Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 11 - There's fire where you are going (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

douglasb wrote:Still no obvious mechanism by which the return of the GN room key becomes common knowledge.
Ben took proper notice of it when it arrived, but has apparently been distracted by his grandson's rampage. Expect him to reach out to Frank Truman about it eventually--though maybe it was just a tease?
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

KHAN Games wrote:You guys are continuing to set yourselves up for disappointment thinking that Cooper is going to snap out of being Dougie anytime soon.

This entire season is about Cooper's escape from the black lodge. This whole process is that story. I'm pretty sure when the real Cooper returns, it's going to be the final moment of the last episode.

I'd love to be wrong. But to me it makes sense.
Same. I don't know if it'll be that far in (my guess is the 2nd to last episode), but it certainly doesn't feel like it'll happen anytime soon and I think i'm alright with that.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Some have said deputy Holcomb works the comical/ absurd/ deadpan/ earnest-yet-out-there vibe in a vein similar to Deputy Andy Brennan from S1-2.
I agree -- I can't find who quipped about the "Sheriff want to come see my new car?" (or was he asking Hawk?) as possibly code for something, but I agree with that too.

As for channeling past performances I have to hand it to the Mitchums for reproducing the old Ben & Jerry Horne schtick while giving it their own spin. They won me over last episode, and now I look forward to their appearances~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Framed_Angel wrote: As for channeling past performances I have to hand it to the Mitchums for reproducing the old Ben & Jerry Horne schtick while giving it their own spin. They won me over last episode, and now I look forward to their appearances~
Belushi in particular is great. I love what Lynch has done with him.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Troubbble wrote:
douglasb wrote:Still no obvious mechanism by which the return of the GN room key becomes common knowledge.
Ben took proper notice of it when it arrived, but has apparently been distracted by his grandson's rampage. Expect him to reach out to Frank Truman about it eventually--though maybe it was just a tease?
I think it was more underscoring how "Good Ben" is useless when called for help. He pockets the key, he never calls anyone to look for his lost, stoned brother who called him in a panic, he can't identify the source of the hum, and Sylvia's call devolves into a money argument with no plan of action against Richard.

Maybe if he goes for it with Beverly he'll get his Evil Mojo back and start doing things, like following up on the mysterious key. Or even just calling Bobby (who used to work for him) to go arrest Richard, and casually mentioning the key.

Come on Ben, give in to your bad self. Send the grandson to his end.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

BEARisonFord wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote: As for channeling past performances I have to hand it to the Mitchums for reproducing the old Ben & Jerry Horne schtick while giving it their own spin. They won me over last episode, and now I look forward to their appearances~
Belushi in particular is great. I love what Lynch has done with him.
Agree. He had me laughing out loud multiple times last night, and the culmination of the scene in the desert was pure joy to watch.

Favorite moment might have been his enthusiasm before the meeting: "I can't WAIT to kill this guy!"
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

BEARisonFord wrote:
KHAN Games wrote:You guys are continuing to set yourselves up for disappointment thinking that Cooper is going to snap out of being Dougie anytime soon.

This entire season is about Cooper's escape from the black lodge. This whole process is that story. I'm pretty sure when the real Cooper returns, it's going to be the final moment of the last episode.

I'd love to be wrong. But to me it makes sense.
Same. I don't know if it'll be that far in (my guess is the 2nd to last episode), but it certainly doesn't feel like it'll happen anytime soon and I think i'm alright with that.
I am not sure you know? Yesterday's dinner scene was quite powerful. I don't think that Lynch will waste it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArthurKing

Post by ArthurKing »

yaxomoxay wrote:
ArthurKing wrote:Before connecting the call to sheriff Truman, we could here Lucy saying something about Andy not being home much. Made me wonder what that was about. Would imagine Andy in fact being home much.

First post here btw :)
Welcome!
There is clearly a weird environment in TP, and I think that Andy is one of the main symptoms. In an earlier episode the dispatcher mentions that Andy went to check an OD at the local high school. I mean, Andy of all? To me that leads to believe that even Andy - who now also speaks to homicide suspects - has been desensitized to violence and death.
Thanks! I was just wondering could Andy's abcence from home have any significance. At least I started wondering where he's spending his time, and with who. I really like how TPTR drops so much small stuff that makes you feel this could be a major clue! Or maybe just trivial insignificant small talk...
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Ragnell wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
I think it was more underscoring how "Good Ben" is useless when called for help. He pockets the key, he never calls anyone to look for his lost, stoned brother who called him in a panic, he can't identify the source of the hum, and Sylvia's call devolves into a money argument with no plan of action against Richard.

Maybe if he goes for it with Beverly he'll get his Evil Mojo back and start doing things, like following up on the mysterious key. Or even just calling Bobby (who used to work for him) to go arrest Richard, and casually mentioning the key.

Come on Ben, give in to your bad self. Send the grandson to his end.
I hear what you're saying, if he turns out to keep the key to himself... But the way this story is edited, the first scene of the next episode could be Ben dropping by the Sheriff's station! We've been fooled before by plot threads which appeared to be dropped, only to rear their heads again before long.

Your thoughts on the "good" Ben may be on the money, but I'm not sure. Something feels seriously different about him in a much deeper sense than before, with his cartoonish transformation in the original series.

I'm sure Audrey and Richard have a lot to do with it - and I'm expecting him to show the full extent of his goodness before this is over.
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

yaxomoxay wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote: Same. I don't know if it'll be that far in (my guess is the 2nd to last episode), but it certainly doesn't feel like it'll happen anytime soon and I think i'm alright with that.
I am not sure you know? Yesterday's dinner scene was quite powerful. I don't think that Lynch will waste it.

Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I'm aware I don't know. I don't think Lynch is wasting anything, but also any pre-conceived notions I had of seeing this narrative revolve around a "classic" Agent Cooper have long gone out the window.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

BEARisonFord wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
BEARisonFord wrote: Same. I don't know if it'll be that far in (my guess is the 2nd to last episode), but it certainly doesn't feel like it'll happen anytime soon and I think i'm alright with that.

Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I'm aware I don't know. I don't think Lynch is wasting anything, but also any pre-conceived notions I had of seeing this narrative revolve around a "classic" Agent Cooper have long gone out the window.
Well, I don't expect Cooper to wake up and become S1 Cooper. I expect that Cooper will wake up, but he will still have to live through the trauma of 25 years in the lodge, of having allowed evilCoop out, and possibly to have caused death etc., all on top of a world that changed so quickly.
I think that the Cooper/Dougie we see now is just the outer layer of a much more traumatized Cooper. It's just the beginning of his ordeal; thus the need to come back to TP and fight evilCoop. That will be just the beginning. He's going to be scarred in a dark, awful way. I don't think he's going to be the optimist, happy Cooper we know ever again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

ArthurKing wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
ArthurKing wrote:Before connecting the call to sheriff Truman, we could here Lucy saying something about Andy not being home much. Made me wonder what that was about. Would imagine Andy in fact being home much.

First post here btw :)
Welcome!
There is clearly a weird environment in TP, and I think that Andy is one of the main symptoms. In an earlier episode the dispatcher mentions that Andy went to check an OD at the local high school. I mean, Andy of all? To me that leads to believe that even Andy - who now also speaks to homicide suspects - has been desensitized to violence and death.
Thanks! I was just wondering could Andy's abcence from home have any significance. At least I started wondering where he's spending his time, and with who. I really like how TPTR drops so much small stuff that makes you feel this could be a major clue! Or maybe just trivial insignificant small talk...
Picnics with Nadine, the town millionaire? Accepting gifts of Rolex watches?
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

Amazing episode! About The Good Dale and Mister C., I don't know if that's been mentioned here (sorry if it has): Mister C. as disappeared from the screen since the beginning of episode 9, just after Bob seemed to be taken out of his abdomen. Is the rebirth of The Good Dale based on the slow death of Mr C.? Is Dougie gradually becoming Dale as Mr. C. loses his strength? Would that be why Mister C. had to have Dougie Jones killed quickly, because he know that as the Good Dale take strenght in his new body, he will lose his?
Last edited by oxyboldine on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

I hope someone called Janey-E and told her that Dougie had a business dinner so she doesn't worry.
I got more of an Exorcist/ Pet Sematary (Oz the Gweat and Tewwible) vibe from the puking kid in the honking car. Twisted and unsettling for sure.
I can't wait to see how Anthony reacts when he realizes it is now up to him to kill Dougie. I can see the Mitchum boys putting the kibosh on any attempt on Dougie's life with a cobra-like quickness.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Well, I don't expect Cooper to wake up and become S1 Cooper. I expect that Cooper will wake up, but he will still have to live through the trauma of 25 years in the lodge, of having allowed evilCoop out, and possibly to have caused death etc., all on top of a world that changed so quickly.
I think that the Cooper/Dougie we see now is just the outer layer of a much more traumatized Cooper. It's just the beginning of his ordeal; thus the need to come back to TP and fight evilCoop. That will be just the beginning. He's going to be scarred in a dark, awful way. I don't think he's going to be the optimist, happy Cooper we know ever again.

EXACTLY this and is beautifully stated in the AV Club review today

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/someones-w ... ast-258484

Last edited by wAtChLaR on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know