara "Tammy" Preston

And um ... that's about all I can think of.

I came into the show assuming the book would be vital to understanding what's going on (not that I ever understand what's going on in Twin Peaks), but it does seem to have been pretty unnecessary. Twice now, I've thought we were being introduced to Dougie Milford, the book's central character. Once when we met Dougie Jones and once when we flashbacked to the atomic bomb test. But at this point, I don't think he's going to ever even be mentioned in the show. There are also what appear to be glaring errors, such as a new family history for Norma that doesn't appear to include either a living mother or Annie. This was either sloppiness on Frost's part or an intentional effort by him to retcon some stuff he didn't care for from the original series.

I think I read Frost started the book before he even knew there would be a revival of the show? It doesn't appear when he began re-collaborating with Lynch that Lynch was interested in including many (or any) elements from the book.

Anyway, I only mentioned the book at all because people were asking where its revelations about Major Briggs' dossier fit into the new season. Possibly, it's entirely irrelevant.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

sewhite2000 wrote:
There have certainly not been a ton of connections between the books and the new show. This is about all I can think of:

1) Audrey survived the bank blast, though maybe not in great shape.
2) Ben Horne clearly survived the events of the original series, though he appeared to be in dire circumstances..
3) Evil Cooper met with Major Briggs shortly after emerging from the Black Lodge. Cooper left town shortly after and disappeared.
4) There's an FBI agent named Tamara "Tammy" Preston

And um ... that's about all I can think of.

I came into the show assuming the book would be vital to understanding what's going on (not that I ever understand what's going on in Twin Peaks), but it does seem to have been pretty unnecessary. Twice now, I've thought we were being introduced to Dougie Milford, the book's central character. Once when we met Dougie Jones and once when we flashbacked to the atomic bomb test. But at this point, I don't think he's going to ever even be mentioned in the show. There are also what appear to be glaring errors, such as a new family history for Norma that doesn't appear to include either a living mother or Annie. This was either sloppiness on Frost's part or an intentional effort by him to retcon some stuff he didn't care for from the original series.

I think I read Frost started the book before he even knew there would be a revival of the show? It doesn't appear when he began re-collaborating with Lynch that Lynch was interested in including many (or any) elements from the book.

Anyway, I only mentioned the book at all because people were asking where its revelations about Major Briggs' dossier fit into the new season. Possibly, it's entirely irrelevant.
I've never heard Frost started the book before the revival was launched. Everything I've heard indicates the book was written after the scripts had been written.

The book is kind of in a tough, rather unique position. It can't reveal too much or drop any obvious clues about what will be in the series, and it also can't be compulsory reading since most people probably aren't going to read it (it's probably enough that anyone watching the show is expected to have watched all of the series and FWWM). The only purpose the book can possibly serve is to augment what we see in the series, best case scenario, and to be entertaining.

I do hope it becomes clear after the series is over what was the idea behind the inconsistencies. They are too numerous and obvious not to have been intentional. But now that we know another book is coming out, I wonder if it's not going to be clear until that book is released. Still we are only half way through the series, and it seems clear a lot of things are being saved for the latter half or tail end of the series.

Certainly the way Annie's name was casually dropped blew up the ideas I had that there was a reason Annie was never mentioned in the book.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

diane's phone would say "unknown" b/c dopplecoop no longer had his phone. he was running through burners. i am in the camp that believes diane and dopplecoop are in cahoots.

also...i am in 100% an audrey/coop shipper. if they don't end up together, i will personally go to david lynch's house and....politely ask him why!!! :)

i demand it
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

"It can't be compulsory reading since most people probably aren't going to read it."

Now, THAT's an interesting statement! You clearly gave more thought about what the book could and couldn't do than I did. When I first learned it was coming out, I asked a friend of mine, "Am I going to have to read this thing to understand what's going on in the new season?" I really wanted to go into the new season not knowing anything. My first thought was surely I could skip the book and be all right. But I grew increasingly agitated as the release date neared and then started thinking well, it would be a canny marketing ploy if they put absolutely critical revelations in the book, so everyone who wants to watch the show will have to read it to get a full understanding. And so, I read it.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

djsunyc wrote: also...i am in 100% an audrey/coop shipper. if they don't end up together, i will personally go to david lynch's house and....politely ask him why!!! :)

i demand it
Maybe in a parallel universe. In this one, prepare for disappointment.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I haven't read the book, and I feel free to enjoy the show. I notice a lot of fans who read the book are somewhat tortured by it. Now I am not saying it was wrong to read the book and try to correlate events. Not at all. I'm just observing.

I have also only seen parts of the Missing Pieces. Now THAT'S something I should try to watch in full. It seems to be near canon to the story, if not strict canon, especially with regard to Jeffries.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I would certainly recommend reading TSHOTP to anyone enjoying the new season. It enrichens the experience considerably. I doubt if Part 8 would have felt as rich to me if I hadn't read the book first. A few examples of how the book and show work together is the following:
Spoiler:
In part 3 Bobby tells us that his father died in a fire in the observatory where he worked. From the book we know that DoubleCooper went to visit Mayor Briggs right before that occurred - and that the mayor sent out a Mayday distress call. We are also given a list of agents that have worked on Blue Rose cases - and surprisingly that Cole and Jeffries have had shady dealings in the Twin Peaks area in the past.
Basically, if you are enjoying the 'the audience is the detective' experience of the new season, you'll want to soak up the extra clues and extra mystery provided by the book. Furthermore it's a great read. Long story short - I hope that the book will eventually be appreciated on equal footing with the show. It deserves it.