POLL: Old Peaks or new Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which Twin Peaks do you prefer?

Old Peaks (Original run + FWWM)
40%
New Peaks (2017)
60%

Total votes: 105
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: Old Peaks or new Peaks?

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

BOB1 wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Why not both?
Heellloooo - if you choose both, what's the fun in choosing? ;)
I mean - some people just don't like choosing, rating, listing etc. so that's fine. But I imagine if one starts a thread like this and posts a question like this, it is because this person likes tough choices. And if you answer "both" or "I don't know", it's no fun at all! :)
For me there's no fun in pairing something down to one or the other, but if that's your thing different strokes my man
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

BOB1 wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:FWWM should either be its own separate choice or grouped with The Return, which it resembles much more than the original show.
Totally disagreed.
Agreed with your disagreement ;)

It'd seem like a weird thing to say back in 1992, but I do see FWWM as in many ways very of a piece with the original TP -- or, more precisely, the Lynch-directed episodes. While it's also different in many ways, as has been discussed a ton here and elsewhere, I think FWWM is still far closer to those episodes than to The Return.

Part of it is the craftsmanship, and the aesthetic of Lynch. In the early 90s (or hell - really from '86 to '01), shooting on film, Lynch had a very precise style. His images were messy but still usually gorgeous or seductive. The veneer of celluloid helped suck us into that world.

Now, I do like TR (and love some parts of it), but it just feels to me very of a piece with Lynch's kind of throwing-stuff-at-a-wall-and-seeing-what-sticks method he's been doing since the early/mid 2000s after MD. The digital look (even much more polished here than in IE), the less classical and refined and exacting style... I'm not saying it's shoddy but it almost feels that way at times strictly in comparison to those beautiful celluloid works like BV, FWWM, LH, TSS, MD, etc. There's a more ramshackle quality to this 2010s Lynch. Can you imagine him doing something as perfect as the first 40 minutes of LH now? I mean, Episode 8 was kind of perfect in its own way, but there's a certain quality to those earlier works that seems different to me - I'd probably have to hash all this out in another post. But it's part of why I kind of have an inherent preference of the original series over TR - in addition to the fact of how much I love that original series, and how we're only halfway through the new season. But I'd be lying if I said I expected to prefer TR at some point. It's just not quite my thing like 86-99 Lynch was.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

BOB1 wrote: I mean - some people just don't like choosing, rating, listing etc. so that's fine. But I imagine if one starts a thread like this and posts a question like this, it is because this person likes tough choices.
Thanks. That is indeed the point of this thread. I did indeed want to push the board to make a decision and hopefully spark up some interesting discussion. But actually, no, generally I don't like making choices like these. When someone asks me to make a top 5 list of movies, directors, or musicians, I always just name a bunch without a particular order. It does not suit my philosophy at all to assign static values of quality when it comes to aesthetics. Therefore, I can totally imagine why people either don't want to make the choice or say it's nonsense to do so.

I deliberately made the poll so that one is able to change their vote at any time. Mostly so because I knew my own vote would be very vulnerable to change. My vote was for new Peaks because I am enjoying it more at this moment in time. However, it's far from improbable that after this season is over and probably a long while of discussing, reading and dreaming about it after that, I will be leaning towards the good ol' Peaks again.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

So far I prefer the David Lynch directed Old Peaks to New Peaks. So far being a key term. Part 8 was the only episode of the New Peaks so far that has clearly belongs in the conversation of best episode/movie in the franchise. But we're only halfway through.

All of the above are way better than the non David Lynch directed episodes of Peaks. There are some really good episodes in this group, but they are just good episodes of conventional television. Everything about Twin Peaks that has transcended the barriers of conventional television has come from David Lynch.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I don't agree. The first season as a WHOLE was something unique. Obviously the most "barrier-transcending" things came from Lynch himself in Pilot and, even more, Ep.2. But are we talking about the quality of being unique or the quality of having the highest quality? Because yes, it was Lynch who was the pioneer, no doubt, but it was the whole Season 1 which was perfection (as well as a blockbuster). Personally, I find neither the Pilot, nor Ep.2 the best instalments of Season 1 (I choose the last night, ie. Eps.6 & 7 over them) - but that's up to personal taste. My point is just that I never subscribed to the generally-agreed consensus that the Lynch-directed episodes are by far superior to others. Unless we talk about Eps.17-29, then yeah... Ep.29 is probably better than the other 12 taken together ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

should have been a 3rd option in the poll
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

BOB1 wrote:I don't agree. The first season as a WHOLE was something unique. Obviously the most "barrier-transcending" things came from Lynch himself in Pilot and, even more, Ep.2. But are we talking about the quality of being unique or the quality of having the highest quality? Because yes, it was Lynch who was the pioneer, no doubt, but it was the whole Season 1 which was perfection (as well as a blockbuster). Personally, I find neither the Pilot, nor Ep.2 the best instalments of Season 1 (I choose the last night, ie. Eps.6 & 7 over them) - but that's up to personal taste. My point is just that I never subscribed to the generally-agreed consensus that the Lynch-directed episodes are by far superior to others. Unless we talk about Eps.17-29, then yeah... Ep.29 is probably better than the other 12 taken together ;)
It is up to personal taste. To me, even with the best episodes of season 1 not directed by Lynch, there's a level of craftsmanship and artistry in the Lynch directed episodes that the others never came close to matching. On a purely script level some of those episodes certainly are up to par, but in terms of creating mood, atmosphere and just having a genuinely distinctive aesthetic, Lynch raised it to another level.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

The new season so far is a marvel for me. Even when I love a series, I usually only watch it two or three times, with several months or years between every rewatch. With the new season of Twin Peaks I have rewatched every episode at least 10 times with an ongoing fascination. This is something I've never experienced before. Before every new episode I'm nervous like a little kid. I love the old seasons and FWWM, but my vote has to go for the new season.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Nope. Not going there.

If FWWM was on its own rather than lumped in with season 1 and 2, I might have been persuaded to vote but as it is, nope.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?