Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

I don't even know where to begin with Deputy Holcomb, but there's something really interesting about that guy. The way he gazes off into the distance in the scene where Chad's being obnoxious about Truman's son, it's both beautiful and odd. I'd normally chalk that one up to Lynch directing him to do that just because it's something Lynch felt like doing on the spur of the moment, but this stopping to ask Truman to look at his car felt odd and more than a little creepy. Probably just me but I definitely felt relieved that Truman turned him down..
Isaiah6113

Post by Isaiah6113 »

dustoff wrote:Also, haven't heard this mentioned: How great is Carl Rodd's little flute?
Loved Carl's Summoning Flute!! We laughed when he trilled for his ride!
GrapesOnTheEdge

Post by GrapesOnTheEdge »

Pinky wrote:I don't even know where to begin with Deputy Holcomb, but there's something really interesting about that guy. The way he gazes off into the distance in the scene where Chad's being obnoxious about Truman's son, it's both beautiful and odd. I'd normally chalk that one up to Lynch directing him to do that just because it's something Lynch felt like doing on the spur of the moment, but this stopping to ask Truman to look at his car felt odd and more than a little creepy. Probably just me but I definitely felt relieved that Truman turned him down..
I have really enjoyed this character, too. He is out Andy-ing Andy.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Yep. "Let's rock!" right ?
At this point I also think that Janey-E and Sonny Jim will die. The two gangsters didn't kill Dougie which means that now the other insurer (forgot his name!) has to kill Dougie. Given how clunky the insurer is, and how he overacts, he will make a mistake on his first murder attempt and kill Dougie's family :( That's my feeling about it...

I think a bad fate for Dougie's family is definitely a possibility now. Don't forget that DoppelCoop (who was nowhere in Ep 11!! and it was still awesome), is sending Hutch to Vegas to deal with Dougie after warden Murphy. And Tom Sizemore might also be directly after him, given Duncan Todd's instructions.

But I'm also curious about who else is going to start hunting for Dougie -- esp. whether the FBI will follow up on the ring found in Briggs' stomach. Now that they've seen the "site", that might be the next step.

Or whether even the returned Great Northern key will somehow come and put people on the path.

Or maybe Dougie makes the news again with his newfound alliance with the Mitchums. Somebody needs to notice to Dougie who doesn't also want him dead....!
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

thedarktrees wrote: But I'm also curious about who else is going to start hunting for Dougie -- esp. whether the FBI will follow up on the ring found in Briggs' stomach. Now that they've seen the "site", that might be the next step.
Assuming the fingerprints 'ping' the FBI, they'll follow that trail to find out that the finger prints were lifted from someone called Dougie. Then a connection will be made, although they'll probably be more concerned that he looks exactly like Cooper.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Hockey Mask wrote: Yet you don't have a problem with the mammoth portal over said tree. :lol: :wink:
Ha ha ha, good point. :)

I think really, that's what I mean. There are errors in production, and we gotta let some of them go. As for the portal, I liked it. You're right! I thought it was kind of cool.

Speaking of good production, I also enjoyed the stuntwork with the car. I had to slow it way down to see it was a stunt woman and not some CGI Madchen.

And speaking of stunts, I agree that we all need a special whistle to dial up our own personal VW taxi service.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
thedarktrees wrote: But I'm also curious about who else is going to start hunting for Dougie -- esp. whether the FBI will follow up on the ring found in Briggs' stomach. Now that they've seen the "site", that might be the next step.
Assuming the fingerprints 'ping' the FBI, they'll follow that trail to find out that the finger prints were lifted from someone called Dougie. Then a connection will be made, although they'll probably be more concerned that he looks exactly like Cooper.
Right -- forgot that the Fusco detectives are on his trail too. There's a bunch of people closing in on him.
KHAN Games

Post by KHAN Games »

You guys are continuing to set yourselves up for disappointment thinking that Cooper is going to snap out of being Dougie anytime soon.

This entire season is about Cooper's escape from the black lodge. This whole process is that story. I'm pretty sure when the real Cooper returns, it's going to be the final moment of the last episode.

I'd love to be wrong. But to me it makes sense.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

My favorite "weirded out" or offbeat parts of Part 11 were Bushnell shown doing desk push-ups while waiting for Dougie & the coffee kid; and first seeing Rodney Mitchum eating his breakfast cereal, it looked to ME like creamed corn. I decided it was probably Corn Pops b/c of the color. Then when Belushi brother ("Bradley"?) joins him, well of COURSE we're shown what cereal he's eating, we see the Raisin Bran box and everything! It felt like Lynch trolling me as I'd been straining to figure out if in fact corn vs cereal was in Rodney's bowl, but we never see for certain. Instead we're saluted hand over fist with what Bradley's cereal brand is, but I only cared about the garmanbozia-looking stuff Rodney kept eating.

The "Candie is actually Laura" thing, I possess zero logical faculty for making sense of that theory. The Lynchian maneuver that would most support this from the past must be Lost Highway when they had dual identities split between Pullman's and Getty's characters, I guess. But thus far TPTR has had more allusions to Kubrick** and some German abstract expressionist tribute in feel and style; the occasional references to Lynch's own earlier works have been mere glimpses like a wink from the past, not informing an entire story/plot development (yet).

**The zombie nature of several scenes, such as Miriam emerging from the woods bloodied and dragging herself along; or the vomiting child whose dead-eyed expression capped off an already-bizarre scene in their honking car -- well I'd been reading that director George Romero ("Night of the Living Dead", "Dawn of the Dead") passed away barely a week ago. I KNOW it's just coincidence but it creeps me the hell out, since there hadn't been much zombie-like reference in TPTR until this? Excepting the woodsmen crushing skulls like Hastings' ..Then IRL the world loses Romero, and then us Peaks fans are watching this zombie-like flavor characterize a couple of the intense scenes where I wouldn't have looked for them, as with Miriam or the honking lady's passenger. This coincidence creeped me out more than ANYTHING else in Part 11~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

My money is on Coop waking up in part 13. That's likely when Hawk and Truman are going up to find the place mentioned in Major Briggs' tube and I think that events there will tie somehow to Coop waking up.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

KHAN Games wrote:I'm pretty sure when the real Cooper returns, it's going to be the final moment of the last episode.
I disagree -- but that doesn't mean the people who are obsessing on it shouldn't take a breather and be patient!

The Twin Peaks-centered story is finally starting to pick up real momentum. It's almost time...
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Troubbble wrote:
KHAN Games wrote:I'm pretty sure when the real Cooper returns, it's going to be the final moment of the last episode.
I disagree -- but that doesn't mean the people who are obsessing on it shouldn't take a breather and be patient!

The Twin Peaks-centered story is finally starting to pick up real momentum. It's almost time...
He will.There are 2 shots of Cooper from the teasers that we havent seen till now
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wasn't too thrilled with last week, but I found myself warming to it again this week. I've been rewatching the original series and it's quite striking just how different this new series is from the original one. I still count myself a bigger fan of the original series, I've been back and forth on the new one. But I think a rewatch will make me like the new one even more.

I think Cooper will return soon - but maybe not fully. But my bet is on Episode 12 for the process to really start. Otherwise, it might not be until the finale. I could also see Lynch choosing to never let him wake up - but I'm not sure how that would tie into footage we've already seen in the trailers and some spoilers we're aware of. Won't mention the spoilers but he'd have to partially wake up surely to be driving a car like he is in the trailer - and to be stepping out of the light? Those things look like Cooper is awake, don't they? At least partially awake if not fully? i.e. no longer quite in "Rain Man" mode at least.

I hope we see Audrey and Big Ed soon. Of the original cast, I think they're the main two we haven't seen. I'd hoped Josie*, Catherine, Annie, or some others who weren't listed as returning might put in a surprise appearance, but that's beginning to look increasingly unlikely. I'd like to see a little more of Gersten Hayward and Norma doing something outside of the Double RR - one big scene with her and Ed would be great. And more James please!

*On rewatching Episode 27 of the original series, I think it's significant how Ben whips around with a terrified look on his face, and we hear a brief humming, then cut to Pete saying "Josie, I see your face". Makes me think the humming we've seen is Josie - but then again Episode 27 is also the one where characters hands started to shake, so it might just mean the lodge is close or seeping out into Twin Peaks.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

He will.There are 2 shots of Cooper from the teasers that we havent seen till now
one being of him driving a car, which suggests by that time he has his wits about him...
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Still no obvious mechanism by which the return of the GN room key becomes common knowledge.