Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Methedrome wrote:I'm surprised so many people are hearing "Sycamore Trees" in that piano scene.
I immediately thought it was going to be the rising part in "Laura Palmer's Theme" by those first few notes.
Same!
Thirded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

I didn't see the piano player listed in the credits. Did anyone figure out who he is? Curious. He's playing a new Badalamenti composition, though, not "sycamore trees"

Dougie seems to be waking up a bit, though. It was really interesting that Mike beckoned him to come towards that cafe...where he then purchased a cherry pie, thus saving his life? I was MIke or the arm in the Mitchum brother's dream as well?

I loved that woman honking the horn in her car, though. That was amazing. The timing and pacing of that scene was just classic. It kept going and going at a fever pitch, but moving nowhere. Reminded me of the famous traffic jam scene in Godard's "weekend"
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i'm calling a brutal death to the mitchum brothers (as they are saving dougiecoop) courtesy of dooplecoops gang.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:If that scene is the one from the spoilers of the kids finding the body (I actually thought it would be more gruesome than that) isnt Mark Frosts son in that scene? Good to see lots of spoiler stuff.
Yes- I think its the oldest of the three kids. The other two kids in the scene were uncredited I believe. (As was the pianist at the end)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

djsunyc wrote:i'm calling a brutal death to the mitchum brothers (as they are saving dougiecoop) courtesy of dooplecoops gang.
Similarly, I'm calling a brutal death to Anthony Sinclair - same time & place as the Mitchums.
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
ArthurKing

Post by ArthurKing »

Before connecting the call to sheriff Truman, we could here Lucy saying something about Andy not being home much. Made me wonder what that was about. Would imagine Andy in fact being home much.

First post here btw :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Obviously there has been a bit of shuffling of scenes around. We know the Andy/Lucy chair scene a couple of eps back was moved (based on Lucy's clothes). And here she is talking about that scene. Also, Jesse is at the station right after he's at the RR traffic scene.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

PeteMartell wrote:It was really interesting that Mike beckoned him to come towards that cafe...where he then purchased a cherry pie, thus saving his life? I was MIke or the arm in the Mitchum brother's dream as well?
What's crazy is I didn't even notice Mike in that scene at all. I was focused on a woman sitting down in the distance that looked very similar to Naido. I thought Dougie was drawn towards her. Even if I was just seeing things there, that's a pretty bizarre coincidence!
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Post by Harry Yallrite »

cgs027 wrote:
PeteMartell wrote:It was really interesting that Mike beckoned him to come towards that cafe...where he then purchased a cherry pie, thus saving his life? I was MIke or the arm in the Mitchum brother's dream as well?
What's crazy is I didn't even notice Mike in that scene at all. I was focused on a woman sitting down in the distance that looked very similar to Naido. I thought Dougie was drawn towards her. Even if I was just seeing things there, that's a pretty bizarre coincidence!

I'm sure it was Mike who helped conjure up Bradley Mitchum's dream the night before.
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

wxray wrote:
TheGum wrote:Re- Miriam survived

Just wanted to make a comment about possible multiple timelines, time slips, intentional inconsistencies that will ultimately make sense. In the past couple episodes many have commented on possible sloppy filming (specifically Johnny and Miriam breathing) only to be proven wrong. I happened to finish The Secret History of Twin Peaks today, as well as watch episode 7 again with my girlfriend who hadn't yet seen it. I think we need to seriously consider changes in time somehow. The numerous inconsistencies in the book and sly comments from Frost are a huge clue, but also- that two minute scene of the guy sweeping where nothing happens? That may be our guide- a familiar place is introduced, a classic track plays, seemingly nothing happens but what if that is the point. Immediately afterward we see the ominous shot of the woods, generally foreshadowing evil in TP, and cut to another familiar set, with a classic song playing, but literally half the crowd completely changes in a single shot as the audio kind of clicks. There haven't really been mistakes in this show, it's all been rather intentional and purpose driven. I think this should be discussed.
I'm ignoring most of the mistakes. There are mistakes. And it makes it hard to weed out the "breathing and dead" from just plain dumb mistakes.

My biggest gripe is geography. Great to see real Washington this year! Not so great to see Fake South Dakota. I can't take my eyes off the Eucalyptus trees growing where they can't. Very distracting. But the worst was last episode. Palm tree in SD. This should be an easy CGI clean up, but they failed to do so. It is distracting, or maybe it is some grand message to the fans that this really isn't South Dakota. Ha ha.sdpalm.JPG
Yet you don't have a problem with the mammoth portal over said tree. :lol: :wink:
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

ArthurKing wrote:Before connecting the call to sheriff Truman, we could here Lucy saying something about Andy not being home much. Made me wonder what that was about. Would imagine Andy in fact being home much.

First post here btw :)
Welcome!
There is clearly a weird environment in TP, and I think that Andy is one of the main symptoms. In an earlier episode the dispatcher mentions that Andy went to check an OD at the local high school. I mean, Andy of all? To me that leads to believe that even Andy - who now also speaks to homicide suspects - has been desensitized to violence and death. Twin Peaks is bad now; I mean, really bad. They don't even pretend to be the happy town as they did in S1/2. The secrets are out, they all acknowledge drugs and suffering. They don't hide it anymore.

Hopefully there is some good left, and this series will do the opposite of the original run. Instead of uncovering all the hidden bad, we will see the uncovering of the hidden good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

richsmith wrote:Aside obviously from Episode 8, that might have been the best part since the first four.
My thoughts exactly !
It was a great part. Very, very lively. A lot of emotions, of laughs, of music. It was needed now that we're entering slowly the last third of the season.

- First, I loved how furious the beginning is, with the ominous background music, very much like in Part 1 & 2 and Mulholland Dr. It was maybe the TP scenes I prefered this season. The traffic scene is great. And I find you a bit harsh with Shelly. I think Red's arrival is less judgmental than ironic : it's not really that Shelly doesn't care about Becky, is that she's still a girl herself and is, in fact, exactly like her daughter. Since we all know Red is as bad as Steven. Bobby is left here all alone, like he's the only grown-up at the table.

- I was a bit disappointed by how cheap the portail looked like... Compared to Episode 8, it's really night and day ! About the famous shot of the bearded men in the stairs, I didn't noticed the wallpapers like some of you did but it seems to me that it's the same stairs than in the final trailer ! So I think we're going to see it again... :)

- All the Las Vegas scenes were thrilling but looked also really gorgeous, especially the musical montage which I found as beautiful as comic (with Dougie being completely absent and looking at nothing). Plus, I have to admit I was really stressed out because of the pictures with Knepper, Belushi and MacLachlan in the spoilers section. Belushi looked so furious and angry in those ! So I was sure something was going to explode and was afraid that Bushnell (who I really like though) had set up poor Dougie. So in the end having seen these pictures helped building up the momentum for me !

- I love the fact that, even if Dougie hadn't given them the money, the Mitchum brothers would have spared his life because of the cherry pie ! Last week, I was saying about Janey-E that the irony of her sequence in Part 5 with Jeremy Davies was that even gangster were better persons than her and were nicer to Dougie. It was exactly the same here. They really spending time with him, becoming "friends" and it's with them that, like a lot of you have said, Dougie is closer to becoming Cooper again. Not with awful Janey-E who only thinks about herself and won't have a mystical dream in her life ! :evil: But I'm sure she will be glad when the Mitchum brothers are going to set up a gym room for Sonny Jim ! :roll:

Coop being Coop again :) :

Part 8 > Part 3 > Part 1 > Part 11 > Part 4 > Part 7 > Part 10 > Part 5 > Part 2 > Part 6 > Part 9
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Jacob wrote: Image
Is that "Mother" at the bottom of the frame, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

dustoff wrote:
Jacob wrote: Image
Is that "Mother" at the bottom of the frame, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Yeah, weird right ? I made a few screenshots 10 minutes ago and of the bunch, I decided to put this one because of this "thing". It's really quick, we can't see it on the other frames :?
GrapesOnTheEdge

Post by GrapesOnTheEdge »

Re: Hastings's and Davenport's bodies -- everything is lined up for some stellar "bad headache" puns in the autopsy room from Constance and/or Albert.

Where does one acquire a tin whistle that summons taxis? Dr. Amp's website?

Children in this season are definitely edgier and more important than any Little Nicky story lines. The 1-1-9 kid, Sonny Jim, the young girl ingesting the frog-bug, the hit and run kid, the gunshot kid, the convulsing kid in the car, a simple game of catch subverted by a bleeding woman.

When I saw Jim Belushi's name on the roster of actors before the show started, I was not happy. Eleven episodes in and now I want more. He's been great. Knepper, too.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope this is the last of Lucy. Her moments have been so colossally off that I can't take it anymore. And this episode's was just a rehash of material we saw a bunch of times the first go-round.

The shooting/honking/vomiting scene at the Double R was insane. Shelly & Bobby are married! No, they're split up! Norma has more parental sway over Becky than her actual parents! Shelly cares about her daughter! No, she leaves and makes out with a drug dealer/coin mystic right in front of her sobbing daughter! Gunshots! Norma is well-versed in nighttime shoot-outs and knows to immediately kill the lights (must've learned that in paperwork-in-a-diner-booth school)! The kid who looks at Bobby like, "Yeah I just shot up a crowded restaurant. What're you gonna do about it?"! The honking and yelling! First mention of Big Ed! Trippy Exorcist child leaking blue/green fluid while Bobby does nothing to help!...and scene.